Home/News
   Home
   Weather
   Sports
   Opinion
   Obituaries
   Special Sections
   Forums
   Archive
   Search
   Front Page
   Subscription
     Services
   @ugusta Help

City Guide and Marketplace
   City Guide
   Classifieds
   Employment
   Coupons
   Autos
   Real Estate
   Yellow Pages
   Maps
   Directions

Entertainment
   Applause
   Dining
   Movies
   Travel
   Television
   Lottery
   Horoscopes

Interactive
   Net Music
   Quick Cooking
   Remote
   Your Health
   Fitness Files
   JobSmart
   Food & Recipes
   Newspapers
    in Education

Special Interest
   Xtreme
   Citizen Activist
   Augusta Golf
   Augusta
     Magazine
   Business
     Chronicle

Help
   F.A.Q.
   Advertise
   Chronicle Staff
   Chronicle Jobs
   Internet Service

AP: The Wire

The Augusta Business Chronicle: Your Augusta Business News Source

Features @ugusta

photo: business

  The Burger King restaurant chain has issued a recall of the plastic balls that hold Pokemon toys being sold with children's meals.
DE HANSEN/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Burger King recalls Pokemon toys

Web posted December 29, 1999

 Have a thought? Go to the @ugusta Forums.


From Staff and Wire Reports

Just weeks ago, Burger King's promotional Pokeman toy was so hot so that restaurants were running out of them. Now the fast food chain is asking customers to bring them back.

The problem is that the plastic balls that hold the Pokemon toys could be dangerous to small children.

Consumers should take the toys away from children under the age of 3, Burger King said in a statement released Monday. The balls should be discarded or returned to a Burger King restaurant for a free small order of fries.

The voluntary recall stems from the death of a 13-month-old California girl who suffocated when half a ball covered her mouth and nose. An 18-month-old Kansas girl also reportedly had a half-ball stuck over her face, but her father pulled it off before she was injured, Burger King officials said.

Heike Smith, a manager at the Burger King at 3054 Washington Road, said no balls were returned to her store as of Tuesday afternoon. One woman, however, did call to ask what was being recalled, she said.

Some balls might be brought back when children find out they can get free fries for them, but she doubts the recall will stir much of a ruckus. Most of the toys went to older children, she said.

``I just have a feeling it's not going to be that big,'' she said.

Charles Nicolas, a spokesman at the Miami-based restaurant chain, said the balls ``may pose a suffocation hazard'' for young children. More than 25 million balls are included in the recall, he said.

The Pokeman toys and balls contain no warning. The packaging described them as ``safety tested and recommended for all ages.'' The toy and container had met all U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission requirements and all international safety standards, the company had said earlier.

``They've passed all choke tests,'' Mr. Nicolas said. ``What's at issue is when the ball covers both the mouth and the nose.''

It was the first time any toy in a Burger King child's meal had been blamed for a death, the company said.

Burger King also had distribution problems with the popular giveaway. Ten days into the eight-week promotion, Burger King North America president Paul Clayton ran full-page newspaper ads apologizing for shortages.


[Past Articles]
Jump to Top

 

  All contents ©copyright The Augusta Chronicle. All contents subject to our privacy policy. Comments or questions? Contact the webmasters.