With one teen dead and three others injured after a Thursday afternoon shooting near Henry Ford High School, Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers said she plans to reintroduce a “Detroit School Violence Response” resolution to curb school violence in Detroit Public Schools.
“Now, more than ever, it needs to be institutionalized,” Conyers, a Henry Ford alum, said this morning about the school violence response plan.
The plan, originally introduced in April 2007, calls on the Detroit Police Department to develop a school violence response plan for DPS that would include planning for school lockdowns and evacuation plans. The resolution did not pass last year.
Conyers called on Detroit Police Chief James Barren and Detroit Public School Police Chief Charles Mitchell to collaborate on the effort; she also wants to include the Detroit Police gang squad unit in policing the gangs in schools.
She said she also spoke with DPS Superintendent Connie Calloway, adding DPS and council must work together to tackle the problem.
“It has to stop now with these children,” Conyers said, adding parents “don’t want their children to fear for their lives.”