Home | Events | Location | Education | Shop | Vehicles | Weapons
Please note that the weapons listed are not on display at the Museum
One of the best known pistols in the world, this Luger fires the 9 mm parabellum cartridge which is the most widely used sub-machine gun and pistol cartridge in the world. This pistol was adopted by the German Army in 1908 and remained their standard pistol until 1938. There are at least thirty five different variations of the Luger in existence, including numerous variations of this basic P'08 which were used by the German Army. The Luger was first adopted as a service pistol by Switzerland in 1900, that particular model being chambered for the bottle-necked 7.65 mm Luger cartridge.
The Model 27 was made in the largest quantity of all the pre-World War 2 Czech automatic pistols. It was extensively used by the Germans, who called it the Pistol 27(t). During World War 2, this weapon was made by Bohmische Waffenfabrik AG in Prague, but had German inspection markings. Manufacture of this pistol with certain modifications was continued by Czechoslovakia after the war.
Made in calibre 6.35 mm, 7.65 mm and 9 mm, these pocket pistols, produced by the Deutsche Werke Arms Factory at Erfurt, were very popular in North, Central and South America.
These German Luger pistols were manufactured by 'Deutsche Waffen und Munitions Fabriken' (DWM) in 1917. They are the 1908 long barrelled pattern, having a barrel 8 inches in length and a tangent sight, which were frequently issued with a 32nd 'snail' magazine. The pistols first made their appearance towards the end of World War 1 and are made of P'08 components with the exception of the barrel and sights. This pistol is no longer a standard pistol in any country because it is prone to stoppages when mud or sand gets into the action. A calibre .22 inch version has, however, been produced by 'ERMA' in West Germany.
A government model developed from Browning design. It is a much more reliable pistol than the Luger under muddy or sandy conditions, due to the fact that it does not have so much of its working mechanism exposed. The United States adopted this pistol in 1911 and most of the production was by Colt, but Springfield Armory was tooled up to produce it prior to 1914. When the United States entered World War 1 they had 55,553 of these pistols on hand. During this war it was produced by Colt and Remington Arms and eight other contracted firms. Springfield turned over to producing M1903 rifles.
This is the same as Weapon No 224 having a 4 inch barrel. This model was manufactured in 1940 and does not bear the DWM monogram, so it may well have been made elsewhere.
Earlier versions of these pistols were originally chambered for the Glisenti cartridge which is a higher powered cartridge than the one used with this Corto Beretta. This is a finely made weapon and was very popular with the Italian Army in World War 2, as well as with US troops who managed to acquire them in one way or another. Specimens marked 'RE' (Regio Esercito) or 'Royal Army' were Italian Army issue. Some were marked 'PS', which means Police or Carabinieri issue.
A German pistol produced by Waffenfabrik Mauser AG Oberndorf AN, is a pocket size version of the Mauser 7.65 mm Model 1910. This pistol is one of the best made and finished pistols ever produced. It is accurate and effective within the limits of its cartridge at much greater ranges than any other pistol of this calibre.
A French pistol manufactured by Manufacture Francaise d'Armes et Cycles de St Etienne. It is the original civil version of the 'Le Francais' and was in use prior to 1928. It is basically a blowback operated pistol with a difference. When the slide recoils it carries out the operations of extraction, ejection and reloading, but it does not recock the weapon. A long pull on the trigger is necessary to cock and fire the pistol. This model is known as the 'Staff Officer'.
Known as the Model 1916, this was in fact the 1912 Mauser, chambered and altered to accommodate the 9 mm Luger Service cartridge, the original calibre having been 7.63 mm. Mechanically and in appearance, the 7.63 mm and the 9 mm are the same. As a quick means of identification, the Model 1916 has the figure '9' carved or painted on the grips. This was issued during World War 2 and was equipped with a shoulder stock which also served as a holster. This was also produced by 'Waffenfabrik Mauser AG Oberndorf'.
In 1934 a new 8 mm pistol was introduced in Japan. This weapon was apparently intended principally for export sale, but was used as a service pistol during World War 2. This pistol is mainly distinguished by having an externally mounted extension bar sear. This renders the pistol most dangerous because this sear bar can be operated by very light hand pressure. Most of these pistols are of poor quality manufacture.
This English automatic (self-loading) pistol was the official Metropolitan Police model, the standard weapon of the London City Police, and widely used throughout the Empire. It was manufactured by Webley & Scott Ltd of London and Birmingham. It was also made in .25 inch calibre. The calibre .25 inch pistol had no sights. These pistols have since been replaced by heavier calibre revolvers.
A smaller version of the Walther Model PP (Police Pistol) introduced by Karl Walther of Zella Mehlis in 1929. This smaller model was issued as the PPK (Police Pistol 'Kriminal'), indicating an arm for use by detectives who carry their arms concealed. This smaller model made its appearance in 1931. These Walther pistols manufactured before World War 2 were without doubt the world's best finished pistols.
This Mauser pistol is just one of twenty-seven different models of German designed and made pistols (not including .22 inch calibre pistols) that were approved for Service use by the German forces between 1914 and 1945. This particular model first appeared in 1895 using the bottle necked 7.63 mm (calibre .30 inch Mauser cartridge). This cartridge was used extensively in World War 2, which indicates that there were a considerable quantity of these pistols in service at that time.
This pistol is seven shot, rotary action and mechanically operated. It was introduced by Jacques Edmond Turbiaux of Paris in 1882. It is chambered for 5.5 mm or .32 inch centre fire cartridges. It carries the inscription 'The Protector' on the right hand side. This one was made by the Chicago Fire Arms Co and is known in the United States as the Chicago pistol.
The Steyr Model 12 pistol was the most widely used of the various pistols used by the Austro-Hungarian Forces in World War 1. It was also used by Rumania and by the Germans. The official Austrian Army nomenclature for this arm was Selbstiade Pistol M12. During World War 2, the Germans re-barrelled a number of these weapons for the 9 mm Parabellum cartridge. These can be identified by '08' stamped on the slide. Although there were about 250,000 of the pistols made they are no longer used as Service pistols anywhere in the world. Manufacture of these pistols ceased in 1919.
Although Hungary was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and in general used the standard weapons of that Empire, because of local development capabilities and probably local politics, the Hungarians used a different pistol during World War 1, which was this model. The designation Model 19 is rather unusual since it appeared in 1912 and was adopted by the Hungarian Army (Honved) prior to World War 1. It was manufactured by Fegyvergyan at Budapest. It is not a good design for a Service weapon, being somewhat delicate. This model was also used by the Hungarian police.
Made by J P Sauer & Son of Suhl, this is a somewhat streamlined version of the original Sauer. The grip is shaped to fit the hand in a style later used in the M38. This model has a signal pin which protrudes from the rear when the pistol is loaded and cocked. Some of these will also be found where the slide and body are made of lightweight duralumin.
These pistols were adopted in 1938 and, as originally made for the German Army, bore the Walther marking. During the war, however, German code letters were used to identify the makers, ie 'ac' for Walther, 'cyq' for Spree Werke, 'byf' and 'svw' for Mauser, 'dov' for Brunn (Bmo) and 'ch' for FN. This pistol bears the code letters 'cyq' which indicates it was made by Spree Werke during World War 2.
Used extensively by German troops during World War I and, among others, by SS Police units during World War 2. It was also widely distributed through commercial channels. This is the 7.65 mm version of Weapon No 252.
These Haenel range of arms were made under patents of Hugo Schmeisser who designed the famous German Sub-Machine (or 'Burp') guns of World War 2. They are of good materials and workmanship, but are not particularly unusual.
A nine-shot pistol which came into service in 1910 and gained widespread popularity. Very similar to the Model 3 (1910).
A holster model designed strictly for military use yet achieving a wide acceptance with peace officers and sportsmen where a heavy arm automatic is required. This model was developed from the older .45 inch automatic (old or military model).
This pistol, designed by
Believed to be the 1910 model designed by
A commercial .22 target pistol of Spanish origin.
A fine example of the elementary blowback Vest Pocket Pistol using the 6.3 mm cartridge. It has an internal striker, detachable box type magazine and a small thumb safety catch. It was manufactured by Carl Walthen and only a few were ever made in this small calibre.
Similar to Weapon No 456.
These Walther pistols are the same as Weapon No 257 and have been modified for Drill purpose (hence DP).
This development of the earlier PP (Polizei Pistole) was produced from about 1930. The designation is believed to be an abbreviation of Polizei Pistole, Kriminal (roughly translated as Police Pistol for Detectives). The PPK was made in small numbers in 6.35 mm calibre, but the common types are in 7.65 mm or 9 mm (short). The latter is a much shorter round than the 9 mm Parabellum. There is also a .22 inch version of the pistol. The Museum's collection includes some PPKs modified for instructional purposes (drill purposes hence DP, Weapon Nos 487 to 491) and some working weapons although some of these are damaged and await restoration.
Similar to Weapon No 224.
Serial Number - 360018k, Museum Number - E:02.0157.02
Similar to Weapon No 264.
Similar to Weapon No 251.
Serial Number - 611049, Museum Number - E:02.0157.04
Manufactured in the USA.
Manufactured in the USA.
Marked "MK. 1* BROWNING-FN. 9MM INGLIS CANADA".
Serial Number - 24, Museum Number - E:02.0157.05
Serial Number - 318561P, Museum Number - A:2001.4391
Manufactured in Argentina.
Serial Number - 03-102181, Museum Number - E:01.0255.01
The pistol was designed by Louis Schmeisser in 1905-06 and placed on the market in 1907. The first model to appear was in 7.65 mm ACP chambering. The pistol was striker fired, the tail of the firing pin acting as a 'cocked' indicator, by protruding through the rear of the breech block. The frame, receiver and slide can be pivoted on a pin in front of the trigger guard, the assembly being locked into the firing position by a catch at the rear end of the frame.
Museum Number - E:03.0695
Top of Page
REME Museum of Technology Home Page
Email Enquiries or telephone 0118 976 3375 for further information
Page produced by Peter Eldred - Last updated 14 February 2009