Sporting News - NCAA College Football
Hi, [sign out]   My Fantasy Teams |
 | free membership
Ga. Tech tweaks offense for bowl game vs. LSU
Posted: December 15, 2008

ATLANTA (AP) -- Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson may add a few wrinkles to his spread option before the Yellow Jackets meet Louisiana State in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

Johnson plans to use the time leading up to the Dec. 31 game at the Georgia Dome to work on some run-and-shoot passing plays that have been a hidden part of his offense.

"We don't have our whole system in yet," Johnson said Monday at the Chick-fil-A coaches luncheon. "We'll use the extra practices to work on some of our run-and-shoot stuff.

"There are a lot of the areas of the offense that we are still not very adept at," he added. "We've got to improve in the passing game. We've got some work to do in all areas there and this will give us that opportunity."

With No. 14 Georgia Tech (9-3) coming off a 45-42 victory over rival Georgia, that isn't good news for LSU (7-5). Despite having to make a complete adjustment, Georgia Tech flourished under the offense that Johnson brought with him from Navy.

"This is a real challenge or us," LSU coach Les Miles said of facing the spread option. "We are going to have to play very well. You can't take a play off against them."

A year after winning the national championship, LSU lost three of its last four games in the regular season and gave up 120 points in the process. The Tigers are seeking redemption against Georgia Tech.

"This is an opportunity to end the season with a win," Miles said. "They are going to hand someone a trophy with champion on it after the game and we want it."

In addition to stopping Georgia Tech's spread option, LSU must be able to do the job offensively against a Yellow Jackets defense that should be back to full strength after several late-season injuries.

"We need to get consistent play at quarterback," said Miles, who indicated that true freshman Jordan Jefferson would likely start against Georgia Tech.

The Chick-fil-A Bowl, which is sold out for the 12th consecutive year, annually matches the ACC against the SEC. Georgia Tech is 2-0 against the SEC this year, beating Mississippi State and Georgia.

"We're proud of the ACC," Johnson said. "We don't feel like we have to take a back seat to anyone."

With freshmen starting at both tackles spots because of injuries, Johnson has concerns about his offensive line going against LSU's rugged defensive front.

"Hopefully they won't get us for child abuse putting our freshmen out there against those guys," Johnson joked.

Georgia Tech is rewarding Johnson, who was rumored to be a candidate for the Auburn job, with a contract extension for his banner first season and the deal could be announced soon.

"I think its about done," the coach said of the extension. "I not interested in being anywhere else but here."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sporting news - YourTurn   SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE

Comments
New wrinkle might be grand canyon...
tigerstu on Mon Dec 15, 2008 06:23 pm
I am a die hard LSU fan, and I am positive that LSU has a good chance to win. However, they really have to show up with a better defensive plan to stop this option offense. LSU has to be more disciplined up front, and the DBs have to know when to pull and when to keep tight coverage. The LSU offense can play with the GT defense whether they are back to 100% or not. Jordan Jefferson is young but has the capabilities that the other QBs don't and that's the ability to run when he needs to or pass when its appropriate.
I'm just worried about the D getting their heads on straight and not falling for some gimmicks thrown at them.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Re: New wrinkle might be grand canyon...
GEAUX_LSU_#1Blog on Tue Dec 16, 2008 01:27 am
tigerstu wrote:
I am a die hard LSU fan, and I am positive that LSU has a good chance to win. However, they really have to show up with a better defensive plan to stop this option offense. LSU has to be more disciplined up front, and the DBs have to know when to pull and when to keep tight coverage. The LSU offense can play with the GT defense whether they are back to 100% or not. Jordan Jefferson is young but has the capabilities that the other QBs don't and that's the ability to run when he needs to or pass when its appropriate.
I'm just worried about the D getting their heads on straight and not falling for some gimmicks thrown at them.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

I agree. Defense will be the key. I think our offense will be ready to play, Jefferson showed he can manage the game. But unless our defense, or preferably some defense other than the one who played those 12 regular season games, shows up it will be a long night.
Semper on Tue Dec 16, 2008 07:12 am
I'm hoping that our RB's spend a lot of time between the tackles grinding out the yards. I don't want to get into a shoot out with this team.
x-pertBlog on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:32 am
This should be a top notch bowl game. Great way to end the year and bring in a new year.

JOE HORN'S LAWN SERVICE

ALABAMA CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
Tiger "D" purrs like a helpless kitten.
Hyacinth House on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:54 am
Hey Georgia Tech: Why bother? LSU gets rung-up for 50+ every week. You don't need to tweak your offense to prepare for a team like that.

Besides, the ACC smoked the SEC in inter-conference games this year. Why should this game be any different.

And one more thing: LSU is actually playing a bowl game away from home for once. They won't know what to do on the road.

PS: Pathetic little Slowhio had missed FG's, dropped TD passes, and red zone penalties in the "National Championship" last year. And they still scored 24 points against the home town favorites (LSU). How sad is that? This team has absolutely no athletes on defense.
Re: Tiger
ftlgatorBlog on Tue Dec 16, 2008 02:15 pm
Hyacinth House wrote:
PS: Pathetic little Slowhio had missed FG's, dropped TD passes, and red zone penalties in the "National Championship" last year. And they still scored 24 points against the home town favorites (LSU). How sad is that? This team has absolutely no athletes on defense.

Didn't LSU still win?
Re: Tiger
Hyacinth House on Tue Dec 16, 2008 03:45 pm
ftlgator wrote:
Hyacinth House wrote:

Didn't LSU still win?

Of course they won. We're talking Slowhio here. Anyone with a pulse can smoke Slowhio.

The point is that LSU at home allowed a mistake ridden Slowhio team to score 24. That's just pathetic.

USC beat Slowhio 35-3 without breaking a sweat.
All times are EST
Page 1 of 1
Click Here