Sporting News - NCAA College Football
Hi, [sign out]   My Fantasy Teams |
 | free membership
Magazine Exclusive

Sporting News' college football All-American First Team
Posted: December 17, 2008
Sporting News

This week, Sporting News magazine will name its college football award winners. Here's a look at SN's 2008 All-American First Team (to see the second team, click here):

OFFENSE

QB Sam Bradford, Soph., Oklahoma. Really, head-to-head numbers (vs. Colt McCoy and Graham Harrell) do matter. Despite OU's convoluted BCS argument.

RB Shonn Greene, Jr., Iowa. When Greene is the first running back taken in the NFL draft, you'll swear you watched all 13 Iowa games this season.

RB Donald Brown, Jr., Connecticut. UConn's passing game: four touchdowns, 17 interceptions. And Brown still led the nation in rushing.

WR Michael Crabtree, Soph., Texas Tech. The most skilled, dangerous wide receiver in the nation -- just ask Texas -- and a future star on Sundays.

WR Dez Bryant, Soph., Oklahoma State. Still raw in the technical aspects of the position but makes the unthinkable routine.

SN's 2008 COLLEGE FOOTBALL AWARDS
All-American First Team
All-American Second Team
All-Freshman Team
Best by conference

TE Jermaine Gresham, Jr., Oklahoma. A nightmare matchup for defenses and Bradford's go-to receiver when the Sooners need to make something happen.

T Michael Oher, Sr., Mississippi. Still learning the position and loaded with potential, he'll be a fixture for some lucky NFL team.

G Duke Robinson, Sr., Oklahoma. Big and nasty, and like most on the Sooners' fine line, a natural run blocker.

C Antoine Caldwell, Sr., Alabama. Smart and intense with a road-grading mentality. In other words, the perfect combination at center.

G Brandon Carter, Jr., Texas Tech. Don't let the crazy stares fool you; there are few more dedicated to the little things that evolve into the big things.

T Andre Smith, Jr., Alabama. Engulfs anything on the other side of the line in pass-protection situations.

K Louie Sakoda, Sr., Utah. Could've made this team as a punter, too; handles punts, field goals and kickoffs.

KR Michael Ray Garvin, Sr., Florida State. Easiest coaching duty: Find a world-class sprinter and put him on kick returns.

DEFENSE

DE Brian Orakpo, Sr., Texas. Once a year, we get a defensive player worthy of Heisman Trophy consideration. Here he is.

DT Terrence Cody, Jr., Alabama. Mount Cody, a 380-pounder, was the reason Alabama went from good to great on defense.

DT Gerald McCoy, Soph., Oklahoma. Two years ago, he was lazy and didn't work hard enough. Now look at him -- all grown up and controlling the interior.

DE Jerry Hughes, Jr., TCU. A former high school tailback who developed into the best pass rusher in the game.

LB Brandon Spikes, Jr., Florida. A big hitter who thrives in passing situations--both blitzing and in coverage.

LB Rey Maualuga, Sr., USC. The meanest player in the game; his once-chaotic style is much more controlled and fluid now.

LB James Laurinaitis, Sr., Ohio State. Three All-American years, and very little has changed: He's fast, he's versatile and he's always around the ball.

CB D.J. Moore, Jr., Vanderbilt. Has come a long way since his 2006 freshman season, when experienced SEC quarterbacks picked him apart.

CB Victor Harris, Sr., Virginia Tech. The flamboyant "Macho" has toned down the act and eliminated flaws in his game.

S Eric Berry, Soph., Tennessee. Has terrific instincts and breaks quickly on the ball -- plus, he finds the end zone after an interception.

S Taylor Mays, Jr., USC. A freak of physical ability; one of USC's three fastest players and its biggest hitter.

P T.J. Conley, Sr., Idaho. No position is more about numbers, and Conley's 47.4 yards per punt is ridiculous.

PR Brandon James, Jr., Florida. A diminutive sparkplug who takes big hits and has big moves.

Bowl season is upon us, so get in on the action. Sign up for our free College Bowl Pick 'Em game!

Sporting news - YourTurn   SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE

Comments
stresdog on Wed Dec 17, 2008 07:55 am
I can think of 3 linebackers in the SEC better than Laurinaitis! can you say Andy Katzenmoyer?
Green ahead of Beanie?
a2buckeye on Wed Dec 17, 2008 08:55 am
You are joking I hope...And anybody, I mean anybod (Sanders, Allen,Sims, Smith etc.....)were they to go to UCONN,would not and should not go ahead of Beanie let alone Donald Brown Jr (honestly, I never heard of this guy)We will see come April!
baddawggoh on Wed Dec 17, 2008 08:59 am
stresdog wrote:
I can think of 3 linebackers in the SEC better than Laurinaitis! can you say Andy Katzenmoyer?

Yes, yes, anything SEC is better than anything Ohio State. Good, insightful post.

Yawn.
Greene is a first teamer
trury on Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:04 am
Greene deserves to be an All-American. He took a pounding and kept going. The same can be said for Wells.
good call on Gresham...
BradEz1Blog on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:14 am
The guy did'nt bring home any of the awards, but when a play was needed he did it, and then made some more just for good measure. Kaufman and the cat from Oklahoma State are up there too, I just like Gresh more...

If this Florida defense is so great, and is going to show OU what a real defense is... Why arent their more of them listed here??? I see OU got one or two on the offensive side.. And a guy on the D-line..... Hmmmm, makes one wonder does'nt it....

All joking aside, I think Florida is solid from top to bottom for sure, but it seems like the Media and the Gator fans have already penciled in a win here, Urban has already measured his finger for the ring... I think that they will all be very, very surprised when they actually line up on game day on both sides of the ball....
Nostical on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:50 am
Beanie Wells is a very good running back, but Donald Brown was the best back in the country, hands down. The fact that he was not a Doak Walker finalist shows how myopic the footbal media has become.
a2buckeye must live in a Buckeye isolation chamber not to have heard of him.
Lou_Holtz_Weis on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:39 am
LB Rey Maualuga, Sr., USC. The meanest player in the game; his once-chaotic style is much more controlled and fluid now.

LB James Laurinaitis, Sr., Ohio State. Three All-American years, and very little has changed: He's fast, he's versatile and he's always around the ball.

All-Overrated Team
Land Thief on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 am
With regards to the comments about Gerald McCoy, someone didn't do their homework. Not only has he never been lazy, he has probably been THE hardest working Sooner since he arrived on campus.

During the summer, he even asks the strength coach (Schmitty) for a double workload. He's been that way since he got to Norman.

Again, not sure who you thought you were referring to, but calling McCoy lazy or insinuating he ever was is not only misinformed, it's lauaghable.
Sexy Pete on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:16 pm
stresdog wrote:

I can't even think of three linebackers in the SEC.
Malcom
scared11 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 01:28 pm
the only question I have to ask is how is malcom jenkins not a first teamer. He was the best player on the team this year. you guys have hated on OSU all year long and most of the players that we as fans think are good, but I have never heard anyone say he was overrated or anything bad for that matter. So how can the thorpe trophy winner not be on here. Jenkins is a first team all american, and I guess maybe you get more respect on here if you are underrated than rated right on here because atleast people wont be saying bad stuff about you, like overrated.
All times are EST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 1 of 4
Click Here