Tourist Places

Hastinapur

The headquarters of a pargana of the   same  name, this village lies in Lat. 29 10 N and  Long  78 0 E. and stands on the high bank  of  the  Burhi Ganga.  It  is  23   miles  north-east of the  district  headquarters  and  7   miles  east of  the tahsil headquarters, being connected with both by a metalled road.

JAIN TEMPLE =>

jain_tem.jpg (37839 bytes)
jain_temp.jpg (27728 bytes)

JAIN TEMPLE

According to Jain tradition, Hastinapur was one of the earliest Indian cities like Ayodhya and  Kashi  and came into existence during the time of Rishabhadeva (the first tirthankara)  whose  grandson,  Somaprabha,  was the first ruler of the place. It is also said to be the birth place of three  Jain tirthankars, Shantinatha, Kunthnnath and Arahanatha. The Buddhists say that this city was the capital of  Kururattam.  The  Mahabharata  also  gives  the early history of the place, the founder of which is generally  believed  to  be   King Hastin,  fifth  in  descent   from Bharta. It was the capital of the Kauravas and Pandavas. It is said to have extended as far  as   Barnawa  in  the weat and Puth in the south. At the time of the Mahabharata War it  was  in  the  heyday  of  its   prosperity which, however, began to decline thereafter. The severe floods in the   Ganga,  which  washed  away  the  city, and the transfer of the capital of Kaushambi left in complete obscurity but it was rehabilitated twice   within  the next few centuries though it never achieved its former glory.
The remains of the ancient city are scattered over a large area lying around the village which is divided into two portions, Patti Kauravan and Patti Pandavan. Some of the most important buildings and  sites  of the place are described briefly below. The Digambar Jain temple was built about 160 year ago probably on the site of an old Jain Temple.  Devpal Soni of Ajmer had installed in Hastinapur in 1174 a  life-size   image  of  Shantinatha,  the sixteenth  tirthankara, and this image,  which  was  dug  out  a few  years  ago from a mound near  by has been placed   in  this  temple.  Vidura-ka-tila (also  known  as  Ulta-khera )  called  after  Vidura   (the  halfbrother  of Dhritarashtra and  Pandu) is a collection of several mounds,some being 50 to 60 feet high and extending a few furlongs.  Draupadi Ghat, on the banks of the Burhganga, is  a  bathings  ghat  where    people   flock   in    large numbers   on bathings festivals. Draupadi-ki-Rasoi is  belived   to  be  the  site  of  Draupadi's  kitchen  and   is situated on the banks of the Burhganga.  jain1.jpg (32227 bytes)

 

 

 

 

JAIN TEMPLE

jamboo.jpg (31584 bytes) Archaeological excavations of Vidura-ka-tila (undertaken in 1950-52) as also of other  neighboring sites have   brought  to  light various antiquities which associate this place with a succession of  cultural periods.The main temple of Jambudeep is also situated there.

<= JAMBOO DEEP

According to the census 1991 its population was 15081 and area 3.06 square kms. The population of Hastinapur block is 94567 and area is 333.8 square kms. There are 10 nayay panchayats and 56 gram saber. The chief cash crop of the place is sugar-cane and the principal sources of irrigation are canals and tubules. A battings fair of the Janis is held here in Charity which is attended by about 50000 persons.                             JAIN TEMPLE => temple.jpg (46641 bytes)

Meerut

Situated almost in the heart of the district, Meerut gives its names to the district and to the revenue division and lies in Latitude 29 degree 0' N. and Long 77degree 43' E., at  a  distance  of  448  CMS.   from  Lucknow    ( the headquarters of the State Government)  and about 70 Kms.   north  east of Delhi. Three stone inscriptions in an old churchyard give the   elevation (above sea level) of the  city  variously  as 223.723 Meters, 224.028 Meters and 225.247 Meters (the  first probably having been inscribed at the instance of the Trigonometrical Survey).

town_hall.jpg (47239 bytes)

TOWN HALL, MEERUT

The main line of the Northern Railway ( Delhi-Meerut-Saharanpur ) skirts the west of the city. Good metalled roads also radiate from Meerut and on the south-west lead to Ghaziabad and Delhi,on the west to Baghpat,on the  north-west  to  Sardhana  and  on  the north to Muzaffarnagar. Other metalled roads run to Garmukteshwar   (lying in south-east) and to Hapur ( which is in the south ),   A metalled  road  goes from   the  city  to Bahsuma. Metalled roads lead to Parichhatgarh  and   Kanpur  on  the  east, to Binoli and Baraut on the north-west and to Sardhana in the north ( which is a more direct route than that by the metalled road ).

Different derivation are ascribed to the name Meerut, Merat or Mirath. According to a local tradition the original  name was  Mayarashtra  after  Maya,  the father of Mandodari (who was Ravana's wife). He is said to have lived here and Mandodari to have worshipped in the local Vilveshvarnath temple which is belived to be the oldest   Shiva  temple  in  the district.  The Jats allege that meerut was founded by their people. Others say that Meerut received its name from Mahipal, a King of Delhi. The fact that a pillar was erected here by the emperor Ashoka in the third century B.C.  and the discovery of some Buddhist remains within the city leave little room for doubt that this was once an important place. The city proper was originally surrounded by a moat and a wall with 10 gates of some antiquity- the Delhi,Chamar,  Dhisari,Shorab,Shah Pir, Burhana, Khairnagar, Kamboth  and Baghpat and Hapur, the last two being comparatively recent. Since 1935 and particularly after independence the city has spread beyond the bounds of the old town and many new localities  have come into existence the bigger  ones  being  Begum Bagh,  Thaparnagar,    Gandhinagar,  Subhasnagar,  Shiv Puri,  Sabun Garan, Kailashpuri , Krishna Puri, Brahampuri, Lakshminagar, Darya Ganj, Nadirabad and Ramnagar. On 14th Nov. 1976 a district was constituted named Ghaziabad , separated from Meerut. According to Census-1991 the popualtion of the Nagar Mahapalika  is 753778 and area was 141.89 square kms.

The Nagar Mahapalika was constituted on 15-6-1982. For administrative purpose It was divided into 30 wards.

Suraj Kund

There is a pond at Meerut called Suraj Kund, built by a rich businessman Lawar Jahawar Lal in 1714. This was filled up by water of Abu Nala earlier. Later it was filled by Ganga   Canal. There are sevral temples around the Suraj Kund. One of them is famous Baba Manohar Nath temple. It was said that it was built during the period of Shahjahan.

Chandi Devi Temple

chandi_temp.jpg (35505 bytes)

This temple is very near to the Suraj Kund. The Nauchandi Mela is organised every year after one week of Holi festival either in March end of april first week. This is very famous mela. Few lakh peple viist this Mela every year.

Mansa Devi Temple

This temple is 5 Kms away from Suraj Kund , on the garh road, oppo. Medical College , Meerut

Bale Miyan ki Darghah

Dargah of Bale Miyan is very near to Chandi Devi Mandir. Urs is organised  every year on this mazar during the Nauchandi mela. It was built by Kutubuddin Ebak in 1194. mazar.jpg (17291 bytes)

Jama Masjid

Jama Masjid which is near to kotwali was buit by Hasan Mehandi, Minister of Mahamood Gajni in 1019. The reconstruction of this mosque was done during the period of mugal badshah Humanu.

Shaheed Smarak

shaheed.jpg (108797 bytes) It is 30 meter high made of marbel, there function are organised on every national festivals and people pay homage to various shahids. Shahid Smarak is located at bhainsali, earlier was Sati Sarover. It was said that Mandodari before her marriage bath there regularly before going the worship of Shiv-Parvati at Bilveshwar Nath temple.

Augharhnath Mandir

In sadar bazar there is a baba Augharnath temple is also called a Kali Paltan Mandir. On 10th May,1857  the Indian citizen take an oath to get freedom at this temple. kali_paltan.jpg (42946 bytes)

Sardhana

Situated about a mile west of the Ganga canal, Sardhana, the head quarters town of the pargana and of the tahsil, lies in Lat, 29 degree 8' N. and Long. 77 degree 37' E., and it about 21 Kms. distant from Meerut , with which it is connected by a metalled road.   Other roads lead to Daurala in the east, Baghpat in the south-west, Baraut ( in district Baghpat) in the west and Shamli (in district Muzaffarnagar) in the north-west.

Tradition has it that the place was founded by Sarkat, a raja, and remained in the possession of his descendants till the advent of the Muslims ( probably early in the thirteenth century ), Thereafter it passed into the hands of the mahajans Dusar and Bishan. In 1778 Walter Reinhardt was assigned the jagir of Sardhana but on his death  in that year the estate passed into the hands of his widow, Begum Samru. During her time (1778-1836) it rose to the appex of its prosperity but declined considerably after her death.

The surrounding lands are served by  a network of canals and abound in shallow depressions and the site of the town is low throughout, some of the factors which have led to its general unhealthiness except in years when the rainfall is scanty.

church1.jpg (22110 bytes)

CHURCH, SARDHANA

It is being administered as a notified area since 1914, prior to which it was a muncipality. It is divided into five muhallas of which Laskarganj, lying in the north and founded by Begum Samru as a camp for her troops,forms the chief bazar. A market is held on Fridays. Electricity is supplied to the town from the salawa power-house. In the place are Begum Samru's palace (with a grand flight of steps at what was then the entrance and extensive grounds) and the Church of St.mary,   both built in 1822 by the Begum. The former (known as Dilkusha Kothi) now houses the St. Charles' College and covers an area of 75 acres; the latter , formerly a cathedral, which has an alter of white Jaipur marble inlaid  with precious stones, is the most famous of her buildings. In an aisle of the church there is monuments to the begum (executed by Tadolini of Rome, the famous sculptor) which is a fine piece of sculpture ( the crowning figure being that of the begum) and is said to be unparalleled in these parts. It was brought to Sardhana in 1848 and was set up in her memory by her adopted son. David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre, whose mortal remains are buried at its foot.

The Sardhana  has Municipality having population of 42980 and its area is 14.05 sqare kms. Administratively the city is divided into 16 wards.   The educational institutions of the town include an intermediate college, a higher secondary schools, a junior high school , 6 junior Basic schools and 2maktabs. The tahsil buildings, the post and telegraph office, the police-station and the registration office are located in Laskrganj, It also has a hospital, a maternity centre, an inspection house ( of the irrigation department) and a seed store.

The place is the headquarters of a stage I development block to which it gives its name and which started functioning on July 1, 1957, has a population of 111116 and an area of 181.5 Square Kms.The important fair of the town is that of Burha Babu which is held in April on the Ramlila grounds, the approximate daily attendance being 1,500. The handloom industry of the place enjoys considerable local reputation.

Begum Samru was built a famouus Curch and a Fort.  The construction work of Girjaghar was started at 1809 and was completed on 1820. The Mela was organised on November's 2nd sunday and on 25th December. In this curch the Main statue of Begum Samru, which was built by while marble. This statue was was prepared at Itli later it was bring to Sardhana. Also there are 9 temples, 3 mosques and one gurudwara.

Mawana

The municipal town of Mawana ( the headquarters of the north-eastern tahsil of the district) lies in Latitude 29 degree 6' N and Logitude 77 degree 56'E ,and is 26 Kms from Meerut with which it is connected by metalled road. Other roads lead to Hastinapur, Parichhatgarh, Phalauda and Bahasuma. This place is also called Mawana Kalan to distinguish it from Mawana Khurd, a village lying  6 Kms to the west. Local tradition has it that the place was originally called Mawana after Mana, a huntsman and a reputed servant of the Kauravas (of Mahabharata fame). According to another account it was one of the gates of the ancient city of Hastinapur and was known as Muhana (gate) - a name that subsequently became Mawana. There is hillock close by which is said to be the original site of the village. Owing to the breaking out of fires, which the inhabitants ascribed to supernatural agencies, the old site was abandoned and the people settled down here.

It is munispality city, for administarive purpose it is divided into 16 wards. According to census-1991 the population of this city is 51700 and area is 4 square kms. There are Post & Telegraph Office, Telephone Exchange, Thana, Junior School, Primary Schools, Degree College, Inter College, Hospital, Phc's and Inspection house, Cold Store and various dharmshala and seed stores are in Mawana. A famous sugar factory is located here which is on third number in India. It is an important sugar-producing centre. It is also known for its handloom industry.

There is an old pakka tank here on the Bahsuma road which was constructed by one Kesho Das of Jansath and is now in a dilapidated condition. There also exist the ruins of another tank the Jaddi on the edge of which stands  a fine Shiva temple built more than 350 years ago, which is also in a dilapidated condition. In spite of this there are 17 temples, 21 mosque, 3 Imambara , 2 ponds, one Gurudwara, one Ashok Tower, One Madarsa, One Sulphur Factory, Chauhano ki chaupal, Jaiss Club, Cinema halls at Mawana.

According to Census-1991 the population of Mawana Block is 120274 and area is 216.5 square kms. And nine Naya panchayats , 50 gram sabha are there.

Parikishatgarh

Parichhatgarh, also known as Qila or Qila Parikishatgarh, is an ancientplace and lies in latitude 28 degree 59'N and Logitude 77 degrre 56'E. 22 Kms east of the district headquarters with which it is connected by a metalled road. Other roads link it to Mawana Kalan, lying 16 Kms north and to Kithore, which is 15 Kms. to the south.

The place is associated with and derives its name from King Parikshit of Hastinapur (the grandson of Arjuna) and it is believed that it is on the ruins of a fort built by him that the present fort (ascribed to the Gujar raja, Nain Singh) stands. In 1916 a big hoard of silver coins, mostly of the time of Shah Alam II, was found under the staircase of the place. The Navalde well here is known for its water which is regarded by local people as a specific for leprosy. A local story goes that on being told that his new-born daughter, Navalde, would bring him disaster, the Naga king, Vasuki, threw her into a dungeon. His affliction of leprosy was healed when he had a bath in the water brought by her from a certain well (which is supposed to be this well), Parikshit fell in love with her but she managed to elude him. Vasuki was enraged by Parikshit's behaviour and in the war waged against him the latter was killed. After her father's cure Navalde disappeared inside the well. The Gandhari Talab located here is named after Gandhari, the mother of the hundred Kauravas. From 6 kms away there is Rishi Shrang Ashram, this ashram is converted to temple now. It was said Maharishi Vedvyas start to write the Mahabharata here at this temple.

According to the census 1991 the population of the place is 133961 and area is 324.8 square Kms. There are Nine nayay panchayat and 54 gram sabha. A market is held here on Mondays and Thursdays. A fair, known as the Chhariyon-ka-Mela, is held here in Sravana every year and is attended by several persons.

Pura

Pura lies in Latitude 29 degree 0' N and longitude 77 degree 27' E near the right bank of the river Hindon on the road running from Daula to Sardhana, about 3 Kms north of the road going from Baghpat to Meerut. It is 28 Kms distant from Baghpat and 32 Kms from Meerut. According to a local tradition, the sage Parashurama founded a Shiva temple here and named the place Shivapuri which in process of time became changed to Shivpura and then got shortened to Pura. The village has a population of 2155 and area 563 hectare. The main crop is sugar-cane, tubewells being one of the chief sources of irrigation. pura.jpg (35324 bytes)

 

 

 

 

PURA MAHADEV, BAGHPAT

Fairs are held here on the fourteenth day of Sravana and Phalguna which are attended by one lakh to one & halh lakh respectively. This comes under Pliana block of Baghpat district.

Kharkhauda

This town lies in latitude 28 degree 50'N and longitude 77 degree 45'E on the western side of the road going from Meerut to Hapur, about 18 Kms south of the former. It gives its name to a railway station on the Meerut-Khurja line of the Northen Railway. A regular bus service is available here for Meerut and Hapur.

Kharkhauda is an ancient place where the stables of the rajas of Hastinapur are said to have been located and which is said to derive its name from Kharak meaning a stall. Another tradition connects it with Khara and Dushana, the brothers of Ravana, the rakshasa king of Lanka (now Srilanka). The town began to flourish in the time of Humayun.  According to census-1991 its population was 10550 and area 1.75 square kms. The population of Kharkhauda block is 111024 and area is 184.4 square kms as per 1991 census.

Kithore

Kithore lies in latitude 28 degree 52'N and longitude 77 degree 56'E on the road running from Meerut to Garhmukteshwar, 28 Kms south-east of the former. Another road connects this place with Mawana, which is 28 Kms to the north. Government roadways buses run on the road to Meerut and private buses run between Kithore and Mawana.

As regards the origin of the name of the place, the story goes that when one the way to Garhmukteshwar to have a dip in the Ganga, a raja named Kamud Singh was robbed here by the people of the place, which was known Krishnapuri. He attacked and defeated them and named the place 'Kuthaur' (evil place) which later became Kithore.

As per census 1991 the population of this city is 14471 and area is 3.63 square kms.. The principal commercial crop are sugar-cane and tobacco, the Anupshahr branch of the Ganga canal being the chief source of irrigation. A market is held here every saturday.

Lawar

Lawar , a small town, lies latitude 29 degree 7'N and longitude 77 degree 47'E about 16 Kms. north of Meerut with which it is connected by an metalled road. Formerly it was the headquarters of a tappa (a unit of revenue administration) containing 45 villages (including Phalauda) and is said to have been seized from the Rajputs by Mir Surkh, a resident of Mazendaran. The population of the town is  14471 and area is 3,63 square kms as per the census 1991.

The handloom work and kambals are famous of this place.

Bahsuma

A large village lying in latitude 29 degree 12'N and longitude 77 degree 58'E., Bahsuma is 35 Kms north-east of Meerut with which it is connected by a road. Another road links it to Mawana which lies 11 Kms to the south and a third to Bijnor district in the north.

According to the tradition, Bahsuma was a muhalla of Hastinapur (which is about 5 Kms south-east of the village) and served as the treasury of the Kauravas and Pandavas, the place deriving its name from 'vasu' which means treasure. In the times of Gujar raja, Nain Singh of Parichhatgarh, it became the headquarters of the government. The house of the raja and a fort built by him still stand in the village.

The population of this village is 9060 and area is 3.00 square kms as per census 1991. The main crop is sugar-cane and a canal is the chief source of irrigation. The weekly market day is tuesday. The weaving of handloom cloth is the main industry of the place, cloths being exported.

Baleni

Baleni, a large village, lies in latitude 28 degree 57'N and longitude 77 degree 27'E on the right bank of the river Hindon, south of the road running from Baghpat to Meerut, about 22 kms east of Baghpat and 27 Kms west of Meerut. This place is now in district Baghpat.

The place is associated with the sage Balmiki. It is said that it was in his hermitage here that Sita lived in exile and gave birth to Lava and Kusha. In the vicinity of the temple, which is dedicated to Balmiki, have been found scattered ancient burnt bricks bearing religious motifs. According to local tradition, the village has five tutelary deities, one said to reside in the centre and the remaining four at four boundaries of the village. According to census 1991 the population of this place is 5058 and area is 396 hectares.

Barnawa

Barnawa, the headquarters of the paragana, is situated on the high right bank of the river Hindan, about a mile north of its junction with the Krishna, in latitude 29 degree 7'N and longitude 77 degree 26'E. It is about 18 Kms distant from Sardhana and 36 Kms from Meerut.

The place is said to have been founded by Raja Ahibarana Tomar many centuries ago and is identified with the Varanavata of the Mahabharata and the old mound to the south of the village, which is about hundred feet high and extends over an area of 30 acres, is believed to be the ruins of the Laksha Garaha  (home of lac) which the Kauravas burnt down in their attempt to kill the Pandavas. This village was the headquarters of a tahsil in the state of Begum Samru till1836 when (after her death) it was made subsidiary to Baraut and then to Sardhana.