Sporting News - NCAA College Football
Hi, [sign out]   My Fantasy Teams |
 | free membership
Auburn hires Gene Chizik as football coach
Posted: December 13, 2008
Sporting News staff reports

AMES, Iowa -- Auburn has hired Iowa State's Gene Chizik as its new football coach, turning to a former defensive coordinator who helped the Tigers forge a perfect season but has won five games in two years as a head coach.

Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard said Chizik told him Saturday he was accepting the job at Auburn.

"I'm disappointed for our Iowa State fans and student-athletes that he has chosen to leave our program after only two seasons," Pollard said in a statement. "I understand that it is a dream job for him, but the timing and the way it played out has been hurtful and disappointing."

Chizik's departure will be costly for either the coach or Auburn. According to the terms of his Iowa State contract, which was obtained by Sporting News under open records law, the Cyclones are due $750,000 should Chizik leave for a head coaching job in Division I or the NFL.

The contract, signed on February 19, 2007, was for six years. It paid him a $250,000 annual base salary and $800,000 in "additional compensation" for TV and radio shows and public relations.

Chizik failed to reach any of his incentives in two years with the Cyclones, including ones that would have rewarded him $100,000 for every regular-season victory beyond seven and the same amount each time his team was ranked in the top 10 of the USA Today coaches poll.

Chizik will succeed Tommy Tuberville, who resigned following 10 seasons with an 85-40 record.

"Through my travels in coaching over the last 23 years, there's one place that I've always wanted to return to and that is Auburn," Chizik said in a statement posted on the Auburn athletic department Web site late Saturday. "My family and I are Auburn through and through, and look forward to being part of the Auburn family and community."

Earlier, after landing in Auburn on a university jet, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs had declined to confirm the hiring after it was reported by numerous media outlets. But he later said in the statement that he was proud and excited to have Chizik returning to Auburn.

"He is a high-energy coach that is an outstanding motivator and demands a tough, physical style of football," Jacobs said. "I'm confident that Gene can build upon the foundation that has been established and make this a program that competes for championships on a consistent basis."

Jacobs was on the plane with university President Jay Gogue and other athletic department officials, reportedly returning from a trip to Memphis, where Chizik's agent, Jimmy Sexton, is based. A couple of dozen fans greeted the plane and some of them heckled the Auburn officials for choosing a coach with a losing record.

The 46-year-old Chizik is 5-19 in two seasons at Iowa State after successful stints running the defenses at Auburn and Texas. He coached the nation's top scoring defense on a 2004 Auburn team that went 13-0 in his third and final season with the Tigers before taking the same job at Texas.

That 2004 defense allowed just 11.3 points a game and Auburn finished the season ranked No. 2 in the country. In his lone season running the defense for Texas, the Longhorns won a national championship.

Auburn was paying Tuberville an average of $3.3 million a year and agreed to give him $5.1 million to buy out his contract despite calling his departure a resignation. He stepped down after a 5-7 season and the Tigers' first loss to rival Alabama in seven years, a 36-0 rout that was the final blow for a team that was predicted to win the Southeastern Conference Western Division.

Iowa State started out 1-8 in Chizik's first year, but wins over Colorado and Kansas State at the end of the season gave the program momentum heading into 2008.

The Cyclones opened this season with wins over South Dakota State and Kent State before the bottom fell out. Iowa State ended the year on a 10-game losing streak and finished winless in the Big 12.

Like Chizik, Tuberville's background was as a defensive coordinator. Auburn's biggest problems came on the other side of the ball, where the Tigers ranked 110th in scoring offense last season. Tuberville fired first-year offensive coordinator Tony Franklin in midseason when a switch to the spread offense failed to pan out.

Last week, Chizik stripped offensive coordinator Robert McFarland and defensive coordinator Wayne Bolt of those duties and reassigned them within the staff. He also fired quarterbacks coach Tony Petersen and secondary coach Shawn Raney.

Auburn reportedly had interviewed at least eight coaches, including Buffalo's Turner Gill and TCU's Gary Patterson.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Bowl season is upon us, so get in on the action. Sign up for our new College Bowl Pick 'Em game for free!

Sporting news - YourTurn   SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE

Comments
Safe pick....not so good...
SailorGabe on Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:43 pm
I would have gone with Turner Gill or Brain Kelly....both are better head coaches in my opinion...
VT07ACCchamps on Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:45 pm
Wow! What's with the SEC downgrading in terms of head coaches lately?

Tenn., Miss. St. and now Auburn have now all hired unproven head coaches.
one word
dabrownster6 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:47 pm
Hilarious
Re: Safe pick....not so good...
VT07ACCchamps on Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:51 pm
SailorGabe wrote:
I would have gone with Turner Gill or Brain Kelly....both are better head coaches in my opinion...
Exactly. At least Iowa St. can now upgrade and hire Turner Gill.
Hawkfan_75Blog on Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:52 pm
Great Hire (Sarcastically) Wow if I'm an Auburn fan I am pissed. You fired the guy with the high winning percentage for a guy who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Guess it is right you reap what you sow.

Good luck explaining this to the recruits. I guess Saban can sleep better now knowing what his instate competition is.
mmcdan13Blog on Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:55 pm
Chizik went 0-8 in the Big 12 NORTH. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Nick Saban will eat this guy's lunch! Why in the hell would you get rid of a really good coach in Tubberville if there isn't an A-List coach on the market?
lgmountaineersBlog on Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:56 pm
Wow. Auburn really messed up here. I just can't see the logic behind replacing Tuberville with Chizik. They had better hope this works out, or else there will be a lot of VERY upset fans in Auburn, and rightfully so.
Unbelievable!
jaxAU on Sat Dec 13, 2008 05:00 pm
We fired Tuberville for this? Iowa State has to be loving it, they were going to fire him anyways in the near future and now we pay them a buyout. Sorry Turner Gill, you didn't want to be here anyways with this mess, even though the whole Auburn nation was pulling for you, you will probably better off in the long run.
This is a joke...right?
daatcdawgBlog on Sat Dec 13, 2008 05:10 pm
Tuberville got the shaft a few short years after an undefeated campaign and they replace him with...Jizzik? Turner Gill would have been great and probably kept all of these lost recruits. Now, Auburn will spend the next few years getting their tails handed to them by Alabama in recruiting and on the field.
What the......?
rwcole on Sat Dec 13, 2008 05:13 pm
Who made this decision? Nick Saban?
All times are EST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page 1 of 7
Click Here