Greater Ossining Chamber of Commerce
   Home
About the Chamber
   Executive Board
Member List
Becoming a Member
Bylaws
About Ossining
   Community News
Fast Facts
History
Photos
Maps
Tourist Information
Businesses in Ossining
Opening a Business
Calendar
Job Openings
Site Map
Related Websites
Membership Application
Contact Us
history of Ossining, NY
The area now encompassing Ossining was purchased from the ancient Sinck Sinck Indian tribe in 1685 by Frederick Phiipse whose "Manor" was eventually to reach as far south as the Harlem River in New York City. After the War of Independence, his land was sold to former farming tenants. Along the Hudson River two local developments and docking areas known as Sparta and Mount Pleasant Landing became important as shipping points for local farmers. The Mount Pleasant Landing in 1813 became the first village in Westchester County to be incorporated.
Photo courtesy of Burton and Company. For more views of old Ossining, visit The Postcard Collection


First called Sing Sing, a derivative of the name of the Indian tribe, it was changed to Ossining, also of Indian derivation, in 1903, Functioning primarily as a shipping center for produce sent daily to supply the growing needs of New york City it gradally became a boat building and manufacturing center as well as an important market place.

Photo courtesy of Burton and Company. For more views of old Ossining, visit The Postcard Collection



The grand building in Ossining's historic Main Street "Crescent" testify to the importance of the village by the mid 19th century. The presence of the still active Sing Sing prision from the early 19th century until today has also contributed to the renown of the village.

For more information, visit the Ossining Historical Society website