November 11, 2008
Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0 Released
On Tuesday, virtualization software maker Parallels unveiled Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0, the next major version of its best-selling virtualization package for Intel-based Macs. According to Macworld, the new version will see 50 additional features and enhancements such as the ability to run Leopard Server in a virtual machine as well as speed boosts up to 50% than previous versions of the software.
Other new features include the Adaptive Hypervisor which allows Parallels to intelligently load balance the processor between Mac OS X and the virtual machine and a revised virtualization engine which has been retooled to consume 15 to 30% fewer resources than before.
Additional improvements include added support for DirectX 9, DirectX Pixel Shader 2.0 and OpenGL 2.0
Users can now dedicate up to eight CPUs and 8 GB of RAM to each virtual machine.
A new viewing mode called Modality allows users to set the transparency of the guest operating system to be able to view the activity of a virtual machine while in the background. Users can also switch to Coherence, the Windows taskbar items move to the Macâ€™s menu bar and have continual access to them.
For users running test or beta versions of new software, virtual machines can now be booted in Safe Mode, allowing things to run normally without changes. Provided the software works correctly, users can then stop the virtual machine, exit Safe Mode and test the software under entirely normal operating system settings.
Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0 is available immediately and retails for US$79.99. Current Parallels Desktop users can upgrade their existing software for $39.99. Users that purchased version 3.0 on or after September 1, 2008, qualify for a free upgrade to version 4.0.
If you've gotten your hands on Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0 and have any feedback about it, please let us know in the comments or forums.
Posted by chrisbarylick at November 11, 2008 10:19 AM
Tags: 2008, 3.0, 4.0, Apple, beta, Coherence, CPU, Desktop for Mac, DirectX 9, Intel-based, Leopard Server, Mac, Macs, Modality, OpenGL 2.0, OS X, Pixel Shader 2.0, RAM, Safe Mode, software, test, virtual machine, virtualization
Buy from: Apple, iTunes, Amazon.
- MacBook Air Meets Angry Owner with Knife
- Intuit Releases Quicken Online Mobile App for iPhone, iPod Touch
- Rumor: Apple Allegedly Lowering Prices for MacBook Notebooks, iMacs
- OWC Releases Faster Internal Superdrives for 13" MacBook, 15" MacBook Pro Notebooks
- Blu-Ray Support Code Found in iTunes 8.2 Beta
- Truphone 3.0 Released
- Amazon Acquires iPhone eBook Reader Stanza
- Scientists Look Towards Ferroelectric Transistors for Instant-On Notebook Technologies
- Rumor: Apple Could be Developing iPhone Lite, "Media Pad" for Summer Release
- Google Earth 5.0.11729.1014 Released
- New Snow Leopard Seed and Server Features for iPhone
- VirtualBox 2.2.2 Out the Door
- Mark/Space Releases Missing Sync for iPhone 2.0.1 Update
- Apple Opens 24/7 Live Chat Support for MobileMe Subscribers
- Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.0.10 Update
TrackBack URL for this entry: