103 Squadron - The Elephants
Israel established the 103 squadron in May 1948 to serve primarily as a transport unit. The 103 squadron was initially composed of several DC-3 and DC-5 aircraft, and added three former US Navy Catalina aircraft in 1951. The Israeli Air Force merged the 103 and 69 squadrons in 1954, at which time B-17 aircraft were part of the 103 squadron.
During the Sinai Campaign of October 1956, France loaned Israel ten C-47 aircraft, and Israel also acquired three N-2501IS Noratlas aircraft in 1955. Over the next ten years, the 103 squadron added additional aircraft, some of which were subsequently transferred to other squadrons. The Six Day War of 1967 provided the 103 squadron with another opportunity to act in its air support role, although one Noratlas aircraft was lost.
The 103 squadron continued its air support operations during the Yom Kippur War, and it had received eight Hercules C-130H aircraft by 1976.