Professor of Chemical Engineering
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering (since 1989)
FRS NZ Fellow
of the Royal Society of
FIChemE Fellow Institution of
Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry, (Tappi),
Member Australian and
· Member International Association of Scientific Papermakers
Flow of wood pulp fibre suspensions and associated problems of flow metering, fibre concentration measurement, pressure pulsations, flocculation, screening, mixing, fibre fractionation, defibration, pneumatic transport of fibres. Infrared heating and drying, wood chip screening, pulp washing, particulate solids transport in fibre suspensions, paper sheet formation and formation-flocculation, energy reduction in mechanical pulping, heat transfer to fibre suspensions, novel processing methods.
· New Zealand Science and Technology Silver Medal, for “an exceptional contribution to industry and the community over three decades in the field of fluid mechanics of fibre suspensions”, The Royal Society of New Zealand 2003.
· ESSO Award from Chemeca for “Outstanding, innovative, on going published contributions in Chemical Engineering” in Australasia 2002.
· University Medal Distinguished Teaching Award, The University of Auckland (1995) Merit Awards for excellence in undergraduate teaching, Faculty of Engineering, 1990, 1991, 1997, 1998, and 2003; “Top Twenty” 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004
· Fellow of IPENZ, 1991
· Fellow of TAPPI, 1990
· DEng Doctor of Engineering degree, The University of Auckland, 1988
FRSNZ Fellow of
the Royal Society of
· L. R. Benjamin Appita Silver Medal (1982)
· E. R. Cooper Royal Society Medal (1975).
218 published journal and conference papers including 10 patents. 62 technical reports.
Some Recent Refereed Publications
Chen, J., Müller-Steinhagen, H.M., and Duffy, G.G. "Heat transfer enhancement in dimpled tubes", J. Applied Thermal Eng. 21(5): 535-547 (2001).
Duffy, G.G., Kazi, S.N., Chen, X.D. “Pulp fibre quality measurement from flowing wood pulp fibre suspensions”, Das Papier J., 7: 39-46 (2002).
Duffy, G.G. “The significance of mechanistic-based models in fibre suspension flow”, Nordic Pulp and Paper Research J. 18 (1): 74-80 (2003).
Duffy, G.G., Kazi, S.N., Chen, X.D. “Heat transfer to flowing fibre suspensions”. J. Pulp and Paper Science 29 (3): 99-105 (2003).
Duffy, G.G. "Misapplication of the Metzner-Reed non-Newtonian correlation method", Chem. Eng. Communications, 191 (2): 182-188 (2004).
Murton, K., and Duffy, G.G. “The influence of pulp residence time on refining intensity and pulp quality”, Appita J. 58 (1): 64-71 (2005).
Duffy, G.G., (with Burger, R., Lange, W., Veh, G.
Schabel, S.) “Process for wet screening
European Patent DEA 102 17 926.3, 2003,
Song, G., Duffy, G.G. "An investigation of fibre deformations in medium consistency processing", Proceedings of the 55th Annual Appita Conference, Vol.1, 267-278,Tasmania, April (2001).
Kazi, S. N., Duffy, G.G., Chen, X. D. "Heat transfer fouling mitigation with wood pulp fibres" Proceedings of the Heat Exchanger Fouling Conference – Fundamental Approaches and Technical Solutions, Section III, paper 5, 1-7, Davos, Switzerland, July (2001).
Duffy, G.G., Chen, X.D., Kazi, S.N. “Fibre particle characterisation in suspension flow” proceedings of the 15th International Hydrotransport 15 Conference, Vol. 2, 825-842, Banff, Canada, June (2002).
Paul, T., Duffy, G.G., and Chen, X.D. “Simple evaluation methods for
deflocculants and their affect on fibre network
structure”, Proceedings of the 57th Annual Appita
Conference, Paper 1A 42, 57-62,
Duffy, G. G. “A new method of fibre fractionation”, Proceedings of the 57th Annual Appita Conference, Paper 2D 43, 453-458, Melbourne, May (2003).
Duffy, G. G. and Wahjudi
Winters, U. “Some developments for characterising wood pulp fibres in pulp and
paper mills”, Proceedings of the 58th Annual Appita
Conference, Paper 3B32, 421-431,