autosport.com
Search:
  SUBSCRIBERS LOGIN
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 
A A A Email Friend
 GO TO EARLIER STORY GO TO THE NEWS INDEX GO TO NEXT STORY 
FOTA teams to launch breakaway series


FOTAThe Formula One Teams' Association announced on Thursday night that it is setting up a breakaway championship.

Following a four-hour meeting at Renault's Enstone factory, the eight members of FOTA - Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Brawn, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso - said they had grown frustrated with the FIA's stance against the organisation, and had no option but to create a series of their own.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a statement issued by FOTA after the meeting.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

F1 teams were given until Friday evening to remove the conditions attached to the provisional entries they posted earlier this month, or risk being left off the grid in 2010.

FIA president Max Mosley wrote to the teams yesterday offering them some of the concessions that they wanted to see regarding governance of the sport, but made it clear that he was sticking to plans for the introduction of a budget cap.

In his letter, Mosley also urged the teams to sign up to the championship before sorting out the final version of the regulations and a redrafted Concorde Agreement.

In response to that letter, the teams met at Renault's Enstone headquarters on Thursday evening for lengthy talks, where they finally decided that there was no way a compromise deal could be reached with the FIA.

The teams expressed frustration that their efforts to try and improve F1 had been rebuffed by the governing body and the sport's commercial rights holder.

"Since the formation of FOTA last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder, to develop and improve the sport," said the statement.

"Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community. FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.

"In particular the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the FOTA initiatives. The FOTA teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future.

"Following these efforts all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.

"The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide FOTA.

"The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006. Despite this and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise."

The announcement by FOTA looks certain to overshadow the British Grand Prix, which takes place at Silverstone for the final time this weekend and which Mosley is expected to attend tomorrow.

With FOTA's stance now seemingly leaving no room for a deal possible, it's likely that more new teams will be added to the FIA's 2010 Formula 1 entry list.

The inclusion of Ferrari, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso on that roster remains open to debate, however, with the FIA claiming that the teams committed themselves to F1 in a deal agreed several years ago.

  ADS BY GOOGLE
 Go to earlier story Go to the News Index Go to next story 
    advertisement
  RELATED STORIES
FOTA denies compromise deal is close
Mosley open to talks with FOTA
Q & A with Ross Brawn
FOTA beginning work on new series
Mosley not expecting quick resolution
FOTA series could attract new teams
Mosley unlikely to step down amid crisis
Button: Staying with top teams is priority
Mosley believes split unlikely to happen
Ferrari stays silent on FIA's legal threat
Theissen: FOTA left with no choice
FIA to launch legal action against FOTA
Force India waiting on F1 future
Ecclestone urged to broker peace deal
Fry: FIA talks conducted in good faith
Horner: F1 future now in FIA's hands
FIA blames factions in FOTA for split
FOTA to meet to discuss FIA response
Mosley outlines deal offer to teams
Mosley offers deal but deadline stands
FOTA urges for compromise in row
The full statement from the FIA
FIA: FOTA trying to control F1 rules
FIA says £40m budget cap going ahead
FOTA: No comment on FIA statement
FIA 'surprised' by ACEA's calls
Brawn: Formula 1 must learn from row
FIA: FOTA members preventing deal
ACEA wants change to F1 governance
FOTA vows to change 'bad' FIA rules
FOTA seeking 'sensible governance'
FOTA asks WMSC to intervene in F1 row
Formula 1 awaits 2010 entry list
Mosley to meet with teams today
Hill warns F1 not to repeat IRL mistake
Ecclestone would fight breakaway series
FIA hints at progress as FOTA responds
Schumacher: F1 needs manufacturers
FOTA plans response to Mosley
Manufacturers could face legal challenge
Mosley: FOTA should enter to shape F1
Massa: Formula 1 row a nightmare
Mallya wants FOTA suspension reversed
Drivers support FOTA in F1 future row
Drivers and FOTA discuss F1 crisis
Brawn pledges commitment to FOTA
Briatore baffled by FIA/FOTA row
Force India lodges unconditional entry
Force India facing FOTA suspension
Q & A with Mario Theissen
Start your own series, Mosley tells FOTA
Q & A with John Howett
Howett: Unity will make F1 stronger
Q & A with Stefano Domenicali
Domenicali: Entries not a climbdown
Exclusive Q & A with John Howett
FOTA teams submit F1 entries for 2010
FOTA agrees on plan to help new teams
Parr: Williams not trying to split FOTA
Williams team suspended by FOTA
McLaren feels 'peacemaker' in FIA row
Williams submits F1 entry for 2010
Teams demand FIA ditch 2010 rules
Mosley: Cost cap solution in sight
Teams continue work on F1 agreement
Fry: Talks have made good progress
Teams fail to reach agreement with FIA
Santander confident of F1 agreement
Di Montezemolo: F1 teams are united
Ecclestone warns Ferrari of legal action
Theissen urges teams to remain positive
Ecclestone worried Ferrari may leave F1
Q & A with Kimi Raikkonen
Raikkonen pledges future to Ferrari
FIA welcomes verdict, criticises Ferrari
Ferrari board to discuss F1 future
  RELATED LINKS
Enter Fantasy League Formula 1 2009
F1 2009 season guide
Get autosport.com news alerts to your mobile
Visit the autosport.com shop
Haymarket