|downloads | documentation | HowTo | reporting bugs | links | Recent Changes|
What is a Wiki?
If you don't know how to use a wiki see the WikiHowto
ErfurtWiki is maintained by a loosely knit group of developers.
Please submit website bugs in the BugReports
Please file any wishes on UserSuggestions.
I finally tracked down the source of the problems and eliminated it as well as improving security a little bit. If at any time you suspect the site has been hacked or any other problems for that matter please email xsecrets»knoppmythwiki and I will look into it.
Due to all the recent spam in the wiki I have turned the captua back on to see if that slows it down any. I am aware that the picture doesn't show up in IE, I'm afraid at this point that's just something we'll have to live with. It works fine in Mozilla, and there is a riddle to get the code if you have to use IE.
Any user can freely contribute to the Knoppmyth community. If you'd like to contribute, start by clicking on EditThisPage at the bottom of any page (also see the sidebar to the left).
What is KnoppMyth?
Knoppmyth is a Linux distribution dedicated to the purpose of making it as simple as possible to set up a multimedia server based on MythTV, and providing DVR, video jukebox, and music player functions, along with many others. KnoppMyth comes as an ISO image which can be burned onto a CD-ROM, and then be used either to install and automatically setup a combined front/back end server, or as a Live CD "front end" which can be used without installation to access an existing MythTV "back end" server.
Ultimately Knoppmyth is used to create a HTPC (home theatre PC). These HTPCs are commonly plugged into televisions rather than monitors for a true Home Theatre experience. HTPCs bring the power of the PC to the lounge.
Where did Knoppmyth come from?
Knoppmyth started as an adaptation of the Knoppix linux distribution which is dedicated to, and built specifically around, MythTv. Knoppix itself is an adaptation of the Debian linux distribution, Knoppmyth therefore is another project that has spiralled off into its own domain. These days it would be more correct to call KnoppMyth a specialized and heavily customized debian derivative, as there's very little Knoppix left.
None of this would be possible without the whole philosophy of Linux which states that all programming code must be 'open-source'. This enables a worldwide programming community to add to, amend, adapt and forever improve Linux based software. Knowledge is pooled.
MythTV (and KnoppMyth) provides home theatre functions such as the ability to:
These features come from the various plugins that have been made for mythtv (mythplugins).
What Do You Need To Use Knoppmyth
To create a Knoppmyth HTPC, you will need to have a PC, with compatible hardware, and a KnoppMyth CD-ROM.
The current released version of KnoppMyth is R5.5. As always, please read the installation directions and release notes before installing or upgrading. If you encounter any problems please search this wiki and the KnoppMyth forums at http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/index.php for any special tweaks needed to match your preferences and system setup. For all modern releases there should be a version specific sticky posting (e.g. "R5.5 Hints") under the "Hints & Tips" topic on the forums which is intended as a central reference.
Places to Start
If you are new to Linux then you will need to get to grips with the basics first of all. Read this first before you are scared away by how daunting Linux first appears LinuxTips.
Also have a look at the WikiHowto to get started.
The purpose of any wiki is to allow users to contribute what they have learned. You can freely edit all pages by using the controls at the bottom of each page. This site runs ErfurtWiki (which is a so called WikiWikiWeb engine). So, have fun and post any information you feel is relevant, but please be polite. Since Knoppmyth has included many releases, please include the version where relevant, such as R5A12DvdRipping. Also, if you follow the instructions on a particular page with your own setup, make a note if the instructions did/did not work and under what conditions.
<rewritten by Nick Parkinson, whilst bored and unemployed, on 25/10/2005 >
UpdatedPages· WhatVideoCardDriverYouUse last changed on Sat Mar 7 12:04:34 2009
· MythVodkaHuluFixR6 last changed on Fri Mar 6 23:45:07 2009
· KnoppMyth_Releases last changed on Thu Mar 5 04:18:56 2009
· DtenSerialControlScriptTwo last changed on Wed Mar 4 06:59:51 2009
· DtenSerialControlScript last changed on Tue Mar 3 21:42:06 2009
· WhatRemoteYouUse last changed on Sun Mar 1 16:30:43 2009
· WhatMoboYouUse last changed on Sat Feb 28 21:54:55 2009
· WhatCardYouUse last changed on Sat Feb 28 21:52:11 2009
· R5.5/R6.x Differences Table and Equivalent Commands last changed on Fri Feb 27 18:40:04 2009
· MythXM last changed on Wed Feb 25 18:03:59 2009
· R6 Shortcut Menu last changed on Wed Feb 25 02:26:25 2009
· HardwareAcceleratedVideo last changed on Tue Feb 24 21:51:07 2009
· LeaktekWinfastTV2000XPdlx last changed on Tue Feb 24 14:28:38 2009
· GoodStyle last changed on Mon Feb 23 02:02:53 2009
· MythVodkaHowTo last changed on Sun Feb 22 03:51:31 2009
· MythStreamInstall last changed on Sat Feb 21 16:23:45 2009
· HVR950HowTo last changed on Thu Feb 12 16:06:39 2009
· DisklessFrontendDifferentChipset last changed on Sun Feb 8 13:43:34 2009
· HowTo last changed on Sun Feb 8 13:29:11 2009
· ASUS M2NPV-VM last changed on Fri Feb 6 15:05:30 2009
· TurnKnoppMythIntoAFullyFeaturedDistro last changed on Tue Feb 3 13:41:19 2009
· KnoppMythWiki last changed on Mon Feb 2 19:40:57 2009
· XModLines last changed on Wed Jan 21 22:37:31 2009
· Conceptual Overview last changed on Wed Jan 21 22:27:45 2009
· VolumeLeveling last changed on Wed Jan 14 18:58:53 2009
· X10 Home Automation Howto last changed on Mon Jan 5 13:21:19 2009