Jump to page content


Home > College Board Tests > AP: Exam Grades > Grade Reporting Services

Grade Reporting Services

As an AP student, you will automatically receive an AP Grade Report by mail that lists your cumulative AP Exam grades and any colleges to which your grades were sent. You can also find information about grade reporting services in the Bulletin for AP Students and Parents and in your AP Student Pack.

The grade reporting services listed below are available to students:

AP Automated Grade Reporting Services:

  • Grades by Phone
  • Grade Reporting Service (additional grade reports)

Other grade reporting services:

  • Grade withholding
  • Grade cancellation
  • Free-response booklets
  • Multiple-Choice Rescore Service
  • Archived AP Grades

AP Automated Grade Reporting Services

You can receive your exam grades, send your grades to colleges, and send grade reports to additional colleges by phone with our AP Automated Grade Reporting Services. Beginning July 1, 2009, the Grades by Phone and Grade Reporting Service will be available for the 2009 AP Exams.

  • Grades by Phone:
    You can receive your 2009 AP Exam grades over the phone by using the AP Grades by Phone service. The fee is $8 per call.
  • Grade Reporting Service (additional grade reports):
    You can send your grades to additional colleges using the AP Grade Reporting Service. The fee is $15 per college. Requests generally take one week to process from the date they are received. Rush reports are processed within two working days and are available for $25 per college. Note: You may also order additional grade reports by contacting AP Services by mail or fax (see below for contact information) or by filling out and returning the College Information Card on the back of your AP Student Pack.

AP Automated Grade Reporting Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the following numbers:

  • 888-308-0013 (toll free in the United States, U.S. territories, and Canada)
  • 609-771-7366 (outside of the United States, U.S. territories, and Canada)

Both automated services are payable by credit card only. You can also use these services to send your grades to colleges from prior years, up to four years from the date of the previous AP Exam. (For exam grades older than four years, requests need to be made in writing; please see Archived AP Grades, below.)

You will need the following information before calling:

  • AP number. Your AP number can be found in your AP Student Pack or grade report. Important: We encourage you to save your AP number and AP Student Pack in the event that you wish to access AP Automated Grade Reporting Services.
  • Social security number, if you provided this on your answer sheet
  • Date of birth
  • Exam year that corresponds with your AP number
  • The appropriate four-digit college code(s), if you're requesting to send grades to colleges. College codes can be found in your AP Student Pack or online by searching for the college at the College Board's Colleges and Scholarships search page.
  • A valid credit card number (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa)

Other grade reporting services

The services listed below can be ordered by contacting AP Services:

AP Services
P.O. Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671
Phone: (609) 771-7300 or (888) 225-5427 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)

When requesting these grade reporting services from AP Services, you should include the following information with each of your requests:

  • The grade reporting service(s) you are requesting
  • Your full name, home address, gender, date of birth, AP number(s), and social security number
  • Each year that you took an AP Exam
  • A credit card number and expiration date, or a check or money order for the exact amount due (make checks and money orders payable to AP Exams)
  • When requesting additional grade reports: the name, city and state, and four-digit college code(s) of the college(s) you would like to receive the report
  • When requesting grade withholding, grade cancellation, multiple-choice rescoring, or the your original free-response booklets: the name(s) of the exam(s) to which the request applies

Grade Withholding

You may have one or more grades withheld from the report sent to the college you indicated on your answer sheet. To have a grade withheld from the indicated college, AP Services must receive your written, signed request by mail or fax by June 15 accompanied by a $10 fee per grade, per college. If your request is not received by June 15, the grade is automatically sent to the college indicated on your answer sheet.

The grade will be withheld from any future grade reports sent to that particular college. You may later release the grade to that college by sending AP Services a signed written request.

If you later decide to send an AP Grade Report to a different college, however, you need to contact AP Services to have the grade withheld from that grade report.

A request to withhold a grade does not permanently delete your grade, and all exam grades, even those withheld from grade reports sent to colleges, are sent to you and your school.

Grade Cancellation

Grade cancellation deletes an AP Exam grade permanently from your records. Grades may be canceled at any time. However, for grades not to appear on the current year's grade report, AP services must receive a signed, written request by mail or fax by June 15. While there is no fee for this service, your exam fee is not refunded. The grade report that you and your school receive will indicate that the grade has been canceled.

Free-Response Booklets

For a fee of $7 per booklet, you may obtain your original free-response booklet(s) from the most recent exam administration by contacting AP Services. No comments, corrections, or scores are included. AP Services must receive a signed, written request by mail or fax by September 15 of the year in which you took the exam. You will not be able to order your booklet(s) after this date. Students who test late using an alternate form of the exam will not be able to request their booklet(s).

Archived AP Grades

Four years after your test date, your AP grades are removed from our active computer files and archived. AP Services must receive a signed and written request, and there is a charge of $25 each time they are sent to a college. Please complete the Archived AP Grades Request Form (.pdf/48KB) and mail or fax it to the address or number indicated.

Multiple-Choice Rescore Service

You may request that your multiple-choice answer sheet be re-scored by hand. This score and your free-response score are then appropriately weighted and combined. The resulting score is converted to an AP grade and compared with the reported grade. The multiple-choice section is not disclosed, and therefore scores on this section are not available. The free-response section is not reread. Studio Art portfolios are not reevaluated. AP Services must receive your signed, written request by mail or fax by October 31 of the year in which you took the exam. The fee is $25 per exam. Please allow six to eight weeks for a response.