PicoSearch

  Help

 

Cemetery at Grassdale

March 2006

Eutaw Topics

Cemeteries

Town Square Map

Town Square Lot Owners

Plantations & Landmarks

Snedecor's Directory

First Settlers

Voter Precincts

Overview

1. Havana

2. New Prospect

3. Five Mile

4. Greensboro

5. Newbern

6. Hollow Square

7. German Creek

8. Forkland

9. Garret's Shop

10. Eutaw

11. Springfield

12. Knoxville

13. Union

14. Pleasant Ridge

15. Mount Hebron

16. Clinton

17. Boligee

Mantua

Eutaw

Plantations & Landmarks

Click on the thumbnails for a larger view of the images

Eutaw has 24 structures listed on the National Register for Historic Places and many more eligible for nomination.

 

 

Anthony, David Rinehart House (1860)

307 Wilson Street (Lot 95), Eutaw

Also known as the Wynne House.

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 2

Data Card

National Register of Historic Places

 

Banks, Wilkes House (1848)

500 Springfield Road, Eutaw

 

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Malloy, Dr. M. L. House

 

Bird, Winfield Scott House also known as the Samuel R. Murphy House (late 1850s)

1150 Mesopotamia Street

Bird purchased this home on Mesopotamia street in 1869. It was built from materials salvaged from the Mesopotamia Presbyterian Church that once stood on the Mesopotamia Cemetery property.

National Register of Historic Places

Photo taken Sep. 2006 by Kim Jacobson

Photo taken Sep. 2006 by Heather Griffin

Braune, Gustave House
(ca 1860)

236 Prairie Street, Eutaw

Gustave Braune was a jeweler advertising his wares as: Jewelry, Watches, Clocks and C. Silver and Plated Ware, spectacles, cutlery, and pistols.

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Braune-Inge-Beeker House

 

National Register of Historic Places

 

Brugh House (ca 1900)

Wilson Street, Eutaw

 

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Brugh House

 

 

Cockrell, Samuel W. House

210 Wilson Street, Eutaw

National Register of Historic Places

 

Photo taken March 2006

Grassdale (1820)
 

1160 Mesopotamia Street.

Also known as the John Coleman House

National Register of Historic Places

 

Photo of Grassdale taken March 2006 from Cemetery

 

Grassdale Cemetery Transcription with photos

 

 

Coleman-Banks House

430 Springfield Road, Eutaw

James Oliver Banks

Built between 1847 and 1853. Purchased by the Greene County Historical Society in 1968.

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 2

National Register of Historic Places

 

 

Davis, Attoway R. Home
(early 1840s)

305 Main Street, Eutaw

 

National Register of Historic Places

 

 

Elliot, John W. House (ca 1850)

244 Prairie Street, Eutaw

Elliot was a watchmaker and jeweler who came from Clinton to Eutaw in 1840.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Music Studio

 

Photo taken 03-2006

 

Eutaw Female Academy or

Mesopotamia Female Seminary (1846)

northeast corner of Main & Wilson

In the rear of the academy stands the music studio of Prof. Carlos Braune, German musician who taught in connection with the Female Academy.

 

Data Card

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 2

 

 

First Presbyterian Church (1851)

Main Street and Wilson Ave.

Greek Revival, two-story frame; wood siding with spike. Erected by David R. Anthony.

Historic Marker Text:

Eutaw, Alabama. Erected 1851, D. B. Anthony Contractor. Organized by Tuscaloosa Presbytery in 1824 as Mesopotamia Presbyterian Church. John H. Gray first minister 1826-1836. Educational Building Erected 1959.

Data Card

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 2

National Register of Historic Places

 

Garconniere of James B. Clark House

400 Mesopotamia St., Eutaw

National Register of Historic Places

 

Glennville

200 Scears St., Eutaw

Also known as Jincy P. Glenn House.

National Register of Historic Places

 

 

Gray, Rev. John H., House

(ca 1826)

709 Mesopotamia St., Eutaw

National Register of Historic Places

 

Interior CA 1936

Greene County Court House (1839)

Town Square, Eutaw

Built in 1839 by John V. Crossland on the centermost square of nine on the twenty acres conveyed by Asa White to Greene County for $10 in 1838. The building burned in 1868 and was rebuilt by George M. Figh.

Data Card

Engineering Sheet

Photo from Snedecor Map

National Register of Historic Places


Greene County Court House 2006
Genealogy files are housed here, and at $1.00 per PAGE for copies we highly recommend you bring a digital camera!

Greene County Historic Marker:

A County Older Than the State–Greene County

Named for Revolutionary War hero, General Nathaniel Greene, who drove British from Southeast. Area explored by DeSoto, 1540. Claimed as French Louisiana, 1699. Ceded to England, 1763. Ceded by Choctaw Nation, 1816. Made a territorial county, 1819. Eutaw, county seat, is named for Greene's victory at Eutaw Springs, South Carolina.

 

Located in the Town Square

 

 

Newly remodeled interior of Probate Office
(March 2006)

Sign on Probate Office

 

Greene County Probate Office

(1856) Northwest corner of the Town Square

 

March 2006: The Probate office was recently remodeled and now houses the Chamber of Commerce. The sign on the exterior of the Probate Office reads:

 

Greene County

Probate Office

Erected 1856

 

Probate Judge

W.C. Oliver

 

Commissioner

G.H. Sheldon

B.H. Ridgeway

J.M. Walton

Josiah Collins

 

Data Card

National Register of Historic Places

Greene County Library (1934)

Northeast corner of the Town Square

 

Historic Marker

 

 

Gullet, Benjamin D. House

317 Main Street, Eutaw (ca 1840s)

National Register of Historic Places

 

Hale, Stephen Fowler House

223 Wilson Street, Eutaw

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Hale-Jarvis-Trotter House

National Register of Historic Places

 

Herndon-Liverman House (1820s)

822 Mesopotamia Street, Eutaw. This house was originally constructed in Old Erir by Thomas Herndon. The house was moved to its present site in 1842. Known in Eutaw as the "Half House" because of its unusual appearance.

National Register of Historic Places

Jones, William G. House (ca 1840)

507 Mesopotamia Street, Eutaw

Also known as the Archibald-Tuck house

National Register of Historic Places

 

 

Kirkwood (ca 1858-1852)

11 Kirkwood Drive, Eutaw

Built by Foster M. Kirksey

The four-story mansion of Foster Mark Kirksey remained unfinished until after the Civil War. Roy and Mary Swayze bought and began restoring the house in the 1970’s with its marble mantles, crystal chandeliers, pecan groves and 8 acres of gardens.

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 2

Engineering Sheet Page 3

Data Card

National Register of Historic Places

Law Office

Eutaw, built about 1860

Data Card

Engineering Sheet

Photograph of Interior

Malloy-Jones-Shaw Home (1906) 248 Wilson Ave., Eutaw

Constructed for Dr. Martin Luther Malloy and his wife Laura Malloy. The architect was George F. Barber & Co. of Knoxville, Tennessee.

 

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Malloy, Dr. M. L. House

 

More about the Malloy-Jones Shaw House

 

 

Meriwether, Dr. Willis House

Also known as the Clark-Malone House (ca 1856)

243 Wilson Street, Eutaw

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Data Card

National Register of Historic Places

 

2nd floor added by raising the first floor

Oliver-Scott House (ca 1840)

238 Prairie Avenue

Caleb Taylor built this home which was later purchased by Judge William C. Oliver. A door going nowhere on the back of the house gives evidence to when Judge Oliver raised the existing house and created a new first floor.

William Bacon Oliver, James S. Coleman and Probate Judge Eleanor Montgomery Coleman were previous owners of this home.

 

 

Perkins-Spencer House

(ca 1835-1850)

89 Spencer Street, Eutaw

This home is also known as Perkins, William House and the Perkins-Browder House and is now called Freemount. William Perkins built this home on the Eutaw town square for his family.

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Perkins-Browder House

 

Data Card

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 2

 

 

Pierce, William F. House
(ca 1840)

309 Womack Ave, Eutaw

This raised cottage-style house was built by William F. Pierce and is also known as Merifield.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Pippen, Littleberry House

1850s
431 Springfield Street, Eutaw

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Pippen Plantation

 

National Register of Historic Places

 

Front-West view

Reese-Lucious House
(ca 1856-1859)

Reese, Edwin House

244 Wilson Ave, Eutaw

Data Card

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 2

Photograph of Exterior

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Reese-Phillips House

National Register of Historic Places

 

Roberts, Charles L. House
303 Washington Ave, Eutaw

National Register of Historic Places

 

Rogers, William A. House (pre-1850s)
1149 Mesopotamia Street, Eutaw

Also known as Four Oaks and the Rogers-McGee-Doughty house.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Schoppert, Philip House

230 Prairie Street, Eutaw

National Register of Historic Places

 

Smith, A. W.  House (1840)
220 Main Street, Eutaw

 

Data Card

Engineering Sheet

Photo provided by
Fenwick C. Byrd

Saint Stephens Church

The original building was constructed in 1847-48 and replaced in 1914 after it was destroyed by fire on 14 February 1913.

 

Elihu R. Steele Tavern & Stagecoach Inn (ca. 1820): This structure was moved from old Mesopotamia and restored in the 1980’s by Mr. & Mrs. Snipes as their family home.

 

Steele, Richard G House

1155 Mesopotamia Street, Eutaw

National Register of Historic Places

 

Tuck, Edwin A House (ca. 1900)

1016 Mesopotamia Street

Queen Anne style home purchased in 1912 by Edwin Tuck.

 

Photo taken March 2006

Drawing by Diane Liverman for Greene County Historic Society

Vaughn-Morrow House

409 Wilson Street, Eutaw

Current home of the Greene County Historic Society

National Register of Historic Places

 

Alexander-Herndon-Webb-Wilson House 1835

AKA Herndon-Webb house and Alexander-Webb-Wilson House

309 Main Street, Eutaw

The Webb-Alexander house was built by A.F. Alexander ca 1835. According to the Alabama Heritage by Virginia Pounds Brown, Thomas Hord Herndon (Jr) purchased the house in 1850 then sold it to his brother-in-law Henry Young Webb Jr. in 1850.

 

Engineering Sheet Page 1

Engineering Sheet Page 2

Data Card

 

Webb-Howell House ca 1908

119 Pickens Street

This Greek Revival built home built by Charles H. Webb is also known as Oakmont and is now a Bed and Breakfast.

 

Webb, William House (early 1840s)

401 Main Street, Eutaw

William P. Webb was a native of North Carolina , who came to Eutaw in 1939 and practiced law. The house was sold at auction to L. N. Grubbs in 1914.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Photo taken March 2006

White-McGiffert House

White, Asa House (ca 1836)

314 Womack Street, Eutaw

This house was built by Asa White, one of Greene County's earliest settlers.

 

Data Card

Engineering Sheet

National Register of Historic Places

Willis, William B House

108 Ashby Drive, Eutaw

Also known as "Sipsey"

This home was moved from a wooded area near Pleasant Ridge to its present site and carefully restored with the foundation built of hand-made bricks following the original design.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Wilson, Caitlin House (1844)

237 Wilson Ave, Eutaw. Also known as the C. W. Dunlap House.

 

Data Card

National Register of Historic Places

Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage - Murphy Dunlap House

 

 

Wright, Daniel R. House

501 Pickens Street, Eutaw

National Register of Historic Places

 

References:

ADAH Historic Markers

Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage

Historic American Buildings Survey, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, HABS/HAER Collection.

National Register of Historic Places, Greene County, Alabama

Walking and Driving Guide to Historic Eutaw Alabama, published by the Greene County Historic Society (205) 372-2871