Yakface.com Forums Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LotteryLottery  BankBank  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

LEGO

Limited Edition Star Wars Merchandise now available

A Jawa Journey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yakface.com Forums Forum Index -> Photo Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TradeFederationSympathy
Moisture Farmer

29 YAKPoints
Bank: 59086 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: A Jawa Journey Reply with quote

"A Jawa Journey"

On the desert planet of Tatooine, in the belly of a sandcrawler, works a diligent Jawa on a scrap droid...

The Jawa Butini can be found on a daily basis repairing lost droids "found" in the vast deserts of Tatooine.

Secluded in the belly of the massive sandcrawler, Butini becomes attentive upon hearing a demand by the crawlers chief Jawa.

The chief Jawa orders, "Butini, we spotted a protocol droid in the distance, get your gear together and retrieve it!"

Butini retrieves the protocol droid from the barren desert. Upon arrival in the sandcrawler, the droid exclaims in delight, " R-2?... R2-D2 it is you...!"

Butini has been requested to meet with the chief Jawa: The chief asks Butini, "I am arranging to sell that R5 droid you're working on to the Lars farmer, can I have assurance that it will be ready when we arrive?"

"I WILL have it done in time Chief! It's just a bad motivator." Butini promises begrudgingly.

Butini works throughout the long trip while crossing the desert in an attempt to fix the R5 droid.

After many hours of exhausting work, Butini returns the R5 droid to the droid compartment while he takes an opportunity to rest before continuing his repairs.

Butini's friend Bu bursts into the room and exclaims, "Butini! We've reached the Lars farm, why are you resting? Your droid isn't ready for sale!"

Butini wakes up frightened out of his sleep and diligently replies, "Take the droid outside, I'll finish the last of the repairs there!"

The Jawas line up and prepare the droids for sale to the moisture farmer Lars.

Butini works diligently on R5 with his few lasting moments.... Accordingly, Butini pleas with the R5, "Please work for me you stupid droid!"

Butini must stop his work as the farmer and the Chief approach him and his unfinished droid.

Lars points at the R5 droid and speaks in a clear basic tongue, "Yeah, I'll take that one..."

Butini is filled with relief and excitement with the approval of his droid.

The Chief blinks his eye at Butini in approval, and continues to barter with the farmer.

The farmer approaches a protocol droid and questions it, "You, I suppose your programmed for etiquette and protocol...?" after a few brief questions Bu-ti-ni sees that the farmer has chosen to purchase the protocol droid that he himself retrieved from the desert. A sense of accomplishment fills him as he realizes that his hard work has paid off for both transactions of the day.

Meanwhile, a feisty R2 droid has snuck out of line and is moving up and down making a commotion.

Pop..Pop..POW! "Uncle Owen. This R2 unit has a bad motivator." the farmers son cries out in a whiny voice.

No words are exchanged, but Butini and the Chief focus on each other for a brief moment. Butini knows that he in in major trouble with the Chief...AND with the tribe.

Butini and the rest of the Jawas carry in R5 and the other unsold droids back into the cold sandcrawler.
Butini is filled with embarrassment while the clan prepares to leave. He senses his peers glowing eyes scanning him in disapproval.

Butini returns to the sandcrawler, his loathsome steel home. Stepping foot onto the crawler only after all of the other Jawas have embarked.

As Butini enters the dark belly of the sandcrawler a strong hand grasps him by the shoulder and pulls him into a dark corner.

Butini sighs with relief at the sight of his friend Bu.
Bu whispers under his breath to Butini, "The sandcrawler is no longer a safe home for you my friend, there are whispers that you are to be banned for embarrassing the Chief at the Lars farm."

Butini knows the seriousness of being banned by a Jawa clan. If he is banned in the vast deserts of Tatooine, he will die. A lone Jawa stands no chance against the evil creatures of the desert, especially the brutal sand people. Butini is stricken with fear as he contemplates his few options.

"Butini." Bu whispers, "I suggest that you slip off of the crawler the next time we pass a homestead or spaceport. Until then, stay low and hide among the droids."

Butini nods his head in humble agreement.

Butini remains silent while he hides among the scrap droids, weary that a passing Jawa may hear his breath or catch a glimpse of his glowing eyes.

Bu manages to slip Butini some food in the evening while the crawlers residents slip into a deep sleep. Butini devours the food while Bu whispers a bit of much needed hope," Butini, we should be passing a small settlement tomorrow, try to slip away while the Chief is at market with the droids."

Butini replies with sincere appreciation, "Thank you Bu."

Bu slips away in the darkness, leaving Butini alone once again in his dismal alcove.

Moments Later:
"Rum..Rum..Boom!" The sandcrawler jolts to a stop and Butini falls into an unforgiving scrap pile. Butini utters to himself in fright, "What was THAT?!"

Butini hardly has time to catch his breath before he hears terrorized shrieks coming from every direction. The sound of blaster fire muffles the sound of his own racing breath. He grasps against the wall in an effort to shield himself from his own fear.

Butini remains in his hiding place as he hears the attackers unfamiliar clanking feet approach. Butini wonders in fear who would orchestrate an attack against a passive clan of Jawas. His first intuition tells him that the clanking feet belong to a droid, possibly a droid uprising has occurred within the sandcrawler. Anxious that the clanking feet would not stop their approach, Butini lobs a bolt across the room to distract the attacker.
A human voice calls out, "I heard something, check those droids over there!"

Butini hears the humans command and questions whether the attack was coordinated by both humans and droids. His fears settle as the footsteps leave the room.

The sandcrawler returns to silence. Butini waits... relieved. He makes the decision to wait inside of the crawler until is is guaranteed to be safe outside, away from his hiding spot.

An hour or so passes before Butini makes the decision to look around. Butini gasps as he looks outside through a porthole! Butini witnesses a protocol droid drop a dead Jawa into a smoldering pile of dead Jawas. The Lars human boy is with the droid...He must have led the uprising! An old man in tattered robes accompanies the boy as well. If Butini is not mistaken, the droids who carried out the slaughter of his kin were the very same droids sold only a day earlier to the Lars farmers.

Now convinced of the droid revolt and fearful of being stabbed in the back by a renegade droid, Butini knows that he must be diligent and escape the sandcrawler as swiftly as possible.

Butini is cautious to slip past droids and even droid parts without making any noise.

One droid is aware of Butini's presence in the crawler. The devious droid questions Butini's survival with a mocking utterance... "Master?" Upon hearing the droid, Butini takes no chance and rushes to an exit!

Butini flees from the rear of the sandcrawler, fully aware of the rising smoke plume filling the desert sky behind him.

A single cruel hour? day? week? passes as Butini trapes across the vast Tatooine desert. The lone Jawa feels in dire need of food and more importantly...WATER.

A faint hissing growl slowly approaches Butini as he wanders through the countless rock ravines of the planet. Butini ponders his options of defense as the noise approaches closer. He carries only a useless ion droid blaster to his side and a repair tool, both are useless for defense against anything other than a submissive droid.

Butini is smart enough to realize that he is unable to put up a good fight against a formidable foe; thus he uses his traditional Jawa instincts and dashes away from the lingering predator...

In close pursuit, a wamprat matches Butini's dash and the creature begins to close in on its desert prey.

A sudden, "Snap! Crash!" and Butini finds himself deep within a hole. A safe distance from the hungry wamprat, and yet still in an uncomfortable predicament. The walls of the hole reach nearly 3 meters high, far above Butinis reach. But for now, the wamprat is at bay.

Butini and the wamprat stare at each other as the wamprat slowly circles the pit which imprisons the creatures next meal.

"BDOW, BDOW" Comes the echo of laser blasts. Making the ravenous wamprat scurry to cover among the rocks, leaving the rim of the pit abandoned and unhostile.

"Hello there lil' Jawa." Comes a greeting from a large humanoid, speaking in a deep raspy voice, standing above the rim of the pit. He continues, "Whad ya doin' in my wamprat trap?"
Butini replies, "Your trap saved me from that wamprat that you scared off. However, I am dearly sorry that I forfeited you of your game sir."

The humanoid continues in his slow utterance..."Well...that's ok little Jawa. Do ya need help outta dat' trap or do ya plan on moving in for good?" He jokes. Butini smiles and replies, "Any help would be gladly accepted."
"Help I can give ya, but if you want a wamprat for lunch, it seems dat' I will be plum outta those." The large humanoid jokingly blames Butini.

Butini is pulled out of the pit and receives a warm greeting from his newest acquaintance, "Hello lil' friend, me names Grego, What's yurs? The friendly greeting is accompanied with a long stare and silence.

"I go by Butini," he says while looking straight up into Grego's rough and brutalized visage.
"Well nice to meet ya lil' one, what brings a lone Jawa to my hostile patch of the desert?" Grego inquires.

Butini somberly stretches the truth, "My clan and crawler were attacked by a hostile farmer boy and an army of insurgent droids." Butini also intentionally refrains from mentioning his previous impending banishment.

Grego rests his hand on Butini's shoulder and says encouragingly," I'm very sorry lil' one, do ya need me to take ya to a settlement? I have a pet Ronto who could take us to Mos Eisley if you'd like."
Butini nods yes in acceptance to Gregos offer. The new duo start their journey through the desert toward the spaceport of Mos Eisley.

The End. Part 1 of 2

Hope you enjoy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TB9153
Scout Trooper

135 YAKPoints
Bank: 62604 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was awesome! Very Happy
Darth Kikinou
Jedi Knight

17364 YAKPoints
Bank: 0 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: A Jawa Journey Reply with quote

Wow TFS, that was great! Such a smooth read, instantly captivating, very original too! The whole time I was reading the dialogue I kept imagining how it sounded "mee wee bee" :-) Fantastic photography and location, really looks like Tatooine!! And really, the angles of the shots, excellent, very impressive. Well done! Can't wait till part 2!!

http://www.guardiansofpeaceandjustice.com/
Eopie Herder
Bantha Poodo

6211 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, interesting pictures that are clear and well lit. I look forward to the next one!
Midi-Chlorian

5009 YAKPoints
Bank: 792 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely great.

It's definitely a definition for survival.
I'm new here, and the main reason I be here is to work on a photo novel called "Delta 7" which centers around the Spec Ops 7th regiment of the Republic's Delta Squad. If the story is a bit choppy, or a bit too short, let me know.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

41357 YAKPoints
Bank: 69409 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had time to skim through this so far... but wow! I really am impressed by the images!

Wink

Rykrof Enloe Chapter 28 - TRANSGRESSION
TradeFederationSympathy
Moisture Farmer

29 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the nice comments everyone. I'm glad to see that my first photonovel wasn't a huge flop. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Incom
Teras Kasi

10 YAKPoints
Bank: 723730 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet little story, great (outdoor) shots and overall a real pleasure to read. Looking forward to part 2!
Alpha-Class Arc Trooper

0 YAKPoints
Bank: 113017 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink A great set of visuals all across the board. Those are very accurate rock formations.. do you have those around or did you make them yourself? Anyways, a great pn from a different point of view! Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the next episode. Very Happy
TradeFederationSympathy
Moisture Farmer

29 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc_Trooper77 wrote:
Wink A great set of visuals all across the board. Those are very accurate rock formations.. do you have those around or did you make them yourself? Anyways, a great pn from a different point of view! Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the next episode. Very Happy

Thanks for the nice words. The rock formations are a local thing. I drove out to a dry lake bed to take the pictures for most of it. Next episode will be coming soon. Very Happy
Robo-Quack
Mighty Mugg Fanatic

10 YAKPoints
Bank: 14207 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unique, original, and creative! I really enjoyed that, especially that awesome scenery you were able to find! Looking forward to your next installment. Very Happy
Robo-Quack
Mighty Mugg Fanatic

10 YAKPoints
Bank: 14207 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: A Jawa Journey Reply with quote

Loved these two pics:

TradeFederationSympathy wrote:

TB9153
Scout Trooper

135 YAKPoints
Bank: 62604 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the scenery totally made this such a jaw dropper. cant wait for the next episode. any hints to what it will have? Very Happy
TradeFederationSympathy
Moisture Farmer

29 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB9153 wrote:
the scenery totally made this such a jaw dropper. cant wait for the next episode. any hints to what it will have? Very Happy

I haven't decided the exact script or photos yet, just some basic plans for what I want to happen. Basically, just more of a journey for the little Jawa Butini.
Lance Quazar
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

8052 YAKPoints

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!

This is amazing!!!

on a technical level, this photonovel is absolutely outstanding. Mind-blowing.

The interior sandcrawler shots are phenomenal. Amazing diorama work and lighting! It looks sensational, right out of the movie with plenty of your own inspiration and imagination on top of it.

But the outdoor shots are even better. What I can I say that others haven't? It looks absolutely gorgeous. Best location work I've ever seen in a PN. Extraordinary, really. Great locations, gorgeous photography! Just lovely.

The story itself is really entertaining and ingenious! Awesome how you threaded the story through the events of the films, feels like an addition of the "Star Wars Tales" comic in that regard. I love seeing those kinds of parallel stories, seeing things from a different perspective.

Really, really cool. Well-written, clever and highly entertaining. And technically superb. Wow, I'm just awed by this great PN.

My only extremely lame and minor nitpick would be - Luke and Ben finding the Sandcrawler would be so much later than the stormtrooper attack that I didn't quite buy that Buntini would think Luke and Ben were behind it. But it makes for a good joke and it's really not a big deal at all.

Awesome stuff!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yakface.com Forums Forum Index -> Photo Novels All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: