Sporting News - NFL Football
Hi, [sign out]   My Fantasy Teams |
 | free membership
Magazine Exclusive

SN's NFL All-Pro Team
Posted: January 15, 2009
Clifton Brown
Sporting News

Sporting News surveyed 664 players, coaches and general managers to determine our 2008 NFL awards and all-pro team. For the full list of winners, see the Jan. 19 issue of Sporting News magazine. If you are not receiving the magazine, subscribe today, or pick up a copy, available at most Barnes & Noble, Borders and Hudson News retail outlets.

Offense

QB: Drew Brees, Saints. It's hard to find a quarterback who is more accurate or who gets rid of the ball more quickly.

RB: Adrian Peterson, Vikings. His combination of power and speed turns every touch into a potential touchdown.

RB: Michael Turner, Falcons. He stepped out of L.T.'s shadow and proved he is one of the league's best.

WR: Andre Johnson, Texans. The recognition he deserves is starting to come his way.

WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals. Nobody has better hands, and his speed is deceptive.

TE: Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs. He plays with passion and professionalism despite being trapped on a losing team.

T: Michael Roos, Titans. Kerry Collins never worries about being blindsided.

G: Chris Snee, Giants. He is Tom Coughlin's son-in-law, and Snee's blocking keeps the family happy.

C: Shaun O'Hara, Giants. He is the leader of the offensive line and a leader in the locker room.

G: Steve Hutchinson, Vikings. The Seahawks have never replaced him, and the Vikings feel he is worth every penny.

T: Jordan Gross, Panthers. His blocking is critical to the Panthers' potent running attack.

Defense

E: Mario Williams, Texans. Nobody still questions Houston for selecting him No. 1 in '06.

T: Albert Haynesworth, Titans. He can't be blocked by one person, and many times two people are not enough.

T: Kris Jenkins, Jets. He was the anchor of the Jets' defense, which collapsed when he was banged up late in the season.

E: Julius Peppers, Panthers. He bounced back from a down 2007 season, dominating stretches of games.

LB: DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys. He is so athletic he can chase down even the most elusive quarterbacks.

LB: James Harrison, Steelers. His ability to rush the passer and punish ballcarriers is the key to a versatile Steelers defense.

LB: Joey Porter, Dolphins. Some thought he was washed up. Forget that. He talks a lot, but he backs it up.

CB Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders. Most quarterbacks avoid throwing his way. Those who do test him usually regret it.

CB: Cortland Finnegan, Titans. He has a linebacker's attitude -- he loves to get physical and is not afraid to take chances.

S: Troy Polamalu, Steelers. Great instincts and preparation allow him to take chances other safeties cannot.

S: Ed Reed, Ravens. He covers more ground than a FedEx delivery truck and can turn any turnover into a touchdown.

Special teams

K: Stephen Gostkowski, Patriots. He is almost a sure thing, even in bad weather.

P: Shane Lechler, Raiders. One of the few things the Raiders could count on was the performance of their punter.

KR: Leodis McKelvin, Bills. The coaches expected him to be an impact rookie, and he was. His return ability elevated Buffalo's special teams.

PR: Reggie Bush, Saints. He is tremendous at making the first tackler miss. All he needs is a small crack to make a big play.

Sporting news - YourTurn   SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE

Comments
Not bad
DaidaiBlog on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 pm
There isn't much I'd change in this list...but DeAngelo Williams is much more deserving than Michael Turner. He had better production on fewer carries.

And Scifres is the best punter in the league. No question. He won a playoff game for his team -- no other punter can say that this decade. Maybe ever. Scifres deserves the recognition and the spot on this team.
ron189 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 07:04 am
Peppers couldn't carry Justin Tucks mouth piece.
He didn't look good against the Giants or the Cards. Tuck had an All-Pro season, all season.
Yossarian23 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 08:18 am
never been a fan of All-anything teams that don't designate specific positions. for the most part this one is better than most (o-line and d-line have all the specific parts, not just top 5 without a center or the 4 best defensive ends) but why not for the linebackers too? it's broken up into a 4-3 with mostly 3-4 OLB's, and no middle backers.
kenk175 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 08:57 am
Great list, it's nice to see Brees not playing second fiddle to a Manning. I am surprised to not see any Saints O-line members on any all pro list considering how few times Brees has been sacked.
scurds on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 am
I would take a team with peyton manning throwing to randy moss and steve smith with stephen jackson in the backfield behind the carolina o-line. my defense would include brian dawkins, bob saunders, charles tillman, ray lewis and pat williams and john abraham on the d line. my team would whip yours 16 games in a row.
RavenManiac52Blog on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:47 am
kenk175 wrote:
Great list, it's nice to see Brees not playing second fiddle to a Manning. I am surprised to not see any Saints O-line members on any all pro list considering how few times Brees has been sacked.

I think Clifton alluded to that by mentioning how quickly Brees gets the ball out of his hands. Granted, the O-line helps by preventing defenders to get to the quarterback, but all the great QB's are able to get the ball out in a reasonable time.

A quick-release quarterback with a serviceable (not necessarily elite) group of linemen will produce less sacks.

The list is a good one, but I also think DeAngelo Williams deserved to be on here; the man has turned into a touchdown machine. I'd be interested to see the voting tally from the 664, just to see how close some guys came to making it.
Funny
eaglelover1Blog on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:34 am
It's funny that not one Eagle made this list and they will possibley win it all (a chip and a chair). Even though Quintin Mikell made the second team. Maybe, (and this is just ME talking), The best way to determine an all pro team would be to make this list after the season is complete Playoffs included. I would like to have seen Bunkley make this list at DT as well as Jackson at Center. What about Cole at DE and Dawkins at Safety. Just my opinion.
1whiskeyBlog on Fri Jan 16, 2009 01:54 pm
Is fullback no longer considered an NFL position???
JSpicoli on Fri Jan 16, 2009 06:01 pm
This is my list. The popularity contest for the stupid masses is so Bristol. They can have it. Lechler is the best punter too, btw, has been for 3 years. Get over Scifres having a good game. Lechler does it every week, and he needs Aflack with the number of punts he has to attempt.
Charles Woodson??
ACDC84 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 06:17 pm
Woodson had more INTs than Finnegan (7 to 5) and was better in coverage. The icing on the cake is that Woodson played behind an extremely weak d-line, while Finnegan played behind one of the five best lines in the game, anchored by one of the top two or three defensive players in the game.
All times are EST
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2
Click Here