Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  david willig
E-mail:  rabbidw@cs.com
Date:  6/11/2004 11:08:00 AM
Subject:  Reb Shlomo
To be clear: Are you saying that his music should be shunned, because his public behavior was imperfect?

Reply: correct
CYA

For the record, my Rosh Yesiva, Rav Chaim Pinchas Sheinberg, Shlita, gave specific permission for one of his talmidim to use Reb Shlomo at a function for the talmid's shul. But I ask two questions. One, how can anyone know that he did not do Teshuva before he was niftar and second, if it is assur to listen to his music, what are we to do at a simcha when the band plays carlebach, as they all do? BTW, my cousin, Rav Yehoshua Kalish sends regards to your father, his old Chavrusa in Lakewood.

Reply:  He may not have known him. He may not have said it exactly as the people repeated it. I personally went to Rabbi Scheinberg and showed him a signed letter with his own signature that he and his children said they did not write. Certainly a quoted Psak that got passed around in the game of Telephone can get lost in the shuffle.

It is known that he was that way till the end, and anyway, without any indication otherwise, we do not assume a person does Teshuva.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board