Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Site Help Rules

Please read the pinned topics!

Make sure you read the pinned topics as they contain helpful information on how to resolve problems for many common scenarios.

Ignore them and help might be far away because it will take ages before we have the info we need or the answer to your question is already there.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
TV Shack FAQ's (Website and Forum), Please read this first - very helpful!
Heidymus
post Dec 1 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced TV Shack Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

TV Shack FAQ's - Updated on Dec 08, 2008

TV Shack Website

1- Does TV Shack host videos?
2- What is the best browser to use while viewing videos online and on TV Shack?
3- How To: Submit alternate links?
4- Problems loading videos, what should I do?
5- I'm getting this message while watching videos on TV Shack: "You have watched 72 minutes of video today. Please wait (insert number) minutes or click here to enjoy unlimited use of Megavideo." Why and what to do? (Contains solutions to the Megavideo timelimit issue)
6- Megavideo "Connection problem". Why and what to do?
7- Why are there so many Megavideo hosted videos on TV Shack? Can't you use another video host?
8- When I click on a Megavideo hosted video, it pops up an advertisement on another page and not the video itself. Is this supposed to happen?
9- I hate pop-ups. Why does TV Shack have them?
10- I just saw a "bad" or "suspicious" looking advertisement. What do I do now?
11- I submitted incorrect information (such as title, season/episode number, year, link) for a video or I have found a video with incorrect information. What should I do?
12- Where can I find a list of the formats accepted by TV Shack for link submission?
13- Is it possible to start a video from where it was stopped if I have closed the window?
14- How To: Add videos to favorites?
15- How To: Speed up videos?
16- How To: Submit multiple TV shows quickly and save time?
17- Audio and video out of sync. Why does this happen and what can I do? (Contains solutions to the audio/video sync issue)
18- Double episodes, (for example the first episode of "Legend of the Seeker" was a movie length episode but was titled 1.01/1.02) what is the best way to submit that on the submit page?
19- Are special characters in titles allowed when submitting links?
20- Why are my comments about videos being deleted from the site?
21- How To: Maximize a video / make a video full-screen?
22- How does TV Shack add summaries or descriptions to the videos?
23- Subtitles on TV Shack?

TV Shack Forum

1- Why can't I use private messaging on the forums or make a request thread?
2- Why does it say "content deleted" in the forum thread that I created?
3- How To: Take a screenshot for support inquiries?

TV Shack Website

1- Does TV Shack host videos?

A: TV Shack does not host, store, or distribute any of the videos listed on the site and only link to user submitted content that is freely available on the Internet. For further information about TV Shack, its intent and use, please go to: Terms of Service.

2- What is the best browser to use while viewing videos online and on TV Shack?

A: Mozilla Firefox, along with the latest version of Adobe Flash Player and Java.

3- How To: Submit alternate links?

A: With the introduction of version 3 came the ability to submit alternate links. To submit alternate links for a video, after you have registered and signed in, please click on "add links" at the top of the page. If we already have the video which you are submitting a link to, you may want to search for the video first and click on "add a link" under "alternate links" on top of the video. More information on how to add a link can be found here:

4- Problems loading videos, what should I do?

A: First of all, please make sure that you read the Site News and Announcements forum. A video host (such as Tudou) might be down or having problems, in which case a staff member will try to notify everyone by making a post. If you do not see any post regarding the issue, please read the stickies found in the Site Help and Suggestions (pay close attention to: Videos stop half-way through buffering. Why is this and what can I do?). Common problems for this to happen may involve but is not limited to the following:
  • You do not have the latest version of Flash Player. Please download it from Adobe Flash Player Official Website. If that does not work, please try this. Please remember to fully remove any versions of Flash Player before downloading another one by using your Control Panel's Add/Remove Program function.
  • You have not enabled Java. You may download it from: Java Official Website.
  • Some video hosts will only allow you to play videos using Firefox. Please download it from: Mozilla Firefox Official Website.
  • When the page loads, don't click play right away. Allow it to load for 15-20 seconds.
If you have read the stickies under Site Help and Suggestions, have the required programs discussed above and are still experiencing the same problems, please provide a complete description of your problem (including the programs that you have - Firefox, Internet Explorer, updated version of Flash, etc) and a screenshot following the instructions from "How to take a screenshot?" by making a new thread under the Site Help and Suggestions forum where a member from the TV Shack staff will try to help you as soon as possible. Please do not PM a member of staff for any support issues. That member may not be available for a long time due to personal problems or he/she may simply be busy. If you make a thread, someone is bound to get to it quickly (be it a member of the staff or one of our regular users).

5- I'm getting this message while watching videos on TV Shack: "You have watched 72 minutes of video today. Please wait (insert number) minutes or click here to enjoy unlimited use of Megavideo." Why and what to do?

A: TV Shack staff understands how much you enjoy watching videos on it and under no circumstances will we ever restrict how much time you are allowed to do so! Recently, Megavideo has incorporated a timer on videos. It does not happen all the time or to everyone. You may purchase the premium membership if you want but we do not advise or condone it. Here are the alternatives which you may try instead:
  • Reload the page. A lot of the time, it will allow you to continue watching without having to wait. Some1thing else that may be a result from this is that it will greatly decrease the amount of wait time.
  • Take a break to make some popcorn, grab a drink, go to the bathroom or perform some type of chore such as cleaning your room, etc.
  • Watch the videos offline. This final one has not been tested but you can try it if you'd like by doing the following:
    Step 1: When you click play on a Megavideo video, click pause and allow the video to buffer all the way to 100%.
    Step 2: Once the video is done buffering, go to your menu bar on your browser, and click on File -> Work Offline.
    Step 3: Watch video.
    Step 4: Unclick the "work offline" button.
More solutions which you may want to try can be found at: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...22153207AAtDeAz, Megavideo timelimit bypass thread or just google "Megavideo Time Limit Solutions". Needless to say, we have not tested those solutions yet but you may try.

6- Megavideo "Connection problem". Why and what to do??

A: Megavideo "Connection problem" is just a temporary problem occuring due to bandwidth lag on megavideo.com. If you see "connection problem" error when you try to watch a movie, please refresh the page or try again after some time. It will work!

7- Why are there so many Megavideo hosted videos on TV Shack? Can't you use another video host?

A: TV Shack staff is currently working toward providing many different alternatives to hosting sites that are accepted for submission. We have very little control over where videos are hosted being that we are not the ones hosting the videos ourselves. TV Shack and its staff simply links to these hosting sites. Nevertheless, please ask yourselves, would you rather not watch the video at all? Megavideo has "bad" aspects to it, such as limiting the time that you can watch. Fortunately, it also has very good aspects, such as good quality, very fast streaming and fast upload abilities.

Also, please keep in mind that you're watching videos for free as opposed to spending over 20 dollars at the movie theater or purchasing a show. This should help you put things in perspective (keep in mind that prices change but this is a normal, typical price). The following prices are in US dollars!

Prices for 1 adult to go to the movie theater:

Typical US movie theater ticket: $10
Typical US nacho-coke or popcorn-coke combo: $10
Typical US parking (if it's in garage such as at the mall): $5

Total for 1 adult to go to the movies: $25

Prices for 1 season of a popular show:

Scrubs - The Complete First Season (2001) bought at Walmart (link) (it's the cheapest place from what I have seen and heard):

Discounted: $34.86
List Price: $49.99

So, as you see, you're saving quite a lot of money (especially when putting several visits to the theater or seasons together) by having to wait a little bit of time.

In other words, yes, we will try to find videos on other hosts for our users. We will even try to provide alternate links for you to watch the video on whichever host you enjoy. However, when there is no other host which has the video, we will link to Megavideo because something is better than nothing (or having to spend quite a bit of money on it).

8- When I click on a Megavideo hosted video, it pops up an advertisement on another page and not the video itself. Is this supposed to happen?

A: Most likely, they are just trying to pay their bills (bandwidth is expensive). Please understand their needs, simply close the pop-up and enjoy your video on TV Shack. Unfortunately, TV Shack has no control over what Megavideo does to their player.

9- I hate pop-ups. Why does TV Shack have them?

A: There are costs associated with a high-traffic website such as TV Shack. In order to pay for these costs, advertisement (as rare as it may be on TV Shack) is needed. At this moment, you should only be receiving 1 pop-up from TV Shack every 24 hours. Please keep in mind that Megavideo pop-ups do not have anything to do with TV Shack pop-ups. Those are implemented by them, not us.

10- I just saw a "bad" or "suspicious" looking advertisement. What do I do now?

A: Advertisements from an advertising network rotation are shown randomly on TV Shack. Some advertisers do not specify that their advertisements are audio or adult when submitting to the rotation. This is why some creep through onto TV Shack every now and then. We need you to report these advertisements to us when you see them by following the instructions at: How To: Report a Bad Advertisement

11- I submitted incorrect information (such as title, season/episode number, year, link) for a video or I have found a video with incorrect information. What should I do?

A: Please make sure that the content is incorrect by making use of IMDB, Wikipedia or any website which is reliable (for example, a movie's main website). Then, make a thread in the Site Help and Suggestions forum with the information to inform us of what is happening. Please do not PM a staff member unless it is an on-going issue that you have been discussing with them and that they are aware of! It definitely does not bother us to receive PM's and we are very thankful for the help. However, that member may not be available for a long time due to personal problems or he/she may simply be busy. If you make a thread, someone is bound to get to it quickly.

12- Where can I find a list of the formats accepted by TV Shack for link submission?

A: Please read the pinned threads under Site Help and Suggestion forum. Specifically, please pay close attention to: How To: Add A Link To TV Shack.

13- Is it possible to start a video from where it was stopped if I have closed the window?

A: This feature is called "seeking". Unfortunately, that's not possible. What you may want to do is wait until a video has completely loaded (except on Youku which loads 7-minutes at a time only) and then randomly click around the buffering bar until you have found your place.

14- How To: Add videos to favorites?

A: Please click on "add to favs" found under the video summary.

15- How To: Speed up videos?

A: You can speed up video loading times significantly by using SpeedBit Video Accelerator. It is a FREE piece of software which works for many websites such as Tudou, Youtube, etc.

When installing, make sure you untick the boxes and just click "next" on the next few screens that come up until it's finished. Finally, restart your web browser and use TV Shack as normal, you should notice a considerable loading speed increase.

16- How To: Submit multiple TV shows quickly and save time?

A: TV Shack staff is currently working to make a much faster multi-submission form. In the mean time, here's a faster form for submitting TV shows, that will take you back to the same form after each submission: Alternate TV Shows Submission Form (#2). This form will make it so you don't have to keep going back and forth when submitting shows!

17- Audio and video out of sync. Why does this happen and what can I do?

A: There are a few reasons for why this may happen. Here are a few provided by our users:
  • Audio latency occurs most commonly when a AVI DivX file is converted to any form MPG.
  • It happens when the host site converts the file format and saves it to their server.
Solution:
  • If there is an alternate link, you may click and try that one.
  • Open up the video in two windows, lower the volume completely for one of them and sync them yourself (by pressing play on both of them - one right after the other). This is difficult and tedious to do but it works and is the only solution that there is (unless there is an alternate link).
18- Double episodes, (for example the first episode of "Legend of the Seeker" was a movie length episode but was titled 1.01/1.02) what is the best way to submit that on the submit page?

A: If you're posting for example "Show name 1x02 and 1x02 double episode", label it as just 1x01 when posting on TV Shack. So, it'd be posted as Season 1 Episode 1.

19- Are special characters in titles allowed when submitting links?

A: Yes. Please go to IMDB and whatever title it says there, that's the title to copy and paste.

20- Why are my comments about videos being deleted from the site?

A: We do not provide support via comment box. For any technical support, please refer to the forum. Any comments of such nature will be removed.

21- How To: Maximize a video / make a video full-screen?

A: The "full screen" buttons are usually found somewhere near the volume control. If those buttons are not working for you, please make sure that you have the latest version of Flash which can be found at: Adobe Flash Player Official Website

22- How does TV Shack add summaries or descriptions to the videos?

A: The summaries are put in by scripts - provided that the users type in the correct information when submitting the links (such as year, etc). What you can do if you want to add something is, you can make a comment (found on the bottom of the videos) after registering and logging in.

23- Subtitles on TV Shack?

A: TV Shack cannot add or remove any subtitles from videos. A few of the videos on here have subtitles. However, it's impossible for us to add them for all the videos as we don't actually upload them. No other sites of this type have subtitles either. If you have any specific request, you may make a thread in the Link Requests forum. Please make sure to include "with subtitles" under the title.

TV Shack Forum

1- Why can't I use private messaging on the forums or make a request thread?

A: You need at least 10 posts to be able to use these options. Our link hunters would much rather link hunt for people whom they have interacted with on the forums. They're putting a lot of effort into helping you, so we are requiring for you to be a part of the community first.

2- Why does it say "content deleted" in the forum thread that I created?

A: It most likely means that you made an infraction on the forum rules. One that is often unintentionally broken (due to a lack of reading on the user's part) is the "do not post requests before you get 10 posts" rule. A complete list of the rules can be found here.
3- How To: Take a screenshot for support inquiries?

A: Please follow these instructions:

Step 1: Press PrintScr (key next to F12 and scroll lock). This will take a picture of your whole screen.
Step 2: Open up Paint and press Ctrl-V. This will paste the image you took a screenshot/ picture of.
Step 3: Click on "File" and "Save as". This will save the file to a specific location such as desktop. However, it's usually found somewhere like: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures
Step 4: Open http://tinypic.com/ and click on "browse", find the picture at the path where you saved it then click on "Resize: Message Board". After that, click on "Upload Now". It will give you a link and you just get that one and you copy and paste it (ctrl-v or right click).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th January 2009 - 10:37 PM
Skin designed by IPB Forum Skins