Screen Mode | Print Mode
Sunday 17 May 2009

Our History

Below is an outline of the Trust's history. You can click on a year to find out what else was happening across the world, using Wikipedia and you can click on the pictures to see larger versions.

1817
Lewisham Hospital starts its life as a workhouse.
1872
Sydenham Children's Hospital, a hospital and home for sick children is opened by Miss Edith Elwes.
1897
Park Fever Hospital (later called Hither Green Hospital) opens for the treatment of infectious diseases such as scarlet fever or diphtheria.
1926
Her Majesty Queen Mary visits Sydenham Children's Hospital to open the hospital's nurses' home.
The laying of the foundation stone for the Outpatients Block, 1956
1932
C Block is built, providing 163 Maternity and Children's beds.
1935
On 14 June, Her Royal Highness Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, visits the hospital to open a £24,000 new wing.
1945
Opening of Dunoran Home, a pioneering home for the chronically ill.
1948
The NHS is formed (5 July 1948).
1950
The Park Hospital changes it name to Hither Green Hospital
1952
Grove Park Hospital opens it new £6,000 patients' recreation hall.
1954
Lewisham Hospital opens a premature baby unit for 12 babies
1956
Foundation stone for the new Outpatients Block is laid by Mr R Owen, Chairman of the Management Committee.
1957
A staff paging system is introduced at Lewisham-only the second hospital in the UK to have the system.
The League of Friends Committees formed at Grove Park, St John's and Hither Green Hospitals.
The opening of the new Outpatients Department, 1958
1958
The new Outpatients Department is opened at Lewisham Hospital in May by HRH Princess Margeret. This is built on the bomb-site of one of the ward blocks destroyed by a flying bomb in World War ll.
1964
The second part of a new building programme is completed at Lewisham, providing an extension of the Accident Department and waiting halls, more consulting rooms and a large, new X-ray Department.
1966
The new pharmacy and operating theatres open, as the second phase of the Outpatients building, at Lewisham Hospital.
1968
The new Special Care Baby Unit, the new Antenatal Clinic and an Intensive Therapy Unit (the first in a District General Hospital in the country) are opened at Lewisham Hospital by the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Health, Mr Julian Snow. The three units cost a total of £126,000
Nurse Training in the 1950s
1970
A regional centre for the Blood Transfusion Service is established at Lewisham Hospital.
June - the Lewisham Hospital Voluntary Services is set up.
1971
The new Nurses' Education Centre opens at Lewisham Hospital, at a cost of £150,000
1973
Sir Keith Joseph, Secretary of State for Health and Social services, visits the hospital in February and in October he opens 'Birdwood' the younger disabled Unit at Hither Green.
1979
St John's Hospital closes.
1982
The Lewisham Macmillian Team treats its first cancer patient.
1987
The £10 million Phase 1 redevelopment of Lewisham Hospital is completed and features four theatres, one surgical ward, a kitchen, dining room, new rehabilitation facilities, a boiler house, and refurnished facilities for Accident and Emergency and Outpatients.
1991
Sydenham Children's Hospital closes its doors and moves to Lewisham Hospital, where it is known as the Children's Hospital.
1992
Scanner Appeal, set up in 1989 donates CT scanner in October 1992 and continues as Lewi Appeal to raise money for further equipment and amenities at the hospital.
1993
The Lewisham Hospital NHS Trust established and Dunoran Home becomes part of the trust.
The £35 million Phase 2 redevelopment of Lewisham Hospital, which includes a new Women's and Children's Wing, begins.
1994
Grove Park Hospital closes
Sapphire Ward-a 20 bedded surgical ward is opened.
Day Surgical Unit opens on 13 May
1995
The Accident and Emergency Department at Lewisham Hospital is upgraded and extended in June following a £1 million investment.
Princess Alexandra opens the Women's and Children's Wing, 1996
1996
Princess Alexandra opens the new Women's and Children's Wing at the hospital on 12 November.
1997
Hither Green Hospital closes.
Care of the Elderly service transfer from Hither Green Hospital into Lewisham Hospital.
The Lewisham Hospital NHS Trust is awarded formal status as a full University Hospital by the University of London and changes the name of Lewisham Hospital to University Hospital Lewisham.
1998
The Ladywell unit, providing mental health at the hospital site, is officially opened by Frank Dobson, Secretary of State for Health.
2002
Start of the £58 million phase 3 scheme of the hospital's redevelopment programme to replace old style Nightingale wards with modern facilities.
2007
The Riverside wing is officially opened by Arch Desmond Tutu. The new building has photovoltaic panels on the roof to contribute towards the energy needed to run it.

Back to Top

The Lewisham Hospital NHS Trust, Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH

Telephone Number: 020 8333 3000 Fax Number: 020 8333 3333 Email: See Contact Page

 Subscribe to news updates from this site

 Subscribe to emergency alerts from this site