Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > FEATURES

Old 05-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
MattBrady

GREETING THE GUARDIANS: DRAX & GAMORA

by Vaneta Rogers

This week, fans of Marvel's cosmic characters will get a new Guardians of the Galaxy series, so we're joining with writers Andy Lanning and Dan Abnett to spotlight the characters who make up the new team of sci-fi heroes.

Last week, the creators took a closer look at the two leaders of the Guardians team: Star-Lord and the newly reborn Adam Warlock. Yesterday, the spotlight turned to the new Quasar, and today, we look at Drax and Gamora, leaving our last installment tomorrow for Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

Drax the Destroyer

- Powers:
DnA: Huge physical stregnth, durability; Extensive combat experience and weapon skills

- Homeworld:
DnA: Earth.

- Personality:
DnA: Not the most sympathetic being in the cosmos, Drax is still the dark and hardened destroyer he was created to be. However, his quest - to destroy Thanos - is over, and Drax must find a new role for himself... or become obsolete. The Guardians is his best chance of finding a purpose in life

- Brief Bio:
DnA: Drax was created from the living consciousness of sax-playing musician Arthur Douglas for one purpose: To destroy Thanos. For most of his existence, Drax was driven toward this mission, serving as a nemesis to Thanos. During Annihilation, he found Thanos and punched a hole in his chest, making Drax responsible for giving Galactus his freedom. His mission to destroy Thanos complete, he disappears for some time. But in Annihilation Conquest, he joins with Nova and Gamora to battle the Phalanx. During that story, his daughter Heather Douglas, who had become the telepathic heroine Moondragon, was killed by Ultron.

- Recommended reading to get to know this character better:
DnA:
Drax #1 - 4 (2006)
Annihilation: Nova #1 - 4 (2006)
Annihilation #1 - 6 (2006)
Nova # 4 - 12

- Last time we saw this character, he was...:
DnA: Destroying phalanx warriors

- What this character brings to the team:
DnA: Destruction.

- Something readers may not know about this character, but we think is interesting:
DnA: He hides his grief for the loss of his daughter..

- What fans of this character can look forward to in GotG:
DnA: Redemption... or damnation.

- Favorite line that's coming up for this character:
DnA: ‘ I suppose I could stab it. Would stabbing it help?.’

Gamora

- Powers:
DnA: Strength, healing factor, martial prowess: wields the deadly blade Godslayer.

- Homeworld:
DnA: Zen Whoberis.

- Personality:
DnA: Ruthless and very dangerous, Gamora is, like Drax, hoping to find a purpose in life, and a role in which her honed fighting skills can contribute for good rather than evil. There is a softer side to her, but it is buried very deep

- Brief Bio:
Orphaned when her race was destroyed, Gamora was raised by Thanos to be an assassin who would avenge the death of her homeworld. Eventually, however, Gamora saw how evil Thanos was and joined forces with other heroes against her adoptive father. Romantically linked at different times to Adam Warlock and Nova, Gamora became the powerful and deadly leader of a group of female warriors called The Graces. But after joining with the United Front to successfully battle against the Annihilation Wave, she was later assimilated as a select part of the hive mind of the Phalanx. She was later freed from the Phalanx collective by Nova.

- Recommended reading to get to know this character better:
DnA:
Annihilation #1 - 6 (2006)
Nova # 4 - 12

- Last time we saw this character, she was...:
DnA: Dismayed at her separation from the Phalanx collective.

- What this character brings to the team:
DnA: Deadly glamour and a mordant wit.

- Something readers may not know about this character, but we think is interesting:
DnA: She believes that her greatest achievement was fighting with the United Front during the Annihilation War. She wants to find a calling like that again.

- What fans of this character can look forward to in GotG:
DnA: Salvation and the chance to be thought of as more than just a killing machine.

DnA: ‘We can quit this outfit any time we like, right? We didn’t sign anything?’

Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Ironhorse

Looking forward to this comic, the team just looks kick-ass. Can't wait till tomorrow. Peace.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
POWRSURG

You know, I understand that they want a fresh start with these characters, but when you have 1/2 of the Infinity Watch, and the romantic interest of one of the recently deceased members, as part of the group it'd be nice to hear at least a nod to it.

Where is Pip in all of this? Maxam?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
mose73

The greens are great, but they saved the best for last with Rocket and Groot tomorrow.

Groot's dialogue was much better in the Star-Lord mini so he was very quotable. If quoting from Annihilation Conquest you will find only "I AM GROOT!"

Which is too but, hopefully his banter with Rocket will return in GotG when they get a little more character time than Annihilation Conquest probably allowed.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
durkadurka

Sweeeet. Comics need more stabbing these days.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
motteditor

That clubhouse line cracks me up every time I see it.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
Corpulent1

I thought Drax lost most of his super-strength after he changed from big, dumb bruiser to cunning fighter in his mini-series from a few years ago. Not that I mind his regaining super-strength; he would be great as the physical powerhouse of the team.

I'm glad that DnA are making Moondragon's death a major part of their take on Drax. Like I said in the Quasar entry, I hope he and Quasar bond over their loss at some point. That could be an interesting relationship (not a romantic one, though; that's kind of gross).

I like that they're expanding Gamora beyond just the super-badass to end all badasses, too. I hope her past with Warlock is addressed, as well.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
blehbeh

Quote:
You know, I understand that they want a fresh start with these characters, but when you have 1/2 of the Infinity Watch, and the romantic interest of one of the recently deceased members, as part of the group it'd be nice to hear at least a nod to it.

I can't wait for this book, and I'm a huge fan of these characters. But from the little we saw of them together in the Annihilation books and the preview, I'm a little worried that their past relationships and histories together won't be reflected much in their interactions.

Did we ever discover exactly how much Warlock and Drax remember from their past incarnations? All of it? Some? None? Hazy memories? You'd also think that Gamora would have trouble adjusting to the new Adam, considering how close they've been for so long. Guess we'll see.

Oh, and a year is more than enough time for Thanos to be dead. Let's fix that.

Last edited by blehbeh : 05-13-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
ubuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
DnA: ‘ I suppose I could stab it. Would stabbing it help?.’

DnA: ‘We can quit this outfit any time we like, right? We didn’t sign anything?’
I can't wait for this series, but it's lines like these that make me wonder. Sure, maybe Drax's human dna gives him sparks of his old self and can talk like that (even though I can't remember seeing in, at least, the two Annihilation mini series, but Gamora is a full fledged alien! She sounds like any human super-hero. Is that really how she's supposed to sound like? If she was in a dark room with other human females, and we could only hear them, could anyone tell them apart?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Corpulent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehbeh
Oh, and a year is more than enough time for Thanos to be dead. Let's fix that.
I don't need Thanos to be alive again, but I would certainly love to see him again. Let's see what his status quo as Death's companion really entails. All we've gotten so far is a panel of them standing together.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
RockSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWRSURG

Where is Pip in all of this? Maxam?

Those two definitely need to show up at some point in the series.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
durkadurka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuking
I can't wait for this series, but it's lines like these that make me wonder. Sure, maybe Drax's human dna gives him sparks of his old self and can talk like that (even though I can't remember seeing in, at least, the two Annihilation mini series, but Gamora is a full fledged alien! She sounds like any human super-hero. Is that really how she's supposed to sound like? If she was in a dark room with other human females, and we could only hear them, could anyone tell them apart?
Yes, Gamora would be the one strangling you for nitpicking.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Corpulent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkadurka
Heh, really. I'm actually glad she talks the way she does. Assuming English isn't magically the official language of the Zen Whoberians, Gamora must've picked English up as a second language from those around her. Why would she speak English any differently from all the other modern English speakers she knows?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
jsf

Lordy I love Drax. Stabbing indeed.

So far as Pip goes ... leave him out of this group. I kind of like the shape of the group as is. Wouldn't mind seeing him again ... but only as a guest appearance ... and only AFTER we've seen Cammi again.

And leave Thanos as the consort of death. He's one of my all-time favorite characters -- especially since his own series -- and I like the evolution of his character with the first Annihilation series. It'd be a regression to have him come back to life just to play the uber-bad guy again.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
ubuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkadurka
HAHAHAHA!
But really, I wasn't commenting on her knowledge of the English language, but on expressions such as "signing up" for something. I know the character from the Annihilation books, and she doesn't seem the kind of woman who would care even if she did "sign" something. It may sound like I was nitpicking, but it seemed to me like it was a bit out of character.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
Corpulent1

I guess you could chalk it up to her feeling a bit lost after losing her sense of purpose as a Select. She's not quite her old, uber-confident self anymore.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
durkadurka

Quote:
HAHAHAHA!
But really, I wasn't commenting on her knowledge of the English language, but on expressions such as "signing up" for something. I know the character from the Annihilation books, and she doesn't seem the kind of woman who would care even if she did "sign" something. It may sound like I was nitpicking, but it seemed to me like it was a bit out of character.
Well you know she and Nova had a thing during Annihilation. It was probably a loud thing too. She could've picked up a lot from there. Plus if you're going to suspend your disbelief about her talking English, why not accept a certain vernacular? I mean, i doubt there's an English professor teaching her proper grammar and syntax.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
ubuking

Man, some people took what I said like I was expecting the writers to write her speaking only Whoberisian...

Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
ryanrhome

Quote:

Also, she spent a long time on Earth when she and Drax were part of the Infinity Watch. At the time, they were in the company of Pip, who was the personification of constant crude vernacular.

As for Drax, he had recently spent a long time with Cammi, an extremely outspoken Earth girl. They also constantly interact with Earthers...I think this is enough to pick up the vernacular. Plus, who is to say that what we think of as flippant earth vernacular isn't just a reflection of sentience and not something unique to Earth? The Kree are very militaristic in their speech, but they didn't have to learn it from the US Army.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #20
ljacone

Very much looking forward to this series. The "Anihilation" stories have been the high point of Marvel Comics since 2006. I hope we get to see some more of Ronan, who is a personal favorite.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
Somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose73
The greens are great, but they saved the best for last with Rocket and Groot tomorrow.

Groot's dialogue was much better in the Star-Lord mini so he was very quotable. If quoting from Annihilation Conquest you will find only "I AM GROOT!"

Which is too but, hopefully his banter with Rocket will return in GotG when they get a little more character time than Annihilation Conquest probably allowed.
Does Groot count? DnA have called him, Mantis & Cosmo "supporting cast" rather than actual members...

Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
Cicero

Doesn't Mantis have green skin?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #23
Corpulent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
Does Groot count? DnA have called him, Mantis & Cosmo "supporting cast" rather than actual members...
Argh, what about Bug?! I loves me some Bug.

Mantis and Cosmo definitely seem suited to supporters rather than active participants. Mantis has a lot of recovering to do. Same with Groot, I imagine, although I'm sure he'll be back on the field team when he's able. Cosmo pretty much runs Knowhere, so he's got roots there that he can't just leave behind whenever the Guardians go on a mission.

Last edited by Corpulent1 : 05-13-2008 at 05:41 PM.