Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > FEATURES

Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
MattBrady

GREETING THE GUARDIANS: ROCKET RACCOON, GROOT

by Vaneta Rogers

The first issue of Marvel's new ongoing sci-fi series Guardians of the Galaxy comes out today, so it's time for our last character spotlight of the team's cosmic heroes.

Over the course of the last week, we've talked to series writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning about the characters who will make up the team for the comic, which spins out of their Annihilation: Conquest mini-series that finished up last month.

Last week, we started by taking a closer look at team leaders Star-Lord and the newly reborn Adam Warlock. So far this week, we've turned the spotlight toward the new Quasar, Drax and Gamora. Today, we finish up with fan-favorite characters Rocket Raccoon and Groot, with Abnett and Lanning answering the call with their customary moniker "DnA" when they answer a question together.

Rocket Raccoon

- Powers:
DnA: Tactical genius, demolitions expert

- Homeworld:
DnA: Keystone Quadrant.

- Personality:
DnA: Fearless, loyal (especially to Peter Quill and Groot), insightful. Tendency to say whatever he’s thinking without self-editing.

- Brief Bio: Rocket Raccoon is from a world that was once a colony for the mentally ill. The insane inmates were taken care of by robots, but at some point, these caretakers decided to genetically alter the animals on the colony to replace them as caretakers. Rocket Raccoon is one of those genetically manipulated animals. After adventures on his homeworld with a visiting Hulk, Rocket Raccoon later became a space traveler. In Annihilation: Conquest, it was revealed that he had formed a rapport with Groot, and the two of them were an instrumental part of the force that worked to defeat the Phalanx in Annihilation: Conquest.

- Recommended reading to get to know this character better:
DnA:
Annihilation Conquest: Star-Lord #1 - 4
Annihilation:Conquest #1 - 6

- Last time we saw this character, he was...:
DnA: Taking cuttings to help regrow Groot.

- What this character brings to the team:
DnA: Bombs, smarts and one-liners.

- Something readers may not know about this character, but we think is interesting:
DnA: Talking dogs alarm him.

- What fans of this character can look forward to in GotG:
DnA: It’s Rocket Raccoon - what’s not to look forward to?.

- Favorite line that's coming up for this character:
DnA: ‘Jeez louise...that ain’t from round here!’

Groot

- Powers:
DnA: Groot can absorb wood to feed, to rebuild himself (which also requires water) and to enhance his strength. He can also control trees, using them to attack others.

- Homeworld:
DnA: Planet X.

- Personality:
DnA: He is Groot.

- Brief Bio: Groot originally appeared on Earth as a monstrous alien who sought to capture humans for study, but he was defeated when a scientist released a specially bred colony of termites. He reappeared in the Marvel Universe, spending time on Monster Isle and later serving as a member of the Howling Commandos. He eventually returned to space, where he befriended Rocket Raccoon and fought beside he and Star-Lord to defeat the Phalanx, even sacrificing himself to save others. In fact, his self-sacrifice was his last act in Annihilation: Conquest, although a cutting of Groot was kept by Rocket Raccoon, and it has been revealed that Groot can re-grow himself from a sprig of his former body.

- Recommended reading to get to know this character better:
DnA:
Annihilation Conquest: Star-Lord #1 - 4
Annihilation:Conquest #1 - 6

- Last time we saw this character, he was...:
DnA: Saving his team mates, but perishing in the attempt.

- What this character brings to the team:
DnA: Groot-ness.

- Something readers may not know about this character, but we think is interesting:
DnA: Back home on Planet X, he was Monarch.

- What fans of this character can look forward to in GotG:
DnA: Groot, big, regrown and back on form.

- Favorite line that's coming up for this character:
DnA: ‘I am Groot!’

Old 05-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Lot 49

DnA + Pelletier = Awesome

Old 05-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
durkadurka

I had no idea Groot was an old character. That makes what was done in Annihilation and Conquest all the better.
This series is going to be good. Really good.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkadurka
I had no idea Groot was an old character. That makes what was done in Annihilation and Conquest all the better.
Tales to Astonish #13 cover, from 1960

Last edited by Somebody : 05-14-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
monsterZERO

I can't wait to pick this up later today!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
KaijubotX

I remember one of the first comics I picked up in the 70's was an Incredible Hulk annual where he fought some of the old Marvel Monsters. Groot was one of them, always remembered him since then. I also have the Hulk issues with Rocket and the mini-series that was later done, drawn by Mike Mignola. Good stuff. Remembering that, I'd love to see these two meet the Hulk again.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
durkadurka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
Hot diggity daffodil!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
dlfurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lot 49

Quoted for truth!

I eagerly look forward to Marvel's cosmic now.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
RogueSmurf6

So what happens to Bug and Mantis?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
VocalMan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSmurf6
So what happens to Bug and Mantis?
Good question. Maybe Mantis is still in a coma and Bug's looking after her?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Darkfung

Well I suppose it needed it's redundant comedy characters to bring in the kiddies

Old 05-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
VocalMan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfung
Well I suppose it needed it's redundant comedy characters to bring in the kiddies
So how is that a bad thing? Besides, they're much more useful than just comic relief.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
BanMan

Quote:

I wonder what's happening at midnight?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
civilwar vet

when was groot a howling commando? That sounds crazy.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
Snikkas

Sorry, but recommended reading for Rocket Raccoon is Rocket Raccoon # 1-4 by Mantlo and Mignola (very early Mignola)

I loved this LS as a kid and it's one of the few comics I've kept because of my pure enjoyment of it.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
Salieri

Quote:
I love that the little blonde guy is just screaming "I'll Get You! Wait Until Midnight!" as he runs out of the frame.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
Mk.III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfung

Redundant? Groot was the one that destroyed the phalanx spire and saved the galaxy! Also if you're in no way tickled by a raccoon/tree team then I fear for you.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
Darthphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanMan
I wonder what's happening at midnight?

His bedtime.

" I was going to beat you Groot, but it's time for my glass of Ovaltine!"

Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #19
LikeaPhoenix

Cool Uh Huh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lot 49

Let me reiterate that...
Can anyone confirm whether or not DnA is leaving Marvel for DC's Wildstorm?? Found out from another post that they're working on the Authority.

Last edited by LikeaPhoenix : 05-14-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #20
Lot 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeaPhoenix
Let me reiterate that...
Can anyone confirm whether or not DnA is leaving Marvel for DC's Wildstorm?? Found out from another post that they're working on the Authority.

If there's no exclusivity announcement, I would assume that they aren't leaving...

Old 05-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #21
durkadurka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere
His bedtime.

" I was going to beat you Groot, but it's time for my glass of Ovaltine!"
They should call it "Roundtine"...

Old 05-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #22
TCJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilwar vet
when was groot a howling commando? That sounds crazy.

Keith Giffen did a mini-series called the Howling Commandos about 4 years ago. It was shield recruiting a lot of monster characters (Lilith, Draculas Daughter; a half vampire, half werewolf; a mummy; a zombie; Gorilla-man; the clone of Frankenstein's Monster; fin fan foom...).

I like Giffen, but it was one of the worse things I have ever read mostly do the art.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #23
Mrfixit1

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkadurka
They should call it "Roundtine"...

That's GOLD, Jerry! GOLD!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #24
Kevin Street

Sempiterna Rocket Raccoon Est!

Rocket Raccoon is the second greatest Marvel character ever created (after J. Jonah Jameson) and I'm very glad that he is appearing in this comic. That is all.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #25
Corpulent1

Very excited for GotG, but I hope DnA can spruce up Groot's dialogue a bit. Giffen showed that he clearly knew how to say more than just "I am Groot!" in the Star-Lord mini-series, so how about we see some of that vocabulary again? Groot was one of my big disappointments in the Conquest mini itself. I was looking for more stuff like "Groot is diminished, but no less Groot!" not just a Pokemon-like mantra of his name.

Last edited by Corpulent1 : 05-14-2008 at 05:39 PM.