1. Q: When does the toll increase at Port Authority tunnels and bridges take effect?
A: The toll increase is effective at 3 a.m., Sunday, March 2, 2008.
2. Q: Which tunnels and bridges are operated by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey? Do all of these crossings have new toll rates?
A: The Port Authority operates and maintains the George Washington Bridge, the Lincoln Tunnel, the Holland Tunnel, the Goethals Bridge, the Outerbridge Crossing and the Bayonne Bridge. New toll rates apply at all of these crossings.
3. Q: What are the peak and off-peak travel times?
A: The peak periods are 6 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, and noon to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and, Sundays. All other times are off-peak.
4. Q: What is the toll for passenger vehicles?
- The cash toll is $8 for passenger vehicles.
- The toll for passenger vehicles using E-ZPass is $6 for off-peak travel and $8 in peak hours, providing a greater discount for off-peak use.
- Qualified low-emission vehicles are eligible to receive a Port Authority (PA) Green Pass discount of $4 during off-peak hours. Click here for more info on the Green Pass.
- The Port Authority's Carpool Plan toll is $2. This plan provides a discount for non-commercial vehicles with three or more occupants. Customers with pre-registered E-ZPass accounts can take advantage of this discount plan at all hours by using a staffed “E-ZPass/Cash” lane and coming to a complete stop so the toll collector can confirm the number of occupants in the vehicle. To enroll in the Carpool Plan, please call or visit either the New York or New Jersey E-ZPass Customer Service Center. Click here for contact information.
5. Q: What is toll for trucks and buses?
- The toll for trucks using E-ZPass on Port Authority's tunnels and bridges is $7 per axle for off-peak travel, and $8 per axle in peak hours.
- Trucks that use E-ZPass and have the flexibility to travel during weekday overnight hours will continue to enjoy a deep discount. The E-ZPass weekday overnight toll for trucks is $5.50 per axle.
- The cash toll for trucks is $8 per axle at all times.
- The cash toll for buses is $ 6. The E-ZPass toll for buses is $4.00
6. Q: Are there any discount plans for frequent users of the Port Authority's tunnels and bridges?
A: Yes. The Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan has been maintained for frequent users of the Port Authority's three Staten Island Bridges. The per trip cost under this plan is now $4.00. The Staten Island Bridges Plan costs $80 for 20 trips to be used in a 35-day period at the Goethals Bridge, Outerbridge Crossing and Bayonne Bridge. The plan is available to all E-ZPass customers who enroll in the program and have non-commercial plates. Unused trips will be billed to the customer's E-ZPass account. To enroll in the Staten Island Bridges Plan, please call or visit either the New York or New Jersey E-ZPass Customer Service Center. Click here for contact information.
7. Q: I am currently a cash customer and I would like to sign up for E-ZPass so that I can take advantage of the toll discounts? How do I sign up for E-ZPass?
A: You may sign up for E-ZPass online, or in-person at either the New York or New Jersey Customer Service Center. See contact information below:
E-ZPass New York Customer Service Center
Web site: e-zpassny.com
Address: 1150 South Avenue
Staten Island, New York 10314
New Jersey E-ZPass Customer Service Center
Web site: www.ezpassnj.com
Address: 375 McCarter Highway (Route 21)
Newark, New Jersey 07114.
8. Q: What is the new PA Green Pass discount?
A: The new PA Green Pass Discount Plan offers a special $4.00 toll rate during off-peak hours to low-emission vehicles that get at least 45 miles to the gallon and meet the California Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) or pre-model year 2005 hybrid vehicles certified to the California Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV). Currently eligible vehicles are:
- Honda Insight (2000 to 2004 models)
- Honda Civic (2003 to 2008 models)
- Toyota Prius (2001 to 2008 models)
9. Q: Is the Port Authority Green Pass valid everywhere E-ZPass is accepted?
A: The Port Authority Green Pass is an E-ZPass that may be used at any crossing or road that accepts E-ZPass as a form of toll payment. However, unlike the white "regular" E-ZPass tag, Port Authority Green Pass users pay only $4 when they use their tag at Port Authority crossings during off-peak hours. The Port Authority Green Pass is accepted at all crossings and roads that accept E-ZPass, however, the Port Authority Green Pass discount only applies to Port Authority crossings.
10. Q: How do I sign up for the new PA Green Pass Discount Plan?
A: Port Authority E-ZPass account holders who drive qualifying vehicles can request that the Green Pass Discount Plan be added to their account. Customers must submit a copy of their motor vehicle registration for the qualifying vehicle. After confirming the vehicle’s eligibility, the E-ZPass NY Customer Service Center will issue a green-colored E-ZPass tag for use only in the qualifying vehicle. The Port Authority will begin accepting requests for the Green Pass Discount plan on March 2, 2008. To request the Green Pass Discount, please send a letter and include a copy of the registration to the E-ZPass New York Customer Service Center, P.O. Box 149004, Staten Island, New York 10314-9004 or visit a walk-in center to supply the needed information. Please note that tags will not be issued on the spot, as verification of vehicle eligibility is required.
11. Q:May I continue to use my Port Authority Scrip Tickets and/or Universal Tickets?
Port Authority Scrip Tickets and Universal Tickets are good until used. However, customers may redeem their Scrip Tickets and Universal Tickets for a refund of their actual value (as a reminder, the value of these tickets is 10 percent less than their face value. For example: a ticket with a $4 face value has a $3.60 actual value.)
Please mail your Scrip Tickets and/or Universal Tickets, along with your name, mailing address, and telephone number to:
The Port Authority of NY & NJ
One Madison Avenue - 5th Floor
New York, NY 10010
Attn: Linda Kochenburger