Art Deco Buildings

London examples

site map

london-footprints.co.uk

[Baths & Sports] [Cafes] [Churches etc] [Cinemas] [Factories] [Garages] [Hotels] [Houses] [Offices] [Public Buildings] [Pubs] [Shops] [Stations] [Theatres]

INTRODUCTION
Art Deco flourished through the 20s & 30s impelled by the Paris Exhibition of 1925 and was applied to all forms including architecture. Influences included Cubism (with zigzags & geometricals), Ancient Egypt (following the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun by Howard Carter & Lord Carnaervon in 1922) and Aztec & Mayan art (from South America & Mexico). It was a machine age style which utilised the innovations of the times such as plastics, chrome & aluminium. At a time of economic depression and the approach of war there was a desire for escapism. People enjoyed the pleasures of life during the 'Jazz Age'. Speed and streamlining became important especially in the new modes of travel such as the first commercial flights, trains such as the Orient Express and ocean-going liners.

This page lists some of the Art Deco buildings to be found in London. It is compiled from the Time Out Deco 100 guide but with additions from other sources, recommendations and personal knowledge. I have included a couple of buildings which post-date the period but replicate Art Deco styling. If you know of any good examples that I have not listed I would be interested to hear about them (dates and architects would be useful). Please use my Guestbook. An Art Deco trail around some of the buildings is available [click here]

There is a Gallery section with photos of some of the buildings featured in this listing (marked pix)

FACTORIES
Art Deco was the response to the new needs and new materials of a changing society. Showpiece buildings were constructed to promote the companies they housed. Some of the best examples were sited along the newly-developed Great West Road and Western Avenue.

According to 'Pevsner' the following inter-war factories remain on the Great West Road.
Henley's Garage 1937 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners
Simmonds Aerocessories 1936 by George Warren and 1938-42 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners (now Glaxo Smithcline?)
Macleans 1932 by F E Simkins (now Rank Audiovisual)
Trico 1931 incorporating Thompson & Norris 1932-7 by Robert Sharp
Currys 1935 by FE Simkins (now BMW)

Pyrene 1930 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners (now Westlink House)
Coty 1932 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners (now Softsel Computers)

Gilletes 1937 by Sir Banister Fletcher
Others including Firestone 1928-9 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners were demolished in the 1980s.

Adhesives Specialities Ltd 59 Ladywell Road SE13
Built in the 1930s by Mr Howkins, a local builder, for use as a laundry. It was refurbished by Rainey & Rainey in 1987-8 but rejected for listing in 2005.
Alsaka
Grange Road, Bermondsey SE1
A factory was established to process seal fur in 1869 but only the entrance remains from this. The newer white building on the site was designed by Wallis Gilbert. It was bombed twice in WWII.
Battersea Power Station
Kirtling Street SW8
Designed by Giles Gilbert Scott and completed in 1934 this building is currently derelict.
Carreras Cigarette Factory (pix) Hampstead Road NW1
Designed by M E & O H Collins with A G Porri in 1928 it was inspired by Tutankhamen's Tomb and has two 8' black cats above the entrance. It is now offices known as Greater London House.
Dylon Worsley Bridge Road BR3
Factory of the 1930s for manufacture of dyes. Locally listed
Hoover Western Avenue Middx UB6
Designed by Wallis Gilbert & Partners in 1931-5 in an Egyptian style with vibrant colours and an impressive entrance. The front offices have been restored for Gallaghers and the rear converted to a Tesco supermarket. The former canteen added in 1938-9 has a green marble tiled washroom. [
more info] [extra pix]
OXO (pix) Tower Bargehouse Street SE1
The tower of this 1928 building by Albert Moore was retained when it was redeveloped as shops, restaurants & flats in 1996. The illuminated windows got round restrictions on lighted advertising.
The Spitfire Works Hatton Street/Penfold Street NW8
This 97,00 sq ft 1930s industrial building made and assembled parts for WWII fighter planes. It was re-designed by Terry Farrell in 1988 providing light industrial units and offices, including his architectural practice. The two streets have different Art Deco styled frontages.
Yardleys (box factory) (pix) Stratford High Street E15
The cream faced building was designed by Higgins & Thomerson in 1937. It depicts street sellers of lavender (a famous product).

GARAGES
As the number of car owners increased so did the need for garage facilities for petrol and repairs and also car showrooms.

Bluebird Garage (pix) Kings Road SW3
This was built in 1924 to the designs of Robert Sharp with reinforced concrete and steel faced in white faience. It had a ground floor display area, workshops and space for 300 cars. There were waiting rooms for chauffeurs, ladies and owner drivers. Now owned by Conran it includes a shop and restaurant
Chelsea Cars
Armoury Way SW18
This tiled building occupies a corner site with a feature clock.
Daimler Car Hire Garage
(pix) Herbrand Street WC1
Designed by Wallis Gilbert and Partners in 1931. It is now offices for McCann-Ericksson having previously served a a taxi garage.
Lex Garage Brewer Street W1
Designed by J J Joass in 1928-9 it once had separate rooms for chauffeurs and changing rooms for ladies. The four storey building, in a style described by Pevsner as Byzantine-cum-Deco, has a glass ceiling on the third floor. Subsequently owned by NCP it survived attempts to redevelop the site in 2002.

OFFICES
In this category Art Deco provided flagship buildings for new enterprises such as the BBC and Imperial Airways. In instances such as the Daily Express & Telegraph buildings offices and works were combined.

Abbey House Baker Street W1
Designed by J J Joass in the 1920s. This is the headquarters of Abbey, formerly Abbey National and includes the famous fictional address of Sherlock Holmes (221B). The landmark tower has been shored up whilst the buildings have been demolished around it!
The Adelphi
Adelphi Terrace WC2
The original Adelphi was a riverside development by the Adam brothers with Royal Terrace as its centre piece. This was demolished in 1936-8 and replaced with the current building by Colcutt & Hemp. It has decorative metalwork and zodiacal symbols in Portland Stone.
Artillery House
Artillery Row SW1
Designed by Maurice Webb in 1930. Large tiled frontage with shops at street level
Broadcasting House
Portland Place W1
Designed by Val Meyers & Watson-Hart in 1932 with sculptures by Eric Gill & Vernon Hill. It includes a restored Radio Theatre in Art Deco style.
[extra pix]
Chambers & Partners
(pix) Saville House 23 Long Lane EC1
This building has lots of Art Deco styling and features colourful upper storeys
Daily Express
(pix) Fleet Street EC4
Built in 1932 with a splendid interior by Robert Atkinson and an exterior of shiny black Vitrolite and glass by Sir Owen Williams. It originally incorporated the printing plant but is now the offices of Goldman Sachs.
[extra pix]
Daily Telegraph (pix) Fleet Street EC4
Designed by Elcock and Sutcliffe with Thomas Tait in 1928. It originally incorporated the printing plant but is now the offices of Goldman Sachs.
J C Decaux
Great West Road, Brentford
This Grade II listed former Curry factory of 1936 was a Foster & Partners project of 1997-2000. The front office building was restored and a new warehouse built behind to replace the former factory.
Freemasons' Hall
60 Great Queen Street WC2
This third Hall was built in 1927-33 to the designs of H V Ashley & F Winton Newman. It serves as a ceremonial and administrative headquarters with a temple, library & museum on the first floor which can be visited.
website
Gainsborough House 81 Oxford Street W1
Large building with glazed grey facing and pink decorations. Offices with shops at ground level.
Ibex House
42-7 Minories EC1
This 9 floor block built in 1937 features curved walls.
Ideal House
Great Marlborough Street W1
Designed as a showroom for the American Radiator Company by Raymond Hood in 1928-9 with additions by Gordon Jeeves in 1935. It has a black granite facade and Moorish, Mexican & Persian inspired features. Now known as Palladium House. Occupied by Caffe Uno and Garfunkels at ground level.
Imperial Airways Building (pix) 157-197 Buckingham Palace Road SW1
Designed by Albert Lakeman in 1939 with a pair of winged figures over the entrance by E R Broadbent. It was used by BOAC & British Airways but now houses the National Audit Office.
Mercury House 124 Theobalds Road WC1
Designed as the HQ of Cable & Wireless by Gordon Jeeves, also responsible for Dolphin Square and the Ideal (Palladium) House extension. Whilst not of the period (it was opened in 1955) this was obviously inspired by earlier Art Deco buildings particularly Holden's 55 Broadway for London Underground. Both feature ornamental carvings, in the case of Cable & Wireless relievo plaques above the transoms of the god Mercury by Arthur Cousins.
Nigerian High Commision
56-7 Fleet Street EC4
The former premises of the Glasgow Herald were designed by Percy Tubbs, Son & Duncans in 1927. Pevsner describes them as having 'Neo-Grec decoration reminiscent of the Paris Exhibition of 1925'.
RIBA
66 Portland Place W1
Designed by Grey Wornum in 1933-4 after the Swedish style its spacious interior retains many original features and fittings including etched glass.
website
Senate House Malet Street WC1
This Portland Stone building of 1933-7 with a landmark tower houses University of London's administration and has lavish interiors by Charles Holden.
Shell Mex House 80 Strand WC2
This was built as the 800 room Cecil Hotel in 1886. It was purchased by Shell in 1930 when it was remodelled by Messrs Joseph with an Art Deco riverside frontage featuring a prominent clock.
St Olaf House
Tooley Street SE1
Designed by H S Goodhart-Rendel for the Hays Wharf Company in 1928-32 as offices & warehousing. The impressive Thames side frontage has decorations by Frank Dobson framing the board & common rooms. The Tooley Street facade has turrets & angled walls and interior features include geometric patterning
The Strand Building (pix) Urswick Road, Hackney E9
Built as 'Hackney Electricity Demonstration Halls & Offices' in 1925 designed by J A Bowden. Converted in 1995 into flats featuring a roof garden. The ground floor formerly used as a furniture shop awaits redevelopment. [
photos]
Summit House
12 Red Lion Square
Built for Austin Reed in 1925 by Westwood & Emberton. Glazed yellow tiles with lotus leaf railings and two door panels by Percy Metcalfe.
Tournament House
London Street W2
The former Arrivals Side Offices of the Great Western Railway renamed in 1987. The steel framed and clad building was designed in 1935 by P E Culverhouse.
Unilever
New Bridge Street EC4
Designed by J Lomax-Simpson in 1930-1. It has been largely gutted by redevelopment although the exterior remains intact.
Victoria House Southampton Row WC1
This large building was built for the Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society in 1922-32 by Charles William Long. It has a neo-classical facade but a splendid Art Deco ballroom in the basement, due to become a restaurant. The Grade II building has recently been redeveloped by Garbe to a design by Will Alsop.
website

PUBLIC BUILDINGS
The moderne style was adopted by some councils for public buildings such as libraries and town halls constructed at this time.

Civic Centre Wood Lane, Dagenham RM10
Designed by E Berry Webber in 1936 this Grade II listed building is of mulberry stock brick with a Portand Stone entrance and portico. The recently refurbished interior has Art Deco ceilings and marble stairs and foyer.
Greenwich Town Hall
(pix) Royal Hill SE10
Designed by Ewart Culpin & Son in 1939 the interior has 'ocean liner' features and is inspired by Dutch & Scandanavian buildings. No longer a town hall it is used by Greenwich Dance Agency.
Hackney Town Hall Mare Street, Hackney E8
Built 1934-6 to replace a Victorian building and set back from the road. The competition for its design was won by Lanchester and Lodge. It retains original light fittings, panelling, floor surfaces and doors.
[extra pix]
Hornsey Town Hall
The Broadway N8
Designed by Reginald Uren in 1933. It has a tall brick tower and is decorated with carved reliefs, etched glass, heraldic emblems & bronze fittings. Flanking blocks were added in 1935 & 1937-9 as gas & electricity showrooms. It has not been used as a town hall since 1965 but retains its rich mayor's parlour.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Keppel Street WC1
The building of 1929 by P Morley Horder and Verner O Rees features a decorated facade.
[extra pix]
Royal Horticultural Hall
(pix) Greycoat Street SW1
This new hall for the Royal Horticultural Society was designed by Howard Robertson & Murray Easton in 1927-8.
Shirley Library Wickham Road/Hartland Way, Shirley
Features the 'sunburst' motif over the entrance.

STATIONS ETC
In the 20s & 30s London Transport owed much of its corporate design to Frank Pick especially in his employment of Charles Holden as architect from 1924. In 1931 they went on a tour of Scandanavia and the Netherlands which gave them some inspiration. On his return Holden worked on the Piccadilly line designing stations such as Osterley and Southgate, many occupying corner sites. The distinctive house style was applied to all new stations built in the 1930s including those designed by other architects. Although uninspiring coaches now leave from the Art Deco coach station at Victoria it is sometimes possible to see the stylish Orient Express at the railway station.

Arnos Grove Bowes Road N11
Built in 1933 this has a drum shaped ticket hall and the original ticket booth has been restored.
Croydon Airport Colston Avenue Surrey
This opened in 1920 and was the world's first international airport. The terminal building and control tower remain and are open to visitors on the first Sunday of the month 11-4.
East Finchley Great North Road N2
Outside this station is a sculptured archer by Eric Aumonier.
Hounslow West
Bath Road TW4
The heptagonal ticket hall of 1931 has a Deco chandelier. The exterior is of grey granite and Portland Stone.
London Underground Headquarters
55 Broadway SW1
A stepped cruciform building in Portland Stone designed by Charles Holden in 1927-9 with sculptures by Jacob Epstein, Eric Gill, Henry Moore & others. There is some information on these in the shopping arcade which runs through the building. This also provides an entrance to St James's Park tube station.
Osterley
(pix) Great West Road TW7
This has a 70' tower with Art Deco lighting.
Park Royal
Western Avenue W3
This building of 1936 has a brick tower and a glazed circular ticket hall.
Richmond Station
(pix) Kew Road, Richmond
Rebuilt in 1937 its facade includes a square clock
Southgate
N14
This has a circular ticket office with a curved arcade of shops and bus station. It has a wide escalator hall with bronze uplighters.
Victoria Coach Station (pix) Buckingham Palace Road SW1
Designed by Wallis Gilbert & Partners in 1932 and refurbished in recent years.

HOTELS
Hotels which were built or re-designed with opulent Art Deco interiors have often retained many of the features.

Claridges 55 Brook Street W1
This was restored by Basil Ionides in the 1920s and Oswald Milne in 1929-30. Many rooms and public areas maintain the Art Deco style.
Dorchester 53 Park Lane W1
Designed by Owen Williams in 1931 it retains some of its Deco details by W Curtis Green.
Lansdowne Club 9 Fitzmaurice Place, Berkeley Square W1
A Robert Adam house partly demolished in 1931 and reconstructed in Art Deco style by Holloway & White in 1934-5.
Park Lane Hotel
Piccadilly W1
Designed by Kenneth Anns & Henry Tanner in 1927 it has a spectacular Art Deco hall and basement ballroom. There are also some original marble bathrooms and fireplaces.
Savoy (pictured above) Strand WC2
The public rooms were redecorated by Basil Ionides in 1926-9 and a number of rooms have their original black tiled bathrooms. Exterior features were designed by Easton and Robertson in 1929-30.
Strand Palace Hotel Strand WC2
There are basements remnants of an Art Deco entrance of 1929-30 by F J Wills.

THEATRES
Many of the theatres of the 1930s have rather plain exteriors but feature lavish interiors using a variety of materials in Art Deco motifs and patterns.

Adelphi (pictured above) Strand WC2
The fourth & present building opened in 1930 designed by Ernest Schaufelberg was refurbished in 1993.
Apollo Victoria 17 Wilton Road SW1
Originally built as a cinema in 1930 it converted to a theatre in 1979. Designed by Ernest Wamsley Lewis & W E Trent with marine motifs.
Astoria
Charing Cross Road WC2
Originally built as a cinema in the late 1920s it converted to a theatre in the 1970s
Broadway
Rushey Green Catford SE6
Built as Lewisham (variety) Theatre in 1932 by Bradshaw, Gass & Hope. It has undergone a major refurbishment to include a new Art Deco cafe bar.
Cambridge Earlham Street WC2
A large theatre by Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie opened in 1930. Art Deco features include a multilayered ceiling with concealed lighting in the foyer and triangular patterning. There is a frieze of naked athletes beneath the dome and collages of Day & Night in the walls above the boxes.
Dominion
Tottenham Court Road W1
Designed by W & T R Milburn and opened in 1929 on the site of a brewery. The mirrored lobby has marbled & silvered stairways and original light fittings. From the ocean liner style foyer double staircases lead to the circle.
Duchess Catherine Street WC2
Designed by Ewen Barr in 1929 with a neo-Tudor exterior. Inside are a curved glass box office, panels with relief sculpture, Art Deco lampshades and veneer panelling.
Phoenix
Charing Cross Road WC2
Neo-classical facade by Gilbert Scott with 1930s entrance. The interior by Theodore Komisarjevsky includes mirrors and patterned ceilings.
Prince Edward Old Compton Street W1
This has an Art Deco interior of 1929-30 by Marc-Henri and Gaston Laverdet with an unusual circular foyer. It was restored for Cameron Mackintosh in 1993.
Prince of Wales
Coventry Street
This was rebuilt to the designs of Robert Cromie in 1937 and has a disinctive corner tower. It has recently been refurbished and now has attractive foyers and bars with Art Deco styling. [
website]
Savoy
Strand WC2
Redecorated by Basil Ionides in 1929 in an American look it was destroyed by fire in 1990 but has been faithfully restored to its original splendour. There are aluminium leaf finishes and a five colour seating scheme. The bars featured nickel plated balustrades.
Whitehall Whitehall SW1
Designed by Edward A Stone in 1930 as a cinema it has a black and silver interior by Marc Henri & Gaston Laverdet with a stalls bar based on a liner's saloon. The listed building has been granted a 4 year reversible conversion into Trafalgar Studios 1 (370 seats) and 2 (100 seats). The circle front has been removed and is stored on site whilst some of the Art Deco features front of house have been temporarily concealed.

CINEMAS
The 'talkies' and the Depression arrived about the same time but entrepreneurs like Sidney Bernstein, who created the Granada chain, believed that creating fantasy palaces would attract custom. Later in the period streamlined modernity was favoured, particularly by Oscar Deutsch's Odeon group, striving for a Hollywood opulence. With the growth of TV cinema-going declined and many buildings were lost or altered to suit new uses. In 1999 English Heritage produced a booklet 'Picture Palaces - New Life for Old Cinemas' in conjunction with a study of them as a prelude to getting more 'listed'. At that time 43 cinemas, spanning the period 1908- 1940 were listed in Greater London, mostly Grade II.

Apollo Victoria see theatres
Astoria
Brixton 211 Stockwell Road SW9
Designed by E A Stone with decoration by Marc Henri the auditorium has starlit sky and Italian garden & palace paintings.
Astoria Charing Cross Road see theatres
Astoria
Finsbury Park Seven Sisters Road N4
Designed in 1930 by E A Stone. The interior by Marc Henri has an Arabian Nights and Moorish theme. Now the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God.
Carlton 161-9 Essex Road N10
Designed by George Cole in 1930 in Egyptian and Aztec styles it is now a Mecca Bingo Hall.
Chelsea Cinema (pix) Kings Road Chelsea
SW3
Opened as the Gaumont Palace in 1934. Partly converted to a store in 1972 although it retained 739 seats. Faced with medallions including one to W Friese Greene inventor of celluloid film. Now a Habitat store.
Coronet
Elephant & Castle SE1
Dates from the 19th century and was known to Charlie Chaplin. It has recently been restored to its 1920s Art Deco glory.
Coronet
(pictured in header) John Wilson Street, Woolwich SE18
Built in 1937 it now serves a a church
Forum
9-17 Highgate Road NW5
This was designed by J S Beard & W R Bennett in 1934 and aquired by ABC in 1935. The first floor housed a tea room and dance hall. It was a cinema until 1970 subsequently becoming a bingo hall, dance hall then live music venue. It has a glazed frontage with vertical features.
Granada
Tooting 50 Mitcham Road SW17
The Italianate front of white stone was designed by Cecil Masey in 1931. The interior by Theodore Komisarjevsky has a foyer in the style of a baronial hall and an auditorium of Venetian Gothic design. It is now a Gala Bingo Hall.
Granada 186 Powis Street Woolwich SE18
Designed in 1937 by Cecil Masey & Reginald Uren with a fantastic interior by Theodore Komisarjevsky. It was converted to the Gala Bingo Club in the 1960s.
Odeon (pix) High Street Beckenham Kent
Designed by William Cromie in 1930. Renovated with stained glass and Art Deco mouldings. Decorative panels and metalwork in Screen 5.
Odeon Leicester Square WC2
Designed by Andrew Mather in 1937 it has a black glossy granite frontage and a 90' tower with neon lighting.
Odeon Muswell Hill Fortis Green Road N10
Designed by George Cole in 1936 it retains its original decor despite conversion to 3 screens in 1974. .
Odeon (pix) Richmond Hill
Odeon
Richmond Hill
Designed by Leathart & Granger with Egyptian style decorations on exterior
Phoenix
52 High Road East Finchley N2
The 1938 Art Deco interior has illuminated wall reliefs by Eugene Mollo & Michael Egan.
Regal 262 Camberwell Road SE5
This building of 1940 by Leslie Kemp which is in use as a bingo club has been recently redecorated.
Regal 233 High Street, Uxbridge UB8
Designed by E Norman Bailey in 1931 with Egyptian style facade and lavish interior with Chinese influences. The Compton organ is still playable. Now functions as Discotheque Royale.
State
Kilburn High Road NW6
Designed by George Coles in 1937 its huge auditorium seated over 4000. It had a lavish interior in Renaissance style with a Wurlitzer Organ (still in use). It was modified in 1960 & 1975 and now serves as a bingo hall. Many of its original features are intact including its prominent tower.
Troxy
Commercial Road E1
Built on the site of the Commercial Brewery it was designed by George Coles has a geometric frontage of cream faience tiles. Opened in 1933 with 'King Kong' and closed in 1960 with 'The Siege of Sydney Street'. It became the London Opera Centre then a Mecca bingo hall but in 2006 opened as a banqueting venue. It is Grade II listed and has a lovely colourful interior.
Warner Village
off north east corner of Leicester Square WC2

CAFES
Original examples of these are sparse due to the trend of up-dating cafe premises.

The Circle Cafe in the Broadway Theatre, Catford SE6
Built as Lewisham (variety) Theatre in 1932 by Bradshaw, Gass & Hope. It has undergone a major refurbishment to include a new Art Deco cafe bar (pix).
Pelliccis
332 Bethnal Green Road E2
Grade II listed building with yellow Vitrolite facade and marquetry panelled interior.
Regency Cafe
(pix) 17-19 Regency Street SW1
This retains its black tiled exterior with Gill typeface logo. A favourite with taxi drivers!
S & M Cafe
4-6 Essex Road N1
This building of 1947 features steel, chrome, Formica & Vitrolite.

SHOPS
The style doesn't seem to be so popular in central London but it is worth travelling on the top deck of a bus along Oxford Street which has some examples. Beyond central London Art Deco premises can be found in many high streets. The style was particularly favoured by Burtons the tailors, Woolworths and the Co-op. It is often necessary to look at the buildings that remain above the modernised shop fronts.

Barkers 63-97 Kensington High Street W8
Designed by Bernard George and built in three phases between 1927 and 1958. The steel framed building has two glass towers and ornamented stonework.
Bonhams Auctioneers (pix) Woodstock Street W1
Designed by Fuller Hall & Foulsham in 1938 with polychrome faience decoration.
Burtons
9-13 Deptford Broadway SE8
Burtons (pix) 13-14 Nelson Road Greenwich SE10
Built in 1932 its decorations include elephant's heads. It is now Cafe Sol.
Burtons Lewisham High Street SE13
1 Crown Hill Croydon
This building is clad in cream & black tiles with a curved plan and classical details.
Fox
118 London Wall
Designed by E Pollard & Co in 1937 with a Vitrolite facade and non-reflective glass.
Heals
197-9 Tottenham Court Road W1
The southern extension to the 1916 building was designed by Sir Edward Maufe in 1938 and features decorative panels.
House of Fraser
308-318 Oxford Street W1
The former DH Evans premises by Louis Blanc were built in a streamlined German style in 1935-7. It was the first London store with escalators throughout and had a fifth floor restaurant seating 1000.
Marks & Spencer
Oxford Street
Known as the Pantheon it was designed by Robert Lutyens in 1938 and features black granite.
H E Olby
295-313 Lewisham High Street SE13
Stone facade with small paned metal windows, a parpeted roofline with decorative brackets and a flagpole. The business name is in tilework along the front of the building.
RACS
(pix) Lewisham High Street SE13
Built as Tower House in 1933 it has a bas relief of trains, ships & a lorry.
Simpsons 202 Piccadilly W1
Designed by Joseph Emberton in 1936 it is now a Waterstone's Bookshop.
T M Sutton Ltd
156-8 Victoria Street SW1
Built in 1935 (dated on parapet) the upper storeys of this jewellers/pawnbrokers feature banded windows and fluted columns.
Tudor Park Estate Agents
10 Central Parade, Penge SE20
Corner premises with much chrome work and geometric patterned door.
Woolworths
Lewisham High Street SE13
Now a Superdrug store

PUBS
Following a boom in pub building in the late Victorian and Edwardian period there was little need for additional pubs between the wars other than in new suburbs although some pubs were remodelled at this time. In both instances often a traditional style was favoured with mock Tudor rather than Art Deco features.

Bridge Western Avenue, Greenford
Opened in 1937 it retains 3 panelled rooms with original bar and fireplaces.
Churchill Arms
119 Kensington Church Street W8
Features from a 1930s refit survive including an Art Deco fender.
Duke of York 7 Roger Street WC1
Original features include Art Deco buff, red & black lino flooring
Fox & Grapes 9 Camp Road, Wimbledon SW19
The saloon lounge was formerly stabling, remodelled in the 1920s.
Herne Tavern 2 Forest Hill Road SE22
An Italianate Victorian pub refitted and extended in the 1930s it retains its 30's layout and fittings including fireplaces and tiled spittoons.
Royal Albert (pictured above) Westow Hill SE19
Tiled frontage with stained glass windows.
Windermere
Windermere Avenue, South Kenton
A red brick, Dutch gabled pub of c1938 with a number of original features including an advertising mirror with clock and tiled toilets. It is Grade II listed and on
CAMRA's National Inventory (interiors of outstanding historical interest).

BATHS & SPORTS
'Lido' comes from the Italian for 'seashore' and these were built for people who couldn't afford to go to the seaside at a time when sun-worshipping became fashionable. In their heyday they were extremely popular but high maintenance costs made them uneconomic and only a few examples remain.

Brockwell Park Lido Herne Hill SE24
Marshall Street Leisure Centre Dufours Place W1
This was designed by A W S & K M B Cross in 1927-31 and had a barrel-vaulted ceiling and marble lined pool. At the shallow end is a fountain niche with a merchild and two dolphins. It has been closed since 1997 and is now on the buildings at risk register (Grade II listed).
Poplar Baths (pictured above) East India Dock Road E14
Opened in 1934 it had a vitrolite foyer and large pool but is currently derelict [
website]
Tooting Bec Lido Tooting Bec Road SW17
This 1930s pool by H J Martin is one of the largest in Europe. The blue cafe was added in 1936.
Streatham Ice Arena 386 Streatham High Road SW16
Opened in 1931 it was designed by Robert Cromie who also designed cinemas. The outside is reconstructed Portland Stone with black faience and it has an unusual interior decor. It is threatened by Tesco's redevelopment plans. [
website]

CHURCHES ETC
This is not a style much associated with religious buildings probably because the 20s & 30s were not a period of church expansion. Curiously some former Art Deco cinema buildings are now utilised as churches.

Church of Christ Scientist Sloane Terrace SW1
Originally built in 1901 it has an Art Deco interior. Re-named Cadogan Hall it now serves as a classical music venue for the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Dollis Hill Synagogue
3-11 Park Side NW2
Designed by Sir E Owen in 1937 with zigzag & hexagonal features. It is now a Primary School.
First Church of Christ Scientist 54B Widmore Road Bromley
Oval vestibule and Austrain oak panelling by W Braxton Sinclaire (1928/33).
Second Church of Christ Scientist Palace Gardens Terrace, Notting Hill Gate W11
Designed by Burnet & Tait in the mid 1920s. Its features include a fine raised platform and organ screen.
St Marks Methodist Church
(pictured above) 459/461 High Road Tottenham N17
Incorporated within a block with shops at street level. Although built in 1963 this has an Art Deco appearance especially the tower where the glass motif is reminicent of the OXO building.
St Saviour's Eltham
Middle Park Avenue SE9
Designed by Welch, Cachemaille-Day & Lander in 1932-3 it was influenced by 1920s German Expressionism.

HOUSES
The inter-war period saw the development of large areas of surburbia. Some was in the moderne style but this was less popular than the 'Jacobethan' although some of these houses managed to incorporate Art Deco motifs, especially the sunray. On the same theme the moderne houses featured wrap-around 'suntrap' windows although the internal layouts were the same as in the Jacobethan houses. They may have been less favoured because of the impracticality of their flat roofs, metal windows and white finished exteriors. Flats with streamlined styling were offering a lifestyle and some had communal facilities. The best Art Deco homes are probably those designed for a client such as Eltham Palace.

77 Addington Road, West Wickham BR4
This was built for the Ideal Home exhibition in 1934. It is currently on the English Heritage 'Buildings at Risk Register' but it is planned to use it as a doctor's surgery to ensure its upkeep.
Beresford Avenue
East Twickenham Middx
Houses in this conservation area have suntrap windows and Art Deco doors.
Danson Road Bexley
Ten villas designed by D C Wadhwa were built amongst the usual Jacobethan style of the area.
Dolphin Square
Grosvenor Road SW1
Designed by Gordon Jeeves in 1937 with 1200 flats plus leisure facilities, shops & gardens. The complex also includes the Dolphin Square Hotel.
Dorset House Baker Street/Melcombe Street NW1
Luxury flats above shops with roof garden designed by T P Bennett in 1935
Du Cane Court
Balham High Road SW17
Serviced apartments which have featured in the 'Poirot' TV series
Eltham Palace
(pix) Court Yard SE9
A sumptuous Art Deco house was added to the restored Great Hall of the medieval palace by Seeley & Paget for the Courtaulds in the 1930s. It is now in the care of English Heritage who have refurnished the interior and open it to the public.
Florin Court (pix) Charterhouse Square EC1
This apartment block is used to indicate the home of Poirot in the TV series.
Grosvenor Estate (pix) Page Street SW1
Unusual chequerboard flats with shop pavilions designed by Edwin Lutyens in 1928-30 for the LCC.
50 Kensington Garden Square W2
Apartment block, including penthouses, with decorative metal balconies.
Kingsley Close
NW2
Houses with sun-trap windows and chevron-patterned balconies
Landsdowne Court
Purley
This has curved bays and chevron patterned windows.
Pullman Court
Streatham Hill SW2
A pioneering modern movement development of 1936 by Frederick Gibberd.
Residents website
Selwyn Court 16-34 Blackheath Village SE3
This block of flats with shops at ground level was built after 1936 on the site of the Blackheath Proprietary School. Objections led to the formation of the Blackheath Society but this was unable to stop the development.
Sloane Street
SW1
Multi storey flats above shop premises (entrance at number 50)

RESOURCES
The V&A and Museum of London shops have books on Art Deco. Another good source is the RIBA bookshop.
'Art Deco 1910-1939' V&A publication
'Art Deco London' by Colin Hines & Keith Cheetham
website
'London Art Deco' by Arnold Schwartzman
'The Buildings of England' by Nikolaus Pevsner & Bridget Cherry (London is covered in several volumes)
website
'The Making of Modern London 1914-1939' by Gavin Weightman & Steve Humphries
'The 1930s House Explained' by Trevor Yorke (Countryside Books)
'Old Cinemas' Shire Album 357 by Allen Eyles covers the UK but includes lots of London venues
There is a Cinema Theatre Association (not specifically Art Deco)
website
An online gallery of lots of cinema photos has been compiled (not specifically Art Deco) [
website]
There is a website devoted to lost cinemas of South London (not specifically Art Deco) [
website]
Photographs held by the NMR include the Maltby Collection from the 1930s of Odeon Cinemas in Greater London
website
The Local Studies section of Hounslow Library has some photographs of factories on the Great West Road. Tel 0845 456 2800.
Find out more about transport aspects at the LT Museum in Covent Garden.
website
The Geffrye Museum has room displays of the period and other resources
website
The Twentieth Century Society campaigns to preserve the best buildings built after 1914 (throughout the UK). They are based at 70 Cowcross Street EC1 Tel 020 7250 3871
website
Look out for buildings open for London Open House in mid September
website Use the search facility to look for inter-war buildings
Some websites about architecture can be found on my
links page
An Art Deco trail around some of the buildings is available [
click here]
The V&A have online information about some Art Deco buildings in London
website They also offer e-postcards with an Art Deco theme [click here]
Further afield there is a cinema and former factory (now offices) in Letchworth town centre. The Tesco store in nearby Baldock is another former factory in Art Deco style.


© london-footprints.co.uk 2007

Streetmap