Live Work Play |
- The four Calgary hospitals have a combined total of more than 2,164 beds.
- All provide 24-hour emergency care and operate as - , trauma centres for southern Alberta, southeastern British Columbia and southwestern Saskatchewan.
- The Alberta Children's Hospital is the Pediatric Trauma Centre for these areas.
- The hospitals have a combined total employee population over 11,500.
Foothills Medical Centre
- Partnerships with the Grace Women's Health Centre, the University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine and the Alberta Cancer Board's Tom Baker Centre.
- Is one of Alberta's two principal medical teaching and research centres.
- Serves half a million patients each year.
- Is the major trauma centre for southern Alberta, southeastern British Columbia and southwestern Saskatchewan, and has a'22 bed Intensive Care unit, a 24 bed Cardiac Care unit, and 22 Operating Theatres including a specially designated trauma operating room.
- Has a High-Risk Maternity and Neonatal Intensive Care unit.
- Provides special programs in cardiology, neurosciences, provincial bone marrow transplants and in multiple transplantation (i.e. kidney, pancreas, corneal and tissue).
Telephone 403.944.1110 | http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hospitals/calgary/index.htm
Rockyview General Hospital
- Provides acute care through an Intensive Care and Coronary Care units.
- Has various Maternal Newborn programs as well as a Special Care Nursery.
- Conducts both day surgeries and surgeries requiring a stay in the hospital.
- Provides Mental Health, Psychiatric Services and a Senior's Health program.
- Is the Regional Centre for recovery of donated eye tissue for corneal transplants and research.
Telephone 403.943.3000 | http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hospitals/calgary/index.htm
Peter Lougheed Centre
- Has a 24 hour emergency department.
- Holds 506 beds.
- Offers specialized programs including: Maternal Newborn, Child Inpatient Unit and Day Surgery, southern Alberta Geriatrics and Mental Health
- Ambulatory Care Services such as Cardiac Diagnosis, Medicine, Respiratory, Gastrointestinal, Neurodiagnostics, and Gynecology Outpatient.
- Has an Intensive Care unit.
- Provides additional services through ambulatory care and 33 clinics.
Telephone 403.943.4555 | http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hospitals/calgary/index.htm
Alberta Children's Hospital
- First free-standing pediatric facility to be built in Canada in more than 20 years.
- Largest pediatric hospital in the prairie provinces.
- Has 133 beds, virtually all with windows.
- Emergency Department is designed to serve 60 thousand visits per year.
- Five times more private rooms than the former facility
- Has a staff of 3,200 supported by more than 500 volunteers
Telephone 403.943.7211 | http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hospitals/calgary/index.htm
Walk-in Health Centre for downtownCalgary 8th & 8th Health Centre
Located at the corner of Eighth Avenue and Eighth Street SW serving the needs of people in downtown Calgary.
- Provides urgent medical care services on a 'walk-in' basis for problems not requiring hospitalization, including 24 hour x-ray and lab services.
- Offers Public Health and Mental Health services and links to other community services. Provides home care clinical services.
- Has community development staff who work closely with downtown community groups on needs, health concerns, social issues, community action and strengthening links with residents.
The University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine is a national leader in health research with an international reputation for excellence and innovation.
- In 2004, the faculty received more than $100 million in research grants and contracts from the federal and provincial governments, charitable organizations and industry.
- The faculty's 13 cross-disciplinary research groups have fostered world-class health research results for cancer, cardiovascular, diabetes, joint injury and arthritis, genetic research and others.
- Houses excellent core facilities for state-of-the-art research at the cellular and molecular level.
Office of Medical Bioethics
The Office of Medical Bioethics is a division of the Faculty of Medicine staffed with expertise from areas of medicine, law, nursing and psychology. Its services include education, review and supervision of ethical aspects of human subject research, and clinical ethics consultations.http://www.fp.ucalgary.ca/medbioethicsSource: University of Calgary
Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan uses funds allocated by the federal government to cover medical services. All residents must register and pay monthly health premiums that entitles them to benefits within the province and elsewhere in Canada. Those covered are entitled to all insured medically required services provided by physicians and osteopaths. Certain services provided by dental surgeons are also covered and the plan provides limited coverage for chiropractic, podiatry and optometric services. Benefits for medically required hospital services are administered through the Regional Health Authorities.Source: Alberta Health and Wellness
Telephone 780 427 1432 | http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/ahcip/AHCIP.html
Alberta Blue Cross
Alberta Blue Cross is an independent, non-profit organization that covers supplementary health needs not included in the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. Benefit plans are available for individuals and families, seniors and employers. Coverage includes prescription drugs, vision care, semi-private and private hospital rooms, short and long term disability, emergency medical travel, dental, ambulance, home nursing, chiropractic and life insurance.
Telephone 800 661 6995 | www.ab.bluecross.ca