Xubuntu 6.10 released!
Today, 27 October 2006, Jani Monoses announced the final release of Xubuntu 6.10, codename Edgy Eft.
The Xubuntu community is happy to announce the release of Xubuntu 6.10,
codenamed "Edgy Eft". This release includes both installable Desktop CDs
and alternate text-mode installation CDs for several architectures.
Xubuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast
and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent
packages installed by default, every other package you can imagine
available with a few clicks.
- Upstart, which replaces the old "init" system. This allows for substantially faster bootup times. More information on Upstart here.
- Firefox 2.0, the newest release of the state-of-the-art webbrowser.
- Completely redesigned artwork, improving the bootup splash screen, the login window and the desktop theme.
- No more scary text during bootup.
- Gaim 2.0.0beta3.1, a large leap forward for this multi-protocol instant messaging client, including a great many tweaks to the UI, Yahoo Doodles, ICQ file transfer, SIP support and much more.
- gxine to replace Xfmedia.
- system-config-printer, the new printer GUI from Fedora Core 6.
- gcalctool, a calculator application, and dict, a dictionary panel plugin.
- Updated versions of Abiword, a free, light-weight word processor, and Gnumeric, a free spreadsheet editor.
- Xfce 4.4 BETA 2, the latest version of the Desktop Environment that sets Xubuntu apart, with Trash can support, increased accessibility support, and more. For a complete overview of the changes since BETA 1, please go here.
This release experienced some delay and therefore was released later than Ubuntu and the other Ubuntu derivatives. This was due to possible problems when upgrading from the previous version of Xubuntu, which made Jani Monoses decide to wait with the release announcement so as to avoid problems.