SpudTech Archive

An archive of the now closed SpudTech forums

This archive is strictly for refrence to old information. No posts can be made here nor can you login. You may use the search only.

Last visit was: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 pm It is currently Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 pm 

BigBang & Crusader

Here is my latest cannon. I call it the Crusader. I started this project a few weeks ago after I disassembled BigBang III. This was an older cannon that I had come to believe was not built to proper safety standards. It was my first propane gun, and I hated to get rid of it – but safety first!

To soothe my misery, I decided to build another bigger, better cannon. Crusader is what I came up with. Here she is...

Crusader & Barrels

The cannon is built from double walled SCH 40 PVC – as usual. The chamber has a nominal volume of 3800 ml, depending on which barrel I’m using. I currently have three interchangable barrels; two of them are breech loading pass-through "spud" barrels made from 1.5" SCH 40 PVC. The longer of the two barrels is 5 feet long (C:B = 1.79), while the shorter is made from 3 feet (C:B = 3.0) of scrap I had in the garage. The short one is going to be a Fourth of July noise maker!!! The third barrel is a five foot long (C:B = 1.67) golfball barrel made from 1.5" SDR-21 sleaved into 2" SCH 80. I plan on building a fourth barrel from 3â€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:03 pm 

Wait... is that just a simple combustion? If so, and if your velocities are in fact true, then that is really amazing! Even though you claim to be sure of the velocities, I am still a bit unsure...

BTW, the pictures do not work when you click on them, and I do not think the videos are working (at least for me...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:28 pm 

Ugh! You found this before I got the bugs worked out. I think all the images work now. Still checking on the videos. They worked when I posted them at putfile. But they don't seem to be working for me now. I'll check. Give me a few more minutes.

And yes, this is for a "regular" combustion cannon shooting 1X MAPP. I think the chamber fan and ignition placement combined in an unexpected way to create these results.

I'm sure this will generate much discussion, but I assure you that the results are real. The data don't lie. My interest in what really goes on inside a combustion cannon is really keen now. I think there is much to be learned.

Anyway, back to working on the videos. I'm getting hungry and need a beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:48 pm 

Coming from anyone else, my BS meter would be pegged by those numbers.

Coming from you, all i can say is HOLY S**T!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:00 pm 

Very Nice, as always nece paint. That is a little scepticle, the numbers. I think many people bus map but none have ever gotten thoes speeds (correct me if I am wrong). But anyway very nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:14 pm 

$%#^$@!!!!!!!!

Not much more to say. Outstanding construction, excellent post formatting, fantastic results. You "win teh intarwebs!1" :D

quote:

Anyway, back to working on the videos. I'm getting hungry and need a beer.

Cheers! Will Busch Light do? How about an old 40 of OE? You can have em, I'm not going anywhere near em :D

While you're in there, please take the old potato salad with you. I'm not much for leftovers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:34 pm 

Well, I've fiddled with the videos for as long as I can tonight. I can't get them to show up when I click on the thumbnails. On the other hand, I can't get any videos at PutFile to launch right now. Their site may be down for a while.

I've got a busy weekend this weekend, but will check in if I can and work on the videos (if necessary) as I get a chance. I tried to keep the resolution high enough that you could read the face of the chrony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:26 am 

They work fine for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:13 am 

Holy $%&^. Idid not even know those speeds were possible with a normal combustion. To tell you the truth I thought you were lying about breaking mach 2 on one of those shots, but those videos proved me wrong. Very high quality/high def. videos.

*And yes I know the video was not of the 2000 whatever fps one that broke mach 2 although knowing that the gun is capable of 1600fps I have no doubt in breaking mach 2 with it.

Awesome gun as normal. Also I wanted to point out the very nice post organization/format.

As you could tell above the vids work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:35 am 

o_O

Holy Sunni (;))! Those are quite the insane measurements, especially with a combustion. I don't think it needs to be stated (restated) that our hats are off to you for this one! Definitely a great work of craftsmanship from you, as always.

Keep rollin em out.

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next