PDA

View Full Version : AVOID ebay electronicsales425

ki4egi
06-14-2004, 08:19 PM
My husband (KG4WTL) bought an antenna, a 440 Yagi from electronicsales425 on ebay, it took over 3 weeks to get an antenna after an excuse it was lost in the mail (READ their feedback, even the Pos. will say this) once it arrived it was GARBAGE, it looked nothing like the nice black one in their pic. and it was VERY shoddily put together (many neg. and Pos. feedbacks say the same).

Many other hams witnessed this sorry excuse for an antenna, Im not making it up as I go along.

On top of that, they have a policy of returning all Neg. feedbacks with either A) it was lost in the mail or B) this person is new to ebay or Ham radio and dont know what they are talking about (just read the feedback, Im not making this uphttp://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Always read feedback before bidding, It seems like some people recvd good antennas, but the 440 Yagi has a very bad track reckord even with those who posted Pos. feedback (Obviously to avoid retaliation by electronicsales425) #Dan did not leave feedback for that reason.

We would be very interested to hear from anyone else who has dealt with them, bad or good.

Here is an exerpt from an email reply from them, bare in mind, I did not tell them who I was, just that I bought a JUNK antenna from them.

IF YOU CANNOT ADJUST YOUR SWRS YOU WOULD NEED TO HAVE A HAM SHOW YOU HOW. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE NEW TO THE RADIO WORLD, I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET SOME STUDY MATERIAL AND TAKE SOME "BASIC CLASSES, THIS WILL HELP TO AN EXTENT BUT YOU DO NEED SOME KNOWLEDGE TO START OUT WITH.

To begin with, everyone knows emailing in ALL CAPS is taboo, but this is their "Stock Reply" #Dan has been a ham for 17 years #He builds most of his own antennas, I think he knows how to adjust swr #Just because he has a newer call (started out as KA3TVD, then N3GYX) they thought they could explain it away as they always do.

And there is no way to adjust the driven element (unless you want to take to it with a grinder or pair of wire cutters #The elements are made of soft copper and the wires are soldered on (looks like the solder was thrown across the room))

Simply, read their feedback, its mildly entertaining and very enlightening.

K6UEY
06-14-2004, 08:26 PM
CAVEAT EMPTOR

KC0MIS
06-14-2004, 09:13 PM
One of the MANY reasons that I dont do EBAY or PAYPAL.

Chuck

W0LC
06-14-2004, 09:49 PM
I dont hold much faith with electronics, especially anything over 5 years old, working or being in the stated condition upon receipt. I have been screwed on there by individuals that state the unit is functional, but being sold AS IS. What does that mean? To me, it means, the unit, as described, is no worse or better then advertised. Yet, what I received had rust inside on the chassis, tubes didnt power up, only the dial lites came on and they were dimly lit. Upon contacting the seller, I get the "unit was advertised AS IS". Well, the exact description was never disclosed and no photo of the side with rust was provided either. You have to assume that as it appears must be somewhat how it looks when you get it. Having a photo slightly blurred, sure hides a lot.

I doubt I will be buying much off e-bay again. Even some of the ham sites arent much better frankly.

This "Mint" condition story, and yet the item was mounted mobile for the past 5 years. Come on. Hi.

I am sorry to hear of your story. One would think an antenna would be low risk. Evidently, not.

ki4egi
06-14-2004, 10:36 PM
AS IS to me is just a lame copout that most ebayers use that lets them off the hook if the item is damaged in transit, or if they are intentionally ripping you off, which shockingly has happened even by fellow hams

ALL ITEMS purchased on ebay should be insured with the carrier, and should have a return policy, unfortunately, most dont.

Buyer Beware.

w5zzq
06-17-2004, 08:42 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0MIS @ June 14 2004,14:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One of the MANY reasons that I dont do EBAY or PAYPAL.

Chuck[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You are 100% correct Best to stay away..... http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mm0bqm
06-18-2004, 07:29 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ki4egi @ June 14 2004,13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My husband (KG4WTL) bought an antenna, a 440 Yagi from electronicsales425 on ebay, it took over 3 weeks to get an antenna after an excuse it was lost in the mail (READ their feedback, even the Pos. will say this) once it arrived it was GARBAGE, it looked nothing like the nice black one in their pic. and it was VERY shoddily put together (many neg. and Pos. feedbacks say the same).
&lt;snip&gt;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I do not want to come across as rude but, was it bought because it was a &quot;bargain&quot;? As you seem to have bought an item from someone with bad feedback after reading the same

Bob Mason

ki4egi
06-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Yes, I admit it, it was CHEAP. I wasnt expecting much but what I got went straight into file 13, it was completely worthless.

And I also admit I didnt read their feedback at first, thats why I am warning all of you.

mm0bqm
06-19-2004, 02:30 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ki4egi @ June 19 2004,06:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, I admit it, it was CHEAP. I wasnt expecting much but what I got went straight into file 13, it was completely worthless.

And I also admit I didnt read their feedback at first, thats why I am warning all of you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
As the saying goes &quot; I have bought apples from that cart before &quot; :-) Yes I have done the same over here, I do find eBay good for small acessories for the computers etc, but I also now read through the feedback very carefully.

There are some really good traders on eBay, spoiled by the few con-men http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

VY 73

Bob Mason

W5RKL
07-29-2004, 09:48 AM
I have been buying on eBay for 5 years now and in fact, my entire station was purchased on eBay along with numerous computer networking items. #In those 5 years I have not had any major problems to speak of. #However, that does not mean I didnt have small problems. #Even with the best sellers, ham shops, ebay and hamfest, problems do arise. #For the most part its how one handles the problem that can make the difference.

Reading the sellers feedback is the first thing one should do if contemplating an ebay purchase. #Read the feedbacks carefully. #Just because a seller received negative feedback doesnt always mean they should be avoided. #It only means the buyer wasnt pleased with his/her purchase. #Ive read negative feedback on some sellers I bought from and, after reading the feedback closely, I went ahead and purchased the item without a problem.

One of the biggest problems sellers on ebay have are people who bid, win the auction and dont pay. #Another is sellers who over stress the condition. #A new term Ive seen on ebay a lot lately is &quot;minty&quot;. #What the heck is &quot;minty&quot;? #I also stay away from sellers who state they do not know anything about the item but email questions and Ill try to answer them. #I figure if they dont know anything about the item, how can they answer questions about it? duh.....

Sorry that you were not satisfied with your antenna purchase and I hope you dont discard ebay simply because this happened to you from this particular seller. #Use the ebay feedback system. It does work and it helps other perspective buyer. There are thousands of good and honest sellers on ebay.

Michael # http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

K6UEY
07-29-2004, 10:03 AM
You should write back to them and ask which SWR would they suggest you adjust. If an antenna has more than one SWR then the adjustment procedure should be supplied by the factory http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

W1IN
09-01-2004, 12:49 AM
This seller has changed his identity on ebay. He is now antennadesigns73s with feedback kept private.

73 -W1IN

KB0LWX
04-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Ive bought and sold, about equally, a lot of items on ebay, and even made a living from selling stuff on there at one point; a few things:

1. #The BIGGEST problem on ebay is NON-PAYING BIDDERS--people who dont pay after they win an auction

2. #NEVER buy from someone with private feedback--its private for a reason http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

3. #READ THE FEEDBACK READ THE FEEDBACK READ THE FEEDBACK--98% positive is a very good sign, but if theyve got 20,000 feedbacks and therefore 400 negative feedbacks, I might get a bit nervous and decide to go elsewhere. #Also, it can swing the other way--if theyve got 85% positive (not very good) but thats out of 30 feedbacks over the past 5 years, and all of those negative feedbacks were in the first few months they were a member, hence its been all positive the past 4 1/2 years, I wouldnt hesitate to buy from them.

NF2C
04-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I am with Michael, check the feedback FIRST as well as if there is any return policy. I have bought a full Kenwood station off E-Bay and did fine, but met the fellow 1/2 way rather than risk mailing a rig, PS,VFO/Speaker. Also bought several accessories and have did ok so far. Tread carefully and E-Bay can be worth a look. Do NOT send cash in any amount that you are not willing to lose So far I have also done ok on here and QTH.com, but again I look for references and am not in a great hurry usually....Just my thoughts and thanks for the info on ES425.
73, Chris NF2C http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

KD6NIG
04-26-2006, 02:13 PM
If a deal is too good to be true....it probably is.

This applies to everything, not just Ham Radio.

Some of the fear that people have is that if they give someone a negative, they are afraid they will get one back. This fear causes many people to not be as lethal as they should be on commentary about someones products.

The sellers that see this will take advantage of it and you wind up not giving them negative. Ive had it happen a few times where Im sent a message threatening me with negative feedback if I dare report honestly about the junk sent to me. I forward those to email and I carry on. If someone isnt going to buy from me because I told the truth about something and they got mad about it, thats fine.

Personally, I would have taken detailed photos of the junk you were sent, and if he negatived you, my reply to the negative would be &quot;Judge for yourself:&quot; with a URL to the photos. Pictures dont lie, and obviously something is shady if feedback is now hidden for this person.

I would not just give in though. I would have demanded my money back, and filed all the complaints I could muster. Though you may not get anywhere, the inconvienence it would cost this guy would be more than worth the inconvienece you got, right?

The main reason why stuff like this happens is because people are bullied into not saying anything, sweeping it under the carpet. If people selling junk were exposed as they should be, they wouldnt get away with it. If someone tries to sell you something off ebay, report them. The stuff would stop if people would simply report people. Sure, I might earn a negative one of these days when someone carries through on thier threat and ebay chooses to side with them, but no big deal. I use it only casually anyway, and if for some reason tommorrow I couldnt, Id just find another outlet to sell things or buy things. I think Ive only done 45 transactions total anyway in 2 years, and thats only because it was convienent to sell some ham radio stuff via it. Ive probably given away or yardsaled 10 times more than that, and I know for a fact Ive bought many more things sans ebay than with it.

But, it appears this guy will carry on because some people chose not to rate his items properly. Had everyone done so with truth, its likely you wouldnt have even had the oppurtunity to buy as he would have been suspended.

But I appreciate these posts, I do add everyone like this to my blocked list so I dont make the mistake and become the next victim.

KD6NIG
04-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Quote[/b] (W1IN @ Aug. 31 2004,17:49)]This seller has changed his identity on ebay. He is now antennadesigns73s with feedback kept private.

73 -W1IN
He unregistered that one also, probably reregistered with something totally different to lose the paper trail now.

WA2ZDY
04-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Quote[/b] (KD6NIG @ April 26 2006,10:13)]Some of the fear that people have is that if they give someone a negative, they are afraid they will get one back. #This fear causes many people to not be as lethal as they should be on commentary about someones products.

The sellers that see this will take advantage of it and you wind up not giving them negative. #Ive had it happen a few times where Im sent a message threatening me with negative feedback if I dare report honestly about the junk sent to me.
Many ebay sellers state clearly in the auction description that they will leave you (the buyer) feedback only after youve left it for them first and that if you leave negative feedback they will respond in kind.

A buyer who doesnt do a large amount of business on ebay would appear to be quite the deadbeat if over the course of six months he/she does only 10 deals and one of them is a negative in retaliation for an honest feedback. I had that happen to me once. Its not a nice feeling to look at your own feedback and see a negative posted in retaliation for honesty.

As such I dont do business with sellers who say thats how they do business, and I usually dont leave feedback at all. Its just not worth the fuss.

I bought a paper item a few months ago described as &quot;mint.&quot; Upon arrival it quite obviously was not, having frayed edges and being wrinkled. I chose not to leave any feedback.

The seller sent me an email &quot;reminding&quot; me to leave feedback. I emailed back explaining my concerns with the actual condition of the item and explaining that I simply was not going to leave feedback at all. Fortunately this seller left it at that. But I can see having gotten some trumped up negative and having no recourse but to leave an honest negative in return. But again, who wins in that deal?

Sure Id love to leave honest feedback to help &quot;the ebay community,&quot; but they cant help me when I try to sell stuff and get no bidders based on my feedback. Im at 247 - 100% positive (now using a name with my wife, not my original ebay name) and Im not screwing that up.

I like ebay. But one must be very careful in many aspects of that service and be prepared to lose a few deals along the way.

w8cbc
04-26-2006, 09:49 PM
I must be lucky, or cautious - I havent got hosed on ebay yet. Ive got all manner of stuff from radio equipment to carburetors to records to a 1972 Plymouth Valiant. Everythings been either prefectly as described or close enough that there was no problem in leaving a positive.

The last item I got, an ICOM IC-551D, was dysfunctional out of the box - here I thought Id finally been screwed - but it was a couple of intermittent solder joints from age and temp cycling, easily fixed, that could well have been (and probably were) brought out by shipping. The email exchanges about it were friendly enough, the seller appeared to be genuinely surprised by it. So in the end, another fair deal. I now have a working IC-551D, just as I wanted.

I avoid overly flashy sellers and those who &quot;rice up&quot; the language with garbage like &quot;L@@K&quot;. I assume theres a reason theyre trying so hard to get attention.

BTW, a &quot;ricer&quot; is one who puts all kinds of goofy cosmetic crap on his Honda grocery-getter thinking thatll make it go fast. They usually put fart-cans in place of the mufflers too. So their cars look and sound stupid - and dont go any faster.

KC0KBH
04-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Exactly. I just laugh at those cheesy little cars. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif &quot;Nice push bar on your lawnmower.&quot; http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif