Sporting News - NCAA College Football
Hi, [sign out]   My Fantasy Teams |
 | free membership
Sporting News' college football All-American Second Team
Posted: December 17, 2008
Sporting News

This week, Sporting News magazine will name its college football award winners. Here's a look at SN's 2008 All-American Second Team (to see the first team, click here):

SECOND TEAM

OFFENSE

QB Tim Tebow, Florida, Jr.
RB Javon Ringer, Michigan State, Sr.
RB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State, So.
WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri, So.
WR Austin Collie, BYU, Jr.
TE Chase Coffman, Missouri
OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia, Sr.
OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma, Sr.
G Seth Olsen, Iowa, Sr.
G Herman Johnson, LSU, Sr.
C Alex Mack, California, Sr.
K Graham Gano, Florida State, Sr.
KR Derrick Williams, Penn State, Sr.

DEFENSE

DE Aaron Maybin, Penn State, So.
DE Nick Reed, Oregon, Sr.
DT Peria Jerry, Mississippi, Sr.
DT Fili Moala, USC, Sr.
LB Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh, Sr.
LB Brian Cushing, USC, Sr.
LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest, Sr.
CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State, Sr.
CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest, Sr.
S Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech, So.
S Rashad Johnson, Alabama, Sr.
P Kevin Huber, Cincinnati, Sr.
PR Kyle Wilson, Boise State, Jr.

Bowl season is upon us, so get in on the action. Sign up for our free College Bowl Pick 'Em game!

Sporting news - YourTurn   SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE

Comments
What are you on?
Hendu1976 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:01 am
I am a diehard Gator, and I will admit that Tebow probably should not be on the first team. But not on the second team? Okay fine, I can get over that if, and that is a huge if, if it is to Colt Mccoy or Graham Harrell (sp?). They had great years too and played against good teams. But for Tebow to not even get the second team due to a QB who played conference games against San Jose State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Utah State and powerhouse Nevada, give me a break. Tebow's backup would have put up huge numbers against those teams. This is complete hogwash. Why not the kid at Baylor, he was also a freshman and he played against good teams week in and week out.
I think TSN is intentionally...
a2buckeye on Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:02 am
trying to stir things up until we get to the meat of the bowl season....Not 1 single kid listed in this article would go ahead of Wells, Jenkins, Tebow, Harvin etc....Is this a joke? Seriously, TSN,I demand an answer!!!!!!!!!
Re: I think TSN is intentionally...
Hendu1976 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:48 am
a2buckeye wrote:
trying to stir things up until we get to the meat of the bowl season....Not 1 single kid listed in this article would go ahead of Wells, Jenkins, Tebow, Harvin etc....Is this a joke? Seriously, TSN,I demand an answer!!!!!!!!!

I was just re-looking at the list. I wonder if somehow the second team freshmen list got inserted here instead of the second team all american kids. I know the two defensive kids from Miami were on the all freshmen team, either 1st or 2nd team. And so was the kid from Michigan listed right between them.

Does anybody know if these kids are all freshmen?
Re: I think TSN is intentionally...
go_deacsBlog on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:48 am
Hendu1976 wrote:
a2buckeye wrote:

I was just re-looking at the list. I wonder if somehow the second team freshmen list got inserted here instead of the second team all american kids. I know the two defensive kids from Miami were on the all freshmen team, either 1st or 2nd team. And so was the kid from Michigan listed right between them.

Does anybody know if these kids are all freshmen?

Nice catch. This is the wrong list. They are all freshman from what I can tell. Nice editting from the guys at SN.
CBass3Blog on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:09 am
Am I out of line for suggesting that Percy Harvin should be on the 2nd team? I can certainly understand Crabtree and Bryant ahead of him on the 1st team but not this omission.
Correction
mdinitto.tsn on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 am
We apologize for posting the wrong list initially. We mistakenly put the all-freshman team in this article rather than the overall all-Americans.

- Marcus DiNitto, managing editor
Re: Correction
tjahome on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:44 am
mdinitto.tsn wrote:
We apologize for posting the wrong list initially. We mistakenly put the all-freshman team in this article rather than the overall all-Americans.

I love TSN, but the editors should be fired. Period.
BradEz1Blog on Wed Dec 17, 2008 01:52 pm
tjahome wrote:
mdinitto.tsn wrote:

Wow, being a little bit rough on the Beaver there arent ya Ward???

A mistake was made, the mistake was corrected, and they publicly admitted it and apologized.. I can promise you ESPN or Fox Sports would never admit a mistake, and mistakes there are... And if they do admit to a mistake, the retraction is burried so deep in the web site that by the time you find it, my four year old will be getting ready for her High School Graduation!!!! I say good job TSN, at least you fix your mistakes and don't just cover them up and forget them.
tjahome on Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:14 pm
BradEz1 wrote:
tjahome wrote:
mdinitto.tsn wrote:

Wow, being a little bit rough on the Beaver there arent ya Ward???

A mistake was made, the mistake was corrected, and they publicly admitted it and apologized.. I can promise you ESPN or Fox Sports would never admit a mistake, and mistakes there are... And if they do admit to a mistake, the retraction is burried so deep in the web site that by the time you find it, my four year old will be getting ready for her High School Graduation!!!! I say good job TSN, at least you fix your mistakes and don't just cover them up and forget them.

I didn't mention the four letter network or the sly animal network, did I?

I should, however, have stated the following:

I love TSN, and don't really read the other network's websites. However, due to continued and repetitive mistakes in reporting, broken links, and a seemingly carefree attitude on the part of the editors, I believe they should be fired. Period.
finkle is einhornBlog on Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:27 pm
Sorry, I understand the man crush on Tebow, but he was better last year, and despite a great year this year, he started off slow.

McCoy should be the 2nd team qb. Put the stats head to head, and it isn't even close. That was my understanding of why you picked Bradford, I guess you abandoned that rational for the 2nd team.

No offense to Gator fans, Tebow is a great guy and qb, just this one year, McCoy had the better year.
All times are EST
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2
Click Here