When a new county court house was built in Salt Lake City in 1850 a small jail was built in the basement which could hold approximately 10-15 prisoners.




The first building built as a Jail was in 1855, located next to the county court house at 268 W. 200 S. The jail was a rotary jail. The building was gothic and resembled a church building in appearance.  A picket fence surrounded the property and there were no bars visible from the outside.




Prisoner Charles Thiede was executed on August 7th 1896 by hanging at the County rotary Jail in Salt Lake City for murdering his wife





July 7, jail at 451 south 2nd east completed, along with Sheriff’s residence in front of the jail.  The Jail was built to house 64 inmates, but was remodeled to house 150 inmates shortly after construction. Sheriff Joseph C. Sharp




Construction started on the new Metropolitan Hall of Justice, District Court Building, and the Salt Lake County Jail/ Salt Lake City P.D. Jail, Sheriff George Beckstead.




Metropolitan Hall of Justice and the Salt Lake County/ Salt Lake City P.D. Jail completed and the inmates moved into the new jail.      The city space was next to Capt. P. Dow’s office across the hall from the kitchen and training classroom. Sheriff George Q. Nielson Jr.



August, old jail and Sheriff’s residence demolished.



Salt Lake City P.D. decided to contract with the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office to house their inmates and will not maintain a city jail.  Sheriff Delmar “Swede” Larson



County Attorney, restaurant, and the S.L. City P.D. bicycle room was vacated from the first floor of the Metro Hall and was remodeled into the Misdemeanor Men’s section and the Woman’s section.  This area was referred to as the fourth floor, but was a section of the second floor of the Metro Jail.  The old Woman’s section on the second floor was remodeled to become the dispensary.  The S.L.C. PD bicycle room became the Jail Administration Office and allowed the public to have access to the Jail Command for the first time since 1855.  The Admin office was across the hall from the line-up room and the old entrance to the jails second floor.  Sheriff N.D. “Pete” Hayward



Kitchen expanded and remodeled.  Sheriff N.D. “Pete” Hayward. l1988 lBooking Office, Mental Health Wing, inmate-clothing room, and the break room were completed on the north and east sides of the existing jail.  Sheriff N.D. “Pete” Hayward & Capt. Joe Gee, Commander.




April 17th completed construction on the Seventh Section, Misdemeanant Men’s unit located on the main floor of the old Salt Lake City P.D. records section.  Funded by the U.S. Marshals and the Salt Lake County Commission.  Sheriff N.D. “Pete” Hayward & Bruce Thayne, Jail Commander.




June 28th, groundbreaking and construction of the Oxbow jail started.  Sheriff N.D. “Pete” Hayward & County Attorney David Yocum, Bruce Thayne and Dean Carr, Jail Commander.




Moved first inmates into the Oxbow Jail on December 16th.  Sheriff Aaron Kennard, Jail Commanders Dean Carr and Capt. Dan Ipson.



Groundbreaking ceremony August 6th by Sheriff  Aaron Kennard and Salt Lake County Commissioners for the new Adult Detention Complex (later renamed Salt Lake County Metro Jail) 3415 S. 900 W.




Salt Lake County Metro Jail dedicated October 17th by the Salt Lake County Commissioners, Sheriff  Aaron Kennard, and Chief Dan Ipson.




January 22nd and 23rd, the inmates at the old Metro Jail were moved to the new Salt Lake County Metro Jail.




March 3, 2001 - Metropolitan Hall of Justice (Old Metro) demolished.








February 23rd, the inmates at the Oxbow Jail were moved to the new Salt Lake County Metro Jail.  The Oxbow facility is still used fro support purposes and may be used for future expansion.