You are here: Churches | Ebenezer Chapel
Ebenezer Chapel
THIS PAGE WAS PRINTED FROM THE TOUCH 2000 HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY IN TONBRIDGE WEBSITE
PLEASE VISIT http://history.touch2000.org.uk

In the 1850's, there was not the friendliness and co-operation between the churches in Tonbridge that we have today.  A local tradesman called Mr. Piper was so dissatisfied with the existing churches in the town that he started his own church.

Ebenezer Chapel exterior today Mr Piper's church opened on June 8th, 1857 on his own land.  This was the beginning of the Ebenezer Chapel.  It was his Calvinism which led Mr. Piper to open his own church.  At the beginning, the church had a congregation of no more than 20 or 30 people.  However, it was quickly swelled by the influx of Baptists and non-denominational Christians as the new mission church progressed.

Although officially called Ebenezer Chapel, at the time it was widely known in the town as Piper's Chapel.

In the 1890's, the widening of the High Street meant that the chapel had to be relocated behind the old site, with the new entrance being in Bradford Street.

In 1866, Mr. Piper and some of his followers preferred to continue the chapel as an Independent place of worship.  The Strict Baptist section of the congregation left and moved to a new site, eventually building the Zion Chapel in Pembury Road.  The Ebenezer congregation remained Calvinistic Independent until the chapel eventually closed as a place of worship.  The building, however, is still standing in Bradford Street.

Main content and research © 2000 L. M. Simms and TOUCH 2000 / Tonbridge United Churches
Web design and production, and additional material © 2000-2009 Keith Halstead
Content managed by the Etomite Content Management System
Powered by Etomite CMS.