SEARCH:






 
 

12111 NE 1st Street
Bellevue, WA 98005
( map
)

Page modified on:
Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Home

Today, September 9th, PERC assigned a new mediator and both parties are working with the mediator.


CANCELLATION of Tuesday, September 9, 2008, Special Meeting of Board of Directors 

 


   Because the special meeting notice for Tuesday’s meeting did not provide that public testimony could be heard before the Board considered taking action related to the current BEA strike, and the Board was interested in hearing such testimony; the Board has cancelled this meeting to schedule a meeting where that is possible at a venue large enough to accommodate those who wish to attend.

 

SPECIAL MEETING of the Board of Directors – Wednesday, September 10, 2008, at 7:00 p.m. at Sammamish High School, Performing Arts Center, for the purpose of:

 

          The Board hearing public testimony concerning and the Board taking action regarding collective bargaining with the Bellevue Education Association and potential legal action related to the current BEA strike; and to meet in executive session to discuss with legal counsel matters relating to agency enforcement actions and/or potential litigation. 

 

Bellevue Schools will be closed on Wednesday, September 10, 2008


The Bellevue teachers’ union announced a strike against the Bellevue School District starting Tuesday, September 2.  Because of the strike, all District schools are closed until further notice.
 

We regret the union's decision and the disruption it will cause.  Public employee strikes are illegal in Washington, but the union has nonetheless called the strike to apply pressure on the District in collective bargaining.  Negotiations continue with the assistance of a mediator from the Public Employment Relations Commission.  Information about the issues in dispute and the District's contract proposals can be found on the District website. 

This information will be updated regularly.  In addition to visting our website you can also get updates by checking:

o        24 Hour Newsline, (425) 456 - 4111 (recorded message)

o        Sign up for BSD E-mail Notification at: http://www.bsd405.org/districtnotification

o        Local news stations 

 

Read Open Letter from the Bellevue School Board to Parents > 

 

District Offer:  September 8, 2008 (1:33 p.m.) 


In bargaining today, the district made an offer for three years of supplemental pay increases, which would be in addition to the Cost of Living (COLA) raises given each year by the state:

   

Year

Supplemental Pay Increase on top of COLA

2008-09

1.5%
2009-10 1.0%
2010-11 2.0% (Half of this 2.0% is contingent on passing levies in 2010)
Total 4.5% over COLA

 

Notes

 

  • The size of the COLA is known only for the current year.   For 2008-09 COLA is 5.1%, which would be added to the supplemental pay increase of 1.5%, to total 6.6%.
  • To provide the total increase will require an average class size increase of .76 students by the end of year three, on top of an increase of .8 students this year which was the result of ongoing budget reductions.

Read Bellevue School District Financial Status Statement Made by Dr. Howard Johnson (09/08/2008) PDF >

Quick Links to Information Connected to Bargaining

During the Strike: Questions and Answers


Will there be childcare?

Children already enrolled in the District’s childcare program may sign up for fee-supported services at their regular sites.  Full-day Head Start will also be on its regular schedule.  Half-day pre-school and half-day Head Start is cancelled.  Additional childcare options are available.  Use the following links to access information on services provided by: City of Bellevue and Boys & Girls Clubs of Bellevue; Bellevue Family YMCAJubilee REACH Center 

 

Will there be school sports?

School sports and related practices will continue on their regular schedules.  Practices will occur at the same times they would occur if schools were in session.  No special practices schedules will be permitted.

 

Will community groups be able to use District facilities and fields?
Community use of District facilities and athletic fields will continue for the time being.