Fischerspooner's New Album Set for April Release
Fischerspooner's second album Odyssey comes out April 5-- four years after their first release, #1 (originally only available in Europe, despite the duo's New York origins), and two years after that first release was supplemented with bonus tracks, a DVD, and a tidal wave of hype upon arriving in America. Odyssey is preceded by an advance single, "Just Let Go", which came out January 10th but which does not contain the original version of the song, only two remixes. Oddly, the "Thin White Duke" who handles one of the remixes is (kind of thankfully) not David Bowie, but rather the absurdly talented Jacques Lu Cont, best known for his outstanding recent remix of Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For". Tracklist:
01 Just Let Go
03 Never Win
04 A Kick in the Teeth
05 Everything to Gain
06 We Need a War
09 Ritz 107
10 All We Are
11 Circle (Vision Creation New Sun) [Boredoms cover]
We normally ignore press releases touting how much a band has changed, but we don't quite know what to make of this: "We worked hard to make a coherent AOR record, a total statement. Inspired along the way by psychedelia, classic rock, and the ideas of the romantics that were the roots of rock and roll (intuition over ration; emotion over intellect; transcendence through the supernatural; the artist as hero), we tried to combine those influences with our own take on modern pop music to create something new and, hopefully, unique." Oh wait-- we do know what to make of all that. It's utter bullshit. As anyone who's heard the single will attest, this is prime Fischerspooner, highly evolved but technotronic as ever.
Perhaps best of all, the album features songs co-written by the suddenly ubiquitous Linda Perry (formerly of 4 Non-Blondes, more recently a collaborator of Pink, Christina Aguilera, and Gwen Stefani) and the late Susan Sontag, who penned the lyrics for "We Need a War". Fischerspooner had planned an active collaboration with Sontag, but when she showed up with lyrics already finished, those words were adopted (over the objections of Casey Spooner, who initially said he was uncomfortable saying the word "war").
Spooner and Warren Fischer are in the middle of creating a new version of their notorious stage show, which will feature, no joke, live musicians.
Most Read News
- The Pitchfork Guide to Summer Festivals 2008
- The Pitchfork Guide to Upcoming Releases: Summer '08
- My Bloody Valentine Lead Unfuckingbelievable Lineup for New York All Tomorrow's Parties Fest
- Is This Really the New Weezer Album Cover?
- Dear God, Please Let This Be the Lil Wayne Album Cover
- My Bloody Valentine Announce North American Tour!
- Tom Waits Reveals "Glitter and Doom" Tour
- Sigur Ros Line Up Summer Tour Dates
- Coldplay Reveal Viva la Vida Tracklist
- Sigur Rós Announce Full North American Tour
- Photos: Bonnaroo [Saturday]
- Wolf Parade March Out New LP Tracklist
- Photos: Sasquatch! Festival [Monday] (NSFW)
- Beck Announces Summer Tour
- Wolf Parade Announce Summer Tour
- Sonic Youth Reveal Starbucks Hits Comp Details
- Photos: Bonnaroo [Thursday/Friday]
- Sigur Ros Sneak Peeks of New Album, Expand Tour
- Pitchfork's Guide to Record Store Day
- Radiohead, Live Nation Respond to Virginia Washout
- Peter Hook Talks New Order Split, DVD, Joy Division
- Ian Curtis' Gravestone Stolen
- Was Bonnaroo Really M.I.A.'s "Last Gig Ever"?
- Tom Waits Extends "Glitter and Doom" Tour
- Pitchfork Festival: Set Times Revealed! Tix Going Fast!
- The New Mogwai Album Tracklist Is Amazing
- Wolf Parade Join the 2008 Cover Art Hall of Fame
- The Conor Oberst Album Cover Is Dreamy
- Built to Spill Reveal Full-Blown Perfect Tour
- Crystal Castles Caught Up in Artwork Controversy
- Photos: Radiohead [West Palm Beach, FL; 05/05/08]
- Girl Talk's Feed the Animals Available Now!
- Radiohead Use Fancy Technology in Camera-Free Video
- The New Mogwai Album Cover Is Disappointing
- My Morning Jacket Announce Lengthy American Tour
- Weezer Reveal "Red Album" Tracklist, Bonus Cuts
- The National Design T-Shirt for Obama
- Arcade Fire Scoring Donnie Darko Dude's New Movie
- Josh Homme Defends Himself: "Homophobic? I'm in Queens of the Stone Age for Crissake"
- Radiohead, Prince at Odds Over Blocked YouTube Vids
- Radiohead to Go "Green" on "Conan O'Brien"
- Feist Does "1234" on "Sesame Street", Adds Dates
- Radiohead, Interpol, Pornos Fete Independents Day
- R. Kelly Not Guilty!!!!
- Crystal Castles Respond to Chip Music Controversy
- Kanye West Responds to Bonnaroo Haters
- Wanna Open for Coldplay?
- Sub Pop Announces 20th Anniversary Bash
- Bob Dylan Big Ups Barack Obama
- OiNK Users Apparently Arrested by British Police