505TH INFANTRY REGIMENT

505th Infantry Regiment Distinctive Unit Insignia

505th Infantry Regiment Coat of Arms

DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA

COAT OF ARMS

Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 5/16 inches (3.33 cm) in height overall, consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent, four bendlets Azure surmounted by a winged Black panther salient inverted Proper, that part on the bendlets fimbriated of the first. On a wreath Argent and Azure, a winged arrowhead point down Gules, in front of a cloud Proper. Attached below the shield a Blue scroll turned Silver and inscribed "H-MINUS" in Silver.
   
         Symbolism: Blue and white are used for Infantry. The black panther symbolizes stealth, speed and courage, all characteristics of a good parachutist. The wings are added to represent entry into combat via air, and the bendlets symbolize the unit's parachute drops into combat. The winged red arrowhead is used to represent the regiment's first combat attack in Sicily during World War II.
   
         Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 505th Airborne Infantry Regiment on 24 January 1952. It was redesignated for the 505th Infantry Regiment on 20 May 1958.

Coat of Arms.
   
         Blazon:
   
                 Shield: Argent, four bendlets Azure surmounted by a winged Black panther salient inverted Proper, that part on the bendlets fimbriated of the first.
   
                 Crest: From a wreath Argent and Azure, a winged arrowhead point down Gules, in front of a cloud Proper.
   
                  Motto: H-MINUS.
   
          Symbolism:
   
                  Shield: Blue and white are used for Infantry. The black panther symbolizes stealth, speed and courage, all characteristics of a good parachutist. The wings are added to represent entry into combat via air, and the bendlets symbolize the unit's parachute drops into combat.
   
                  Crest: The winged red arrowhead is used to represent the regiment's first combat attack in Sicily during World War II.
   
                  Background: The coat of arms was originally approved for the 505th Airborne Infantry Regiment on 24 January 1952. It was redesignated for the 505th Infantry Regiment on 20 May 1958.