Jump to Content

Search Site

Google tm

A A

Bridging the Gap

<< Back Next >>

 

When it opened the Auckland Harbour Bridge was a toll road. Tolls were collected from booths outside the Bridge Authority building at Sulphur Beach and in 1959 it cost 25 cents to take a car across the bridge. The tolls were always controversial. Designed to make the bridge pay for itself and recover the loans taken out for building but disliked by many and the cause of major traffic jams in rush hour they became a political platform for many years. Finally on 31 March 1984 the Government abolished the charges and the toll booths were pulled down.

<< Back | Index | Next >>

Top | Feedback | Site Map | Site Search

North Shore Libraries is funded by North Shore City Council rates and supported by Friends of the Libraries and the North Shore Libraries Foundation.
Accessibility Information | Credits | Contact Us | Policies | Web Links | Jobs

Red FlowerRed FlowerRed FlowerRed Flower