Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > FEATURES

Old 05-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
MattBrady

GREETING THE GUARDIANS: STAR-LORD

by Vaneta Rogers

Next week, Marvel’s new ongoing Guardians of the Galaxy series will launch with a team and mission spinning out of the Annihilation: Conquest event. And as we approach lift-off for the new sci-fi series, Newsarama is spotlighting the characters who make up the new team of cosmic heroes.

Featuring a group that is organized by veteran soldier Star-Lord and the newly reborn Adam Warlock to literally guard the cosmos, Guardians of the Galaxy will star a group of fan-favorite cosmic characters – and unlikely teammates – including the new Quasar, Drax, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon and the '60s Kirby monster known as Groot.

While the new series has an old, familiar name that is associated with a former Guardians of the Galaxy comic about a team from an alternate future, the group battling against the forces of evil in this cosmic adventure will be a brand new band of heroes. (But co-writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are promising a connection to the original Guardians – one they’ve indicated will emerge as the story unfolds.)

So as this new team forms to serve as the first line of defense in the cosmos, Newsarama asked Abnett and Lanning -- who answered together in their common moniker "DnA" -- to put together a list of what they think are important points to note about each character, as well as providing a few teases about what’s coming in Guardians of the Galaxy. Today, we begin with one of the main organizers of the new Guardians team – Star-Lord.

Star-Lord: Peter Jason Quill.

- Powers:
DnA: None. Peter had his cybernetic implants removed during Annihilation Conquest and now relies on his skill and training with weapons, and on several exotic alien martial arts.

- Homeworld:
DnA: Peter was born on Earth to an Earth mother and a Spartoi father.

- Personality:
DnA: Peter is a pragmatic veteran of many space battles and cosmic conflicts. He has a warrior's morbid humor and a heightened sense of irony. He is also a very honorable man and has been burdened with guilt over his actions in the past. He sees the Guardians as a way for him to make some sort of recompense for perceived failings he's made during his career.

- Brief Bio:
DnA: Peter Quill, once known as Star-Lord, helped Nova lead the United Front during the Annihilation Wave Event. In the wake of that crisis, he was appointed special advisor to the Kree Empire by their leader, Ronan the Accuser. He brokered a deal with the Space Knights to establish a defense system to protect the Kree space but was betrayed when it transpired the Space Knights were infected by the Transmode virus and slaves to the Phalanx. Quill, taking the name Star-Lord again, became the leader of an underground resistance group that helped bring down the Phalanx and their leader, the Terran robotic entity called Ultron. Since then, he has teamed up with the mystical enigma, Adam Warlock, to form a new cosmic team, the Guardians of the Galaxy, in an attempt to prevent cosmic disasters like the Annihilation Wave and the Conquest event from happening again.

- Recommended reading to get to know this character better:
DnA:
Marvel Preview #4
Marvel Preview #11,
Annihilation #1 - 6 (2006)
Annihilation Conquest: Prologue #1
Annihilation Conquest: Star-Lord #1 - 4 and Annihilation:Conquest #1 - 6

- Last time we saw this character, he was...:
DnA: Basking in the glow of the victory over the Ultron led Phalanx forces on Hala but using the time to assemble his new team of cosmic protectors.

- What this character brings to the team:
DnA: Leadership. Loyalty. A strong warrior code of honor. Pithy sarcasm.

- Something readers may not know about this character, but we think is interesting:
DnA: He is not adverse to taking tough decisions, even at the expense of alienating his team-mates.

- What fans of this character can look forward to in Guardians of the Galaxy:
DnA: More of the same old Peter Quill charm and humor that they saw in the Conquest series and his solo book plus a healthy dose of cosmic adventure and stunning sci-fi superhero action!

- Favorite line that's coming up for this character:
DnA: 'Have we won yet? Never mind, I can see we haven’t.'

Check back tomorrow when we ask Abnett and Lanning to spotlight Adam Warlock, who is working with Star-Lord to form the new Guardians of the Galaxy.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
GeminiJED

Marvel Cosmic 4tw~

Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
codazen

What? No wolverine with cosmic claws?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Ye Olde Iowa

Hooray! I really could not be more excited about this new ongoing. It is definitely a good time to be a Marvel cosmic book fan!

This was a fun little feature. I look forward to checking out the rest of them!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Corpulent1

Haha, that upcoming line is so perfectly Star-Lord.

I wonder if the deaths of some of his dirty half-dozen are part of the past failures he's trying to make up for.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Xanrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by codazen

Who needs Wolverine, when you have Drax with knives.

1. He is Green.
2. He is Bald.
3. He has killer tats.
4. He wears leather pants.
5. He uses knives he got from a store in Alaska.
6. He ripped Thanos's goddam heart out.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
durkadurka

Sweet. But Groot? That's good, but why isn't he on the first cover? His inclusion would've only made it more badass.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Kelby

I think Groot is now a sapling, again, like the first time it died in the Star-Lord mini.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
durkadurka

And what about Bug and Wraith? Dammit, i liked them all!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
WeirdSpace

This is one of the few ongoing series from Marvel I've really looked forward to.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
DSNG

Guardians of the Galaxy, huh?
Well, I'm a big sci-fi fan....so I'll try and keep up with this one.

MY FREE SFA WEBCOMIC. UPDATED 5 TIMES A WEEK. [NSFW]

Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
ZacWilliam1

No one ever mentions the Timouthy Zahn Starlord mini Marvel put out years ago.

It involved a new character who found Starlord's old living ship and took up the mantle since Quill was MIA at the time. I'd love to see that worked in somehow now that the character's back in the spotlight.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #13
Peasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkadurka
And what about Bug and Wraith? Dammit, i liked them all!
What I was thinking...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
Kolimar

Thumbs up

Tres cool.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
J.Williamson

I'm looking forward to this.
Hopefully it leads to more tie ins to the Marvel Cosmic/ Annihilation line.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
mose73

Most Excellent. These little teasers just highten the anticipation that much more.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #17
OM

...Actually, what I'd love DnA to touch base on is Peter's origin, his previous Star-Lord career - especially the Claremont/Austin/Byrne classic tale! - and whether or not he still has his special guns the "Master of the Sun" gave him. The ones that squirt unlimited amounts of earth, air, fire and water. That, and where the frack Ship has been all this time!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #18
mattyjay

between the fun group of characters and DnA's record of excellence with sci-fi titles (Legion, Annihilation, Nova), this is a no-brainer of a no-brainer. no-brainer times infinity.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
Bolted

Rocket Fraken Raccoon. Oh ya!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #20
TheToileteer

I miss the original Star-Lord--the human-looking one from Marvel Preview etc. This version (with its odd appearance) seems designed to transform him from the lead character into a supporting character, at the expense of ruining him as a handsome, heroic figure. Originally he was Buck Rogers / Luke Skywalker. Now he's more like something out of 2000 AD--plus he dresses like a Nazi.

I wish that Capt. Marvel, Silver Surfer, and Starhawk could have been included alongside Warlock and Nova--and that the "funny animal" or derivative characters could have been eliminated. That would have produced more of a "Justice League of Space" feel, as opposed to a motley crew of droids/cyborgs, aliens, and earthmen.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #21
Starbird

Quote:

Haha...that's funny. Great question though. Wolverine's @$$ is all over the place, I'm surprised he's not making an appearance in this title...

...or will he?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #22
Mundungus

I like the motley crew aspect. These guys show up on a planet being attacked by, I dunno, a giant robot and everyone looks at them and goes, "You are?"

"WE'RE THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! YEEHA!" Then they're like, "Oh god. We're all dead. Oh, robot!"

Then the GotG surprises everyone and shafts the big-ass robot to the ground.

Plus, if it's just a big powerhouse team, then everything gets resolved quicker and this adds a deeper level of character development and inter-social dynamics between characters.

Oh, and Star-Lord rules. I didn't know he existed until Annihilation: Conquest (I missed out on the original), and I immediately went out and bought a Star-Lord mini-series that I found at my store, except it ended up being about that alternate future Star-Lord and nothing to do with Peter Quill.

I'm basically buying this book to keep Star-Lord out there. But I liked Conquest and I want to see where this goes.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #23
Xero

Are you guys finally going to deal with that dangling plot thread? You know the fact that Star Lord is the heir to the throne of Spartax, or at least a noble in the Spartoi Empire?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-Lord

Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #24
RockSP

Quote:

Give it time.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #25
Ironhorse

Both Annihilation events were very good, GotG will rock, I know that for sure. Totally sold. Peace.