The return of the ShareReactor

The return of the ShareReactor

Episode 19, in a network far far away a lone technician plugs in the final cable into an almost forgotten big machine complex, identified by a faded green label as 'ShareReactor'. Everything hums and comes alive. The first input from the technician is 'But what does it all mean?', to which the machines in unison reply: 42!

For those of you that are not high (yet), this means ShareReactor is back, hosted by the good folks of The Pirate Bay. If you liked ShareReactor, have a party and spread the word (and send us pictures of it and any leftover cake... mmm cake...). If you had no clue about ShareReactor, this is your chance to get to know it.

If you don't like ShareReactor and I would like to wave hello to all those ugly organizations out there responsible for its original demise, I only can say: Go forth and multiply, it’s back and it's gonna stay for good.

Now for most this is where you stop reading, it's back, fine, bring on the files. But for those select few who actually want to know what happened, or for those who have no idea what this ShareReactor was before, here are the details.

Back in 2000/2001 when eDonkey2000 came up, there was not much around. You searched the network with the internal tool, which is nice, but you always get a lot of garbage with it too. The p2p application had the great feature of creating something you could call a link. In that link, you have filename, a size of the file in bytes and a hash, which will identify the file uniquely, even if you change the filename. The eDonkey 2000 Requests and releases board was born and later got renamed to Masenka. Many users linked to it from the official board, that's how I discovered it like so many others before me.

Another forum popped up on the board, for a small site that looked neat, but did not hold much pull for me. Who would want releases nicely formatted just ready to click? Sure nice idea, but the content was relatively thin and I was to be honest too comfy in the existing forum. I was never much active in posting, but a lurker by trade.

Near the end of 2001 that small page changed design, created it's own independent forums and started to call itself ShareReactor, not even a full 3 months after it was created. Around the same time Masenka switched the name to FileNexus, which it kept till that one kicked the bucket too.

ShareReactor's page soared, adding releases like crazy, showing software, movies and games, not only the top Hollywood crap but also some lesser known or classic ones. And so did the forum, a large community that changed over time, but always kept a relative friendly outlook on everyone - newbies as well as veterans - a helpful hand if you needed one and many more releases that never made it to the mainpage.

It had its ups and downs over time with users and admins, but in March 2004 it was shut down by the police. Servers confiscated and backups taken, nothing was left. A '2 months' investigation took over 4 years. Nobody was arrested, only the guy who ran the show and hosted it in his own house got charged with anything at all.

In late 2006 SR tried to come back, unfortunately the person who should have run the site and own it, was a rather unfriendly. Seeing that it was not generated heaps of cash as he thought it would, he disabled the page and tried to sell the domain. And that of course without telling anyone. Everyone was pissed because of that, but there was not really anything that could be done at first. The sale was stopped though and the domain returned to its original owner because of contractual breaches, after a long battle of almost a year.

Fast forward to 2008: Like a newbie, I asked some The Pirate Bay head honchos about a site that would deliver tested releases only. Of course I was not the first idiot to propose that. LSOB that I am, I actually got to talk a bit longer with them and it came out that they wanted to do just that for a long time, but simply they had no time to take care of it. Also they didn't know how exactly it could look like. Well, I had the time. And it could look like, for example, ShareReactor? It wasn't hard to find the guy who made ShareReactor and he agreed to hand over the domain to TPB. So ShareReactor would come back, now who will take care of it?

chaykin, DCJoeDog, O-MEGA and myself stood up to take control. We are the team and will bring you releases in good old fashion of ShareReactor. That means good quality (as available), free of viruses and other bad things and all labeled exactly as what it is. We will bring you one release for any particular thing and not 20, so you won’t have to guess which one would be good, you will just know which one is good, by simply finding it on the page.

Thanks to some magic, we also have the old ShareReactor releases in the system, based on ed2k links. We will keep ed2k links in the system and even add new ones over time as they tend to stick around longer. But of course our main focus is on new releases and torrents. The forums are a backup of what was online in 2006, which in turn is a backup from the end of 2002 (one year of posts were lost back then). Although some might not be relevant anymore, we decided to keep them all around. If your user doesn't work anymore, try to "recover" your password, that might solve it.

Everyone here at the revived ShareReactor would like to thank all of the former admins of ShareReactor, from the very first to the ones still around in 2006. We also would like to thank Christian 'Simon Moon' Riesen for handing over the domain to us and explaining how ShareReactor worked. And of course we would like to thank every single user that ever has visited ShareReactor, and especially those that released stuff on the forums and helped other users selflessly. All of you have made this possible and without you, we would not revive a legend of P2P but just create yet another P2P page. And hopefully you enjoy what SR is now. Our thanks also go out to the good people at The Pirate Bay who made this comeback physically possible, especially brokep and TiAMO who have been instrumental in making this work. Thanks to all of you!

ShareReactor is back. TPB is hosting it and a small but dedicated team of people are taking care of it. None of the old admins are involved anymore, but maybe some of them might join us later on. Enjoy the page, talk in the forums and have fun!

You can also reach us on the #ShareReactor channel on EFNet.
We have two basic rules at ShareReactor, don't be a dick and don't post anything that is illegal in Sweden.
I like cake. Cake is good. I don't have a cake problem, I got it all figured out. Mmmmm... cake.
utopat
ShareReactor Admin

Post Posted 16.12.2008 20:25

Re: The return of the ShareReactor

Welcome back! This site was my file sharing home back in the day. I am very happy to see it back and connected to its modern day 'version' TPB. Good call on adding torrents, as the ed2k scene is not what it once was. Are you guys going to have a tracker? Or just use trackers like TPBs?
"Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague. And we are... the cure. "
JiMiThInG
ShareReactor Moderator

Post Posted 18.12.2008 11:32

The ed2k scens is stills strong IMO....but it's nice to have a oldie back....now if Sharelive would come back too :)
Pirates are "absolute divine beings"
But again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty you need only look into a mirror.
Sons_Of_Liberty
Reactor Visitor

Post Posted 18.12.2008 17:07

Welcome back !
Gowenna would be proud of you all :nl2:
NiukNiuk
Regular Reactor Visitor

Post Posted 18.12.2008 19:12

Im very happy the site is back on again and i hope it starts booming again once the word gets spread ( which ofcourse ill help do :) )
Its good to be back :)
TheCrow...
Reactor Visitor

Post Posted 18.12.2008 20:56

Nice to see the site back up and running some reason i has to sign up again but never mind glad site is back :D :D
sparky678911
Reactor Newbie of the second

Post Posted 19.12.2008 00:07

Nice to see this one back up :) Also, I do recognize at least one nick from here already :D

/me waves at JiMi
lordpake

Post Posted 19.12.2008 08:52

Haha, my old account still works. This site brings back memories.
SomeGuy_GG

Post Posted 20.12.2008 00:14

WOW Gowenna is smilling . Is Simon gone now ? Twords the end Simon seemed to lose site of the girl that started it all and made the site his own ego trip . Well welcome back its cool to wonder around some old history
Randygod

Post Posted 20.12.2008 13:26

Randygod wrote:WOW Gowenna is smilling . Is Simon gone now ? Twords the end Simon seemed to lose site of the girl that started it all and made the site his own ego trip . Well welcome back its cool to wonder around some old history

Welcome and thanks for demonstrating that you haven't gotten the slightest fucking clue whatsoever about any of SR's history. Have a nice day :)
We have two basic rules at ShareReactor, don't be a dick and don't post anything that is illegal in Sweden.
I like cake. Cake is good. I don't have a cake problem, I got it all figured out. Mmmmm... cake.
utopat
ShareReactor Admin

Post Posted 20.12.2008 14:02

utopat wrote:
Randygod wrote:WOW Gowenna is smilling . Is Simon gone now ? Twords the end Simon seemed to lose site of the girl that started it all and made the site his own ego trip . Well welcome back its cool to wonder around some old history

Welcome and thanks for demonstrating that you haven't gotten the slightest fucking clue whatsoever about any of SR's history. Have a nice day :)
Whatever , I think I hit Simons nerve
Randygod

Post Posted 20.12.2008 14:06

I think he's probably used to it by now, I don't think you going to it any nerve's after 4 years
Pirates are "absolute divine beings"
But again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty you need only look into a mirror.
Sons_Of_Liberty
Reactor Visitor

Post Posted 20.12.2008 17:10

Nice to see it back.

Randy is not the only one with that opinion utopat. A few special individuals see it that way because of the way certain things happened for them on the page. I don't care what they think, not now and never did before. That without me giving it away, this wouldn't have been possible, is hard to comprehend for some.
"In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away..." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... it takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
Simon Moon
Advisor

Post Posted 20.12.2008 17:24

Simon Moon wrote:Nice to see it back.

Randy is not the only one with that opinion utopat. A few special individuals see it that way because of the way certain things happened for them on the page. I don't care what they think, not now and never did before. That without me giving it away, this wouldn't have been possible, is hard to comprehend for some.

Thanks Simon for your gift . regardless of the past , it Is good to see Share Reactor back today. Gowenna would be proud .
Randygod

Post Posted 20.12.2008 17:33

K, now how about we let that be in the past and go full throttle into the future?
:lovers: :nl2:
utopat
ShareReactor Admin

Post Posted 20.12.2008 17:58

:nl2:
Randygod

Post Posted 20.12.2008 18:29

No beef here with anyone. Just glad to see the site up and thank you to all involved. :) :nl2:

Post Posted 23.12.2008 15:51

Yea, ed2k will never die. :angel:

It seems to be the last backup from 2002, the last shutdown was in 2004?
Is there a backup with the Postings between 2002 and 2004?
Schuttwegraeumer
Reactor Newbie

Post Posted 23.12.2008 23:46

It seems to have been sacrificed to the interweb gods :angel:
DCJoeDog
ShareReactor Admin

Post Posted 24.12.2008 09:59

Excellant.
At least share one full movie sheesh.
denier