Sporting News - NFL Football
Hi, [sign out]   My Fantasy Teams |
 | free membership
Alabama OT Smith bombs in pro day workout
Posted: March 11, 2009
Russ Lande
Sporting News

Tackle Andre Smith might have cost himself millions of dollars Wednesday at his workout at the University of Alabama. In fact, it's hard to imagine him having a worse performance in front of the 50-plus NFL coaches, GMs and scouts.

Smith could have been the first or second overall pick had he taken the offseason program seriously. Now? He could well slide all the way to the third round.

Even before his pro day workout, Smith showed up at the NFL Scouting Combine out of shape, refused to work out and then left abruptly without informing league officials.

On Wednesday, Smith (6-4 1/4) weighed in at a slimmer 325 pounds but still looked soft. Scouts observed him "jiggling" when running the two 40-yard dashes in 5.30 seconds and 5.36 seconds. His lack of preparation showed the most in the 225-pound bench press -- he managed 19 repetitions but seemingly struggled to complete each one.

NFL draft
SNT: Check out the draft's mystery men
Brown: Stafford, Sanchez could take a tumble
News: Draft time moved back an hour
Mock draft: Everette Brown at the top
War Room: Info on 400-plus players
Rankings: Super 99 | By position
His other measureable drills were just as poor: 1.86 and 1.89 seconds in the 10-yard dash; 3.04 seconds and 3.08 seconds in the 20-yard dash; 25-inch vertical jump; 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump; 4.95 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle; and 8.08 seconds in the three-cone drill.

Smith did look more athletic in the positional drills, but it was clear he hadn't put in the necessary time to prepare for his pro day. It appears as if he is a player who will forever have to be pushed and prodded to work hard off the field. He was a dominant college player, but he doesn't understand the level of commitment the NFL game demands.

It seems unlikely that he'll be able to contribute as a rookie in 2009, and he might need a season or two to become NFL-ready, assuming he puts in the work.

Russ Lande founded GM Jr. Scouting LLC, a football scouting service that analyzes NFL draft prospects for Sporting News.

Sporting news - YourTurn   SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE

Comments
chi34 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 07:06 pm
Wow, 5.30 40-yard dash? I could've beaten that time...in third grade.

Of course, this could all mean nothing. Smith could go to a team with a great motivator that will kick his butt into Pro-Bowl form and no one will ever remember his Pro Day.

However, with his apparent lack of work ethic, I wouldn't look his way until 2nd round at the earliest (are you listening, Bears?).
Falling fast!
Seahawk4life on Wed Mar 11, 2009 07:07 pm
I have never seen a guy drop so far so fast in many peoples eyes. This guy was a legit top five pick at the end of the college season, now people see him falling out of the first round, that would be HUGE!.

I would guess many will look at what he did on the field and he will still be drafted in the first round, but to fall out of the first round would be a little bit of a head scratcher. Some team will take a chance at the end of the first or start of the second round. This guy is blowing a huge shot at a job very few people will ever have a chance at. Not smart at all.
GCMBlog on Wed Mar 11, 2009 07:14 pm
What an absolute waste of god-given talent! If I were him I would have been busting my butt every day after the NFL combine! I just hope my Browns don't take a chance on him in the later rounds.
jiggle?
jshep613 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 07:14 pm
should have been smart.....left a dozen donuts 40 yards away...let him run again.....
amabeusBlog on Wed Mar 11, 2009 07:23 pm
I don't think I've ever seen a prospect fall so far from being considered the top prospect in a class to being mentioned as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. As a Packers fan, I can only think about how Aaron Rodgers slid so far from the potential #1 pick to a late 1st rounder. If Smith falls all the way to Green Bay at pick #41, I wonder if lightning could strike twice...
a long time ago in town named Green Bay...
SixRingSteelerThing on Wed Mar 11, 2009 07:43 pm
amabeus wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a prospect fall so far from being considered the top prospect in a class to being mentioned as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. As a Packers fan, I can only think about how Aaron Rodgers slid so far from the potential #1 pick to a late 1st rounder. If Smith falls all the way to Green Bay at pick #41, I wonder if lightning could strike twice...

lightning maybe at the offensive line twice? ...hopefully Packers front office still remember the name...Tony Mandarich Wink
Re: a long time ago in town named Green Bay...
amabeusBlog on Wed Mar 11, 2009 08:00 pm
SixRingSteelerThing wrote:
lightning maybe at the offensive line twice? ...hopefully Packers front office still remember the name...Tony Mandarich Wink

Lol, had I said take him with the 9th pick then you might have a point, but honestly I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Green Bay draft Smith with the 41st pick. Drafting him at that selection wouldn't put the Packers on the hook for a big contract and Smith dominated where it really counts, on the field.
HERE WE GO AGAIN
trojanman7605Blog on Wed Mar 11, 2009 08:24 pm
Wow, this has been a great story to argue on. Now EVERYONE thinks the guy no one knew about, Jason Smith, is the best OT in the draft. The Combine proves a lot, but not with tackles people! Tackles BLOCK not run shuttles, 40 yard dashes, and leap in the air! Andre Smith is the best overall tackle in the draft. Anyone that knows anything about being a tackle would tell you technique is everything and Smith has that down pat. The 19 bench reps concerns me a bit I admit, but look at film. It speaks for itself. John Parker was MADE BY ANDRE SMITH. The one game, the Sugar Bowl, when he had to sit out John got sacked like what 9 times?

He was jiggling while running, because hes 325 pounds!!! This is one of the biggest BS bandwagons I've seen and I'll tell you what. Someone is going to STEAL this big man if he falls out of the top 10 much less the top 20, mark my words!
Embarrassing...
mikearealBlog on Wed Mar 11, 2009 08:26 pm
performance for a gifted athlete. No-one in their right mind will give this guy top ten guaranteed money. Not in this economy. Who advised this guy?
Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN
BradEz1Blog on Wed Mar 11, 2009 09:06 pm
trojanman7605 wrote:
Wow, this has been a great story to argue on. Now EVERYONE thinks the guy no one knew about, Jason Smith, is the best OT in the draft. The Combine proves a lot, but not with tackles people! Tackles BLOCK not run shuttles, 40 yard dashes, and leap in the air! Andre Smith is the best overall tackle in the draft. Anyone that knows anything about being a tackle would tell you technique is everything and Smith has that down pat. The 19 bench reps concerns me a bit I admit, but look at film. It speaks for itself. John Parker was MADE BY ANDRE SMITH. The one game, the Sugar Bowl, when he had to sit out John got sacked like what 9 times?

He was jiggling while running, because hes 325 pounds!!! This is one of the biggest BS bandwagons I've seen and I'll tell you what. Someone is going to STEAL this big man if he falls out of the top 10 much less the top 20, mark my words!

I don't think anyone (fans, draft experts, or teams doing the drafting) question his technique. What has and is killing this young mans draft stock is his attitude. With the commisioner cracking down on player conduct and the problems we've seen with some players (T.O., Chad Johnson, Willis McGehe, Mike Vick, ect..) teams are beggining to look at personell differently and the quality of the people they are paying tens of millions of dollars to play a game. Ten, maybe five years ago talent and technique would get anybody signed. Now, it will not only cost a player a hight draft pick, but will end a carreer quickly as well. If the guy does'nt care about breaking rules that could hurt his college team, does'nt care enough to show up at the combine prepared, does'nt care to even stay through the whole thing during the combine, and now does'nt care enough to even be ready for his pro day, a day that he, the NFL, and the whole free world knew would hinge on him going high in the first round or losing millions by not making the grade....... Nobody questions his skill or technique, it's his charicter that is up to debate...... And he's not winning that debate.
All times are EST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page 1 of 6