Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > FEATURES

Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
MattBrady

GREETING THE GUARDIANS: QUASAR

by Vaneta Rogers

This week marks the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy, the new ongoing sci-fi series from Marvel, so we're putting the spotlight on another of the characters who make up this new team of cosmic heroes.

We asked series writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning to spotlight Star-Lord, and then Adam Warlock. Today, the creators take a closer look at the new Quasar, who becomes part of the team of fan-favorite cosmic characters along with Drax, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon and the '60s Kirby monster known as Groot.

Quasar: Phyla-Vell

- Powers:
DnA: The legacy of the Mar-Vell family. The transcendant energy-manipulating power of the Quantum Bands.

- Homeworld:
DnA: Titan.

- Personality:
DnA: Hardened by her experiences during the Annihilation events, especially the loss of her lover, Moondragon, Quasar is determined to prove herself as a first division cosmic hero. She is loyal and sympathetic, but plagued with self-doubts about her abilities.

- Brief Bio:
Phyla-Vell is the daughter of Elysius, the genetically engineered woman beloved by the late Mar-Vell (Captain Marvel). She was created by Elysius from Mar-Vell's DNA and for a time, Phyla wore the name Captain Marvel. When Phyla's romantic interest, Moondragon, was recently kidnapped by Thanos, Phyla pursued him into the Annihilation Wave and joined with Nova and Star-Lord to battle Annihilus, from whom she took the quantum bands she now wears. During Annihilation Conquest, she wore the name Quasar and joined in the struggle against the Phalanx and Ultron. Quasar was the one who dealt the final death blow to Ultron after he killed Moondragon.

- Recommended reading to get to know this character better:
DnA:
Annihilation #1 - 6 (2006)
Annihilation Conquest: Prologue #1
Annihilation Conquest: Quasar #1 - 4 and Annihilation:Conquest #1 - 6

- Last time we saw this character, she was...:
DnA: Cutting Ultron down to size.

- What this character brings to the team:
DnA: Serious cosmic power and a generosity of spirit.

- Something readers may not know about this character, but we think is interesting:
DnA: She’s still in love.

- What fans of this character can look forward to in GotG:
DnA: A hero coming into their own.

- Favorite line that's coming up for this character:
DnA: ‘Anybody got a sensible answer? Drax just went all existential on me.’

Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Sims

Having read a preview copy of the first issue, I can honestly say that this new series will rock! Guardians of the Galaxy is a great companion to Nova, and I love what Marvel is doing with their cosmic comics right now!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Dallas Bar

Having recently been smitten by the three Annihilation trades and the Nova trade I can honestly say this looks great!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
mymeridon

Love Guardians of Galaxy...Cannot stand new Quasar

Love this new incarnation (Go Rocket Racoon Go!), but there has to be something done about the new Quasar. Cannot stand this "Joan of Arc" vision.

Either develop her more or give the quantum bands to someone else.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Ace

She's such a weird character to me, because she was created to be sort of a pun by PAD. I wonder if he ever thought she'd take root and be focused upon more than Genis.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
PyroTwilight

I'll take a look but I think the Sci-Fi cosmic wars are getting a bit tiring. There's only so many planets that can be destroyed in a space war(s). Oh well, I liked the old Quasar so here's hoping Phyla keeps holding up well.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Stormbreaker

I adore everything Cosmic Marvel's done since Annihilation. They're by far my favorite books out right now, and I'm totally stoked about Guardians. As for Phyla, I like her quite a bit and am excited to see how she continues to develop and grow into her role as Quasar.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
motteditor

Really looking forward to GotG (even if I still wish we were getting any future Guardian besides Stakar). I've loved what DnA have done with Nova so far, but I tend to like team books far, far more than solo titles, so I'm expecting to enjoy this even more. My only possible problem is I'm getting my expectations WAY too high.

Wonder if we'll see Phy (and the other Guardians) deal at all with Capt. Phayk-Vell. I'd think she'd have some serious, serious issues with that.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
TheWotch

I've been meaning to read the recent sci-fi events Marvel's been doing. Everyone is really positive about them. I checked out a few issues of Quasar's mini, but didn't read it all (not because I wasn't liking it, but just 'cause it kinda fell off the radar). Still, she is pretty cool.

Would GotG be good to jump in on, or should one read read the Annialiation sagas first?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Doc_doom79

Phyla is ok.

But I miss Wendell Vaughn.

I actually have a great way to bring him back.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
motteditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWotch
Would GotG be good to jump in on, or should one read read the Annialiation sagas first?

My guess is it's an absolutely fine place to jump on. All you really need to know is there've been two interstellar wars/disasters and this band of survivors have decided to join together to prevent a third. We saw the group start to form in the very last pages of Annihilation: Conquest.

That said, I thiought both Annihilations were very well done, and if you've got some spare cash, you could certainly do worse than getting them in trade.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
KingStalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
- Brief Bio:
Phyla-Vell is the daughter of Elysius, the genetically engineered woman beloved by the late Mar-Vell (Captain Marvel). She was created by Elysius from Mar-Vell's DNA and for a time, Phyla wore the name Captain Marvel. When Phyla's romantic interest, Moondragon, was recently kidnapped by Thanos, Phyla pursued him into the Annihilation Wave and joined with Nova and Star-Lord to battle Annihilus, from whom she took the quantum bands she now wears. During Annihilation Conquest, she wore the name Quasar and joined in the struggle against the Phalanx and Ultron. Quasar was the one who dealt the final death blow to Ultron after he killed Moondragon.

Technically she was created by Genis when he recreated the universe. However her situation was similar to Dawn's on Buffy that everyone treated her like she always existed.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
tfitz

TheWotch, I couldn't agree more with motteditor's answer to your question.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
Corpulent1

I can't stress enough how much I hate Phyla's new personality. Back when she first showed up in Genis' comic, she kicked ass. She was smart, sassy, a bona fide powerhouse, and easily a more suitable candidate for the Captain Marvel legacy than crazy Genis. In short, she was everything Genis was not at the time, and it worked well for her.

Since getting the quantum bands, outside of helping Nova out at the end of Annihilation, she's basically alternated between whining about her inadequacies and fawning over Moondragon with some of the cheesiest dialogue I've seen this side of daytime soaps. It pains me to see her fall so far from her genuinely promising beginnings. I can't say I was ever overly attached to Wendell, but I'd much rather get him back if Phyla is going to continue to be characterized as god-awfully as she has been for the last year. I really liked the visual of Wendell as a quantum energy construct, too.

The Annihilation stuff has featured a lot of rebirths--Thanos, Drax, Adam Warlock, Moondragon. Phyla's is the first one I'm completely unhappy with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motteditor
Wonder if we'll see Phy (and the other Guardians) deal at all with Capt. Phayk-Vell. I'd think she'd have some serious, serious issues with that.
I think she would too, but I doubt she'll ever even learn about him. I know the Guardians are supposed to have a Secret Invasion crossover, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of Phyla/Skrull-Vell meeting. There's a pretty clear separation between Marvel cosmic and Marvel proper right now, and only Nova seems able to straddle that line. As far as the writers handling Captain Skrullvel are concerned, it seems like Hulkling was the only one of his kids worth mentioning.

Last edited by Corpulent1 : 05-12-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
-Armando523-

very coool

Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
von Doom, M.D.

I like all the team except for her. Wendell is, and will always be, Quasar, and I don't care if Joe Quesada didn't like him. He was a good character. At least he had a good death scene...

Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #17
MKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
- Something readers may not know about this character, but we think is interesting:
DnA: She’s still in love.
Aww I think it's a good idea to have this time to get to know Phy as Quasar 'solo' - yes, she's on a team, but in personal terms - but c'mon, Heather's out there somewhere. I wouldn't want to see it turn up too soon, or dominate whatever other storylines GotG kicks off with, but I'm really hoping that - a few years down the track, perhaps - we get The Search for Moondragon (a la Spock) as a big, epic space-opera-type quest.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #18
Corpulent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Doom, M.D.
I like all the team except for her. Wendell is, and will always be, Quasar, and I don't care if Joe Quesada didn't like him. He was a good character. At least he had a good death scene...
I still don't understand Joe Q's problem with him. As I recall, Joe Q pointed to the fact that he flunked out of SHIELD training because he lacked a killer instinct. Um... so what? Your biggest, top-selling, flagship character--who just so happens to serve as your company mascot, no less--is a guy who dresses up like a spider and completely lacks a killer instinct, too.

Last edited by Corpulent1 : 05-12-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #19
Uncle Jawa

Been enjoying all of these Guardians spotlights.

I have to admit, Phyla is my least favorite member of the team, but I am looking forward to her being a part of it, nonetheless. Personally, I think a neat twist would be to have her fall in love with Adam Warlock. It would be very unexpected, I think.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #20
Stormbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jawa
... Personally, I think a neat twist would be to have her fall in love with Adam Warlock. It would be very unexpected, I think.

But she's homosexual (unless Moondragon had a little secret...besides being able to turn into a giant dragon), so how would that work? Hopefully not like Chasing Amy (lesbian falls for Ben Affleck and "turns" heterosexual as if it's a choice [that debate can be done elsewhere], and yeah, that movie was as bad as it sounds). It just seems like it would be a bash against homosexuals if that happened. That could just be me, though.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #21
TheWotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by motteditor
My guess is it's an absolutely fine place to jump on. All you really need to know is there've been two interstellar wars/disasters and this band of survivors have decided to join together to prevent a third. We saw the group start to form in the very last pages of Annihilation: Conquest.

That said, I thiought both Annihilations were very well done, and if you've got some spare cash, you could certainly do worse than getting them in trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfitz
TheWotch, I couldn't agree more with motteditor's answer to your question.

Thanks. If I find a week where I'm looking for a trade to buy, I'll look for these. What are they, two trades each event?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #22
Corpulent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbreaker
But she's homosexual (unless Moondragon had a little secret...besides being able to turn into a giant dragon), so how would that work? Hopefully not like Chasing Amy (lesbian falls for Ben Affleck and "turns" heterosexual as if it's a choice [that debate can be done elsewhere], and yeah, that movie was as bad as it sounds). It just seems like it would be a bash against homosexuals if that happened. That could just be me, though.
To be fair, we've only ever seen Phyla with Moondragon. She could be bisexual.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
StripedTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpulent1
I still don't understand Joe Q's problem with him. As I recall, Joe Q pointed to the fact that he flunked out of SHIELD training because he lacked a killer instinct. Um... so what? Your biggest, top-selling, flagship character--who just so happens to serve as your company mascot, no less--is a guy who dresses up like a spider and completely lacks a killer instinct, too.

Remember, they are Joe's personal toys and we should all feel honored just to have the right to give our money to him on a monthly basis... If you question it you're probably not the target audience anyway since everyone knows comic income comes primarily from 11 year olds and not grown fans with jobs.

Last edited by StripedTiger : 05-12-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #24
Stormbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpulent1
To be fair, we've only ever seen Phyla with Moondragon. She could be bisexual.

I can concede that possibility. For curiosity's sake, does anyone know of a pre-Annihilation moment involving Phyla that could support her potential bisexuality?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #25
Corpulent1

I can't recall any. It was hinted a few times after her introduction in Genis' series that she was homosexual, but I can't remember any hints of her being attracted to men. Granted, it's been like 5 years since I read anything from that series.