.... market town in Lincolnshire
Alford - Sutton Tramway 1884 - 1889
In the Spring
of 1884, construction of the Tramway reached its final stages. In March
the project was inspected by Major-General Hutchinson on behalf of the
Board of Trade. He was very satisfied by the venture. In the evening,
Mr. Dick, the constructor and owner of the line, provided a dinner for
the highway surveyors of the different parishes; "some eulogistic
and congratulatory speeches were made, and with the addition of some singing
and recitations. A very enjoyable evening was passed."
April 02, the Tramway was officially opened. The shops in Alford were
closed in the afternoon to enable many people to sample the new form of
transport to the Coast.
Alford railway station
yard - Bilsby - Markby - Hannah - 'Sutton-le-Marsh' terminating at the
Jolly Bacchus. Just
over 8 miles.
Resource material ('Alford
& Sutton Tramway' by George Dow) and photogragh of the Tram provided
by Bud Sheilds.
|The tramway provided
a very useful and safe means of transport for the communities in the area.
The line was kept in first class condition with the whole line being inspected
every day; stones and hard substances being removed along the way. The Tramway
was popular; there were many shopping expeditions to Alford. Travel was
cheap: return fares were one shilling for adults and sixpence for children.
There was even a half day excursion from Alford to Sutton for ninepence
return. Parcels, newspapers and passenger's luggage were carried by all
of the Tramway looked good with plans for extensions to Chapel St. Leonard's
and Skegness.. However, the construction of the Willoughby & Sutton
Railway proved to be too much. With the completion of the loop: Willoughby
- Sutton - Mablethorpe - Louth Railway, the Tramway declined.
In 1889 December
07, the Lincoln Gazette stated, "The Alford & Sutton Tramway
have ceased to run their cars, ostensibly for the winter months, but really
for an indefinite period...."