USMA HomeMonuments and Statues
   Previous Back to Main Listing Next Slide 12 of 14

Battle Monument thumbnail image- click for close-up view Battle Monument
Perhaps the most prominent and majestic monument at the Academy is the Battle Monument. It was dedicated in 1897 "in memory of the officers and men of the American Army who fell in battle," specifically the Regular Army casualties of the North during the Civil War. Battle Monument was designed by an architecture engineering firm that included Stanford White, one of the nation's foremost architectural designers of the late 19th century. The shaft is reportedly the largest polished granite shaft in the Western Hemisphere. Some 2,230 names are inscribed on it. The figure at the top, "Lady Fame" or "Victory," was sculpted by Frederick MacMonnies, who also did the Nathan Hale statue in City Hall Park in New York City.