Antalya Web Site
Home Antalya Hotels Historical Sites Museum Underwater Mountains Cuisine National Parks Caves Waterfall Flora Article
ANCIENT CITIES AND HISTORICAL SITES
Antalya The Inner Bailey Kalkan-Patara Kas Kale-Demre Finike Kemer
Manavgat-Side Serik-Belek Alanya Gazipasa Kumluca Aksu
Alanya
KIZIL KULE (RED TOWER)

After capturing Alanya in 1221, Sultan Aladdin Keykubat gives an order to build a monument which will ensure that Alanya, the symbol of the Turkish rule over the seas, will always stay under the sovereignty of the Turks. Kizil Kule, which still stands strong in its grandeur as it was the day it was built, is named after the reddish stones used in the lower section also after the bricks in the upper section. The cut stones used in the lower section of the tower are believed to be brought from the east of the Dim Strait. Due to the site that Kizil Kule is built on, there is 2 meters difference in elevation between the west side and the east side of the tower. Therefore the height in the east side is 35 meters and the height in the west side is 33 meters. Portraying a smooth octagonal shape the tower is of five storeys. At Kizil Kule, the section which rises up to the fourth floor right in the middle forms the backbone of the tower, is also used as an extension of the museum to exhibit ethnographic artifacts used around Alanya. It is known that water requirement throughout the year was met by collecting the rain water into the cistern during the winter months with the use of small conduits around the tower.

Kizil Kule
Kizil Kule
THE SELJUK SHIPYARD

This shipyard was built two years after the Kizil Kule (Red Tower) in 1228 by Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat. With this effort the Sultan realized his wish of becoming "Sultan -ul- bahreyn" (the Sultan of the two seas) by preventing possible attacks that may come from the east. The shipyard is 56.5 meters long, 44 meters wide and consists of five chambers. Each chamber is 7.70 meters wide and 42.30 meters deep.

The Seljuk Shipyard
The Seljuk Shipyard
ALARA FORTRESS

This is an unusual tower built on a mountain rising straight up from the bed of the Alara stream which is 200 m. north of the Alara Han. It is not known when it was built, but it was repaired by the Seljuks when they captured it in 1231 and it was used for a long time during the Ottoman era.

Alara Fortress
ALARA INN

Thirty kilometres before reaching Alanya on the Antalya-Alanya highway,one has to make a turn to Alara Han and continue 10 kms. It was built in 1231 on the orders of Sultan Alaeddin Keykubat I. It is a very solid construction, entered through a gate with inscriptions and lion heads. It has somewhat the appearance of a fortress as if warding it from aggressors.

Alara Inn
Alara Inn
LEATRES-LEATRI

This historical city is situated 22 kms. from the center of the province, on a hill of 900 m. high Cebelireis Mountain, and is surrounded with sharp drops in the east, west and south directions. Today it is known that in relation to this historical town, coins were minted in the names of Trojan and Empress Herennia Etruscill. Found here churches, baths, cisterns, various dwellings, a small stadium, a theater, colonnaded streets and worshipping places almost all are in a bad condition. The remnant next to the stadium is the center of a church standing with its side naves and abscissa and having traces of red and light blue coloured frescoes in the interior. The innumereous inscriptions and the reliefs depicting the claws of an eagle and ox heads often seen in these ruins inherently takes one back deep into history. According to the inscriptions that are available, this area lived its best period between the first and third centuries. The temples that the city had between these centuries are Zeus-Megistos, Apollon and Caesar.

Leatres-Leatri
SYEDRA ARCHEOLOGICAL RUINS

The city of Syedra is situated on a hill which is the demarcation line between the present day villages of Kargycak and Seki. It is at a distance of 20 kms. to the center of Alanya. The center of the city or the big city is situated on a large hill. Now if you like, let's walk on the colonnaded street on which once the Kings and Queens used to stroll. This road is situated to the north of the temple and extends from east to west. We shall finally conclude our visit after walking along the colonnaded street and observing various ruined buildings on both sides of the road and the wall tabloids made with different colored mosaics that have lost very little from their originality after so many centuries. From the inscriptions and the coins minted in the names of Marcus Aureoles and Antonius between the years 138 and 161 found in the area, this big city is known to be the remnants of the Roman period.

Syedra
Syedra
IOTAPE HISTORICAL PORT CITY

Iotape, which is known as Aytap by the local people, is 30 kms. to the east of Alanya. This city was named after King Antiachus' wife Iotape. During the progressing years, especially in the Roman Emperor Trainus (98-117) period, he had coins minted for his name. Although, this city has the appearance of the Roman period, we do not have any evidence of the clans that might have lived before, therefore Iotape can be rightly said to be a Roman period city. The city has a natural port measuring 50x100 meters.

Iotape
SARAPSA INN

This site, 15 km. before Alanya and was built during the time of the Seljuk Sultan Giyaseddin Keyhusrev II (1236-1245). It was constructed on a large area and the stone ceiling is still in a good state of repair. It is closed to the south. It, too, has the appearance of a fortress; its ornamental gate is on the north side. A small mosque is next to it.

Sarapsa Inn
Google
© 1996 - 2008

e-mail: info@antalyaonline.net
Special Thanks to the Contributors | About AWS | Advertisement