- The Castle
- The Park
- Visitor Info
- News & Events
Eight hundred years ago the See of Durham, the most powerful Diocese in the North, established Auckland Castle as a hunting lodge for the Prince Bishop. Then virtually monarchs in their own kingdom, the Prince Bishops held military, economic and political power in additional to their ecclesiastical authority.
Auckland Castle, placed above the Rivers Wear and Gaunless and some ten miles south west of Durham, was no mere country residence. The town that grew up around the Castle took it’s name from the resident of the Castle. Over hundreds of years the Castle was expanded until it became the official residence of the Bishop in 1832.