174th New York Volunteer Infantry



Lineage | Symbolism | History | Description



Constituted 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Headquarters, 174th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 87th Division.

Organized 25 August 1917 at Camp Pike, Arkansas.

Demobilized in January 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.

Reconstituted 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 174th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 87th Division.

Organized in December 1921 in Shreveport, Louisiana.

Redesignated 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 174th Brigade.

Redesignated 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 174th Infantry Brigade.

Converted and redesignated 13 February 1942 as the 3rd Platoon, 87th Reconnaissance Troop, 87th Division.

Ordered into active military service 15 December 1942 and reorganized at Camp McCain, Mississippi, as the 3rd Platoon, 87th Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 87th Infantry Division.

Reorganized and redesignated 2 August 1943 as the 3rd platoon, 87th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized.

Inactivated 21 September 1945 at Fort Benning, Georgia.

Redesignated 28 April 1947 as the 87th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop.

Activated 12 May 1947 at Birmingham, Alabama.

(Organized reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve).

Reorganized and redesignated 18 May 1949 as the 87th Reconnaissance Company.

Inactivated 1 December 1951 at Birmingham, Alabama.

Converted and redesignated 26 March 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 174th Infantry Brigade.

Withdrawn 24 October 1997 from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army; Headquarters concurrently activated at Fort Drum, New York.

Inactivated 16 October 1999 at Fort Drum, New York.

Headquarters activated 1 December 2006 at Fort Drum, New York.

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT:

World War I
Streamer without inscription

World War II
Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:


JEFFREY J. CLARKE
Chief of Military History


History



One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Infantry.-Cols., Theodore W. Parmelee, Benjamin F. Gott; Lieut.-Cols., Benjamin F. Gott, James M. Vanderburgh; Maj., Stephen D. Beekman.

The 174th, or the 5th National Guard, was recruited in New York city under the auspices of the Metropolitan police; it was organized at Riker's island, and there mustered into the U. S. service for three years on Nov. 13, 1862. The regiment left the state on Dec. 7, sailing for Louisiana, where it was assigned to the 2nd brigade of Emory's division.

During the preliminary operations against Port Hudson, in the 3d brigade, Augur's division, 19th corps, it skirmished on the Clinton plank road, was engaged at Plains store, and then took part in the long siege of Port Hudson, during which it sustained a loss of 14 in killed, wounded and missing.

After the fall of Port Hudson it was severely engaged at Cox's plantation, under command of Maj. George Keating, losing 18 killed, 29 wounded and 7 missing, the heaviest loss sustained by any regiment in the action. The remainder of the year was spent by the regiment in post and garrison duty at Baton Rouge, and on Feb. 8, 1864, it was consolidated with the 162nd N. Y. (q. v.) During its independent existence it lost by death, 1 officer and 22 men killed and mortally wounded; 1 officer and 59 men from disease and other causes-total deaths, 83.



Description



174th insignia A silver color metal and enamel device 1 and 1/7 inches (2.86mm) in height overall consisting of a rayed disc bearing a Revolutionary Soldier issuant from base with musket over his right shoulder all Silver, encircled by a Red designation band of the musket barrel end and two radiating Silver mullets on the right side; superimposed around the base is an oak wreath surmounted by a lightning bolt fesswise Celeste.

Symbolism



The Minuteman or Patriot reflects the Brigade's motto and represents those citizen soldiers who fought for the ideals of liberty and a new way of life. the Freedoms and prosperity we enjoy today we owe to our soldiers past and present. The lightning flash symbolizes quick response: its light blue color is a color used by the infantry. It also identifies the unit's lineage with the 78th Infantry Division's insignia, "The Lightning Division." Silver represents the color white. Red is for valor, sacrifice, and the blood shed in battle. the two stars commemorate the campaign participation credits awarded the Brigade for World War I and World War II. The oak wreath embodies strength and growth; its acorns allude to the growth and building of a new nation after the War of Independence. Today our soldiers must always be there to defend our freedoms, our way of life, and the Homeland. The motto translates to Patriots on Point".