Monday June 22 2009

GotFrag Hardware Forums

KB, Mouse & Pad for $120

5% Ranking 5% Ranking 5% Ranking 5% Ranking
0 Frags
+   -

Hey guys,

I've been out of the competitive scene for a while, but I still like to pug/10man CS sometimes. I need a good keyboard for typing (I'm a programmer) + gaming (so it shouldn't ghost), a nice gaming mouse and a mouse pad to go with it.

For $120USD, what combination would you recommend?

cheers,
Draknir
7% Ranking 7% Ranking 7% Ranking 7% Ranking
+2 Frags
+   -

Keyboard
A keyboard that is good for typing has mechanical switches. It will cost you a little more.. but it's totally worth it. They are a lot more durable, more consistent, more responsive and simply better to type on compared to the usual membrane keyboards. Read http://hothardware.com/cs/blogs/mrtg/arch..
(you can start from the 2nd paragraph)

You will maybe want one with Cherry Brown switches because they have a tactile feeling and are the lightest, thus easy to hold down (fps-gaming in mind). Also, ABS M1 that has simplified black ALPS-copy switches which are close to Cherry Browns is going cheap on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp..

Mouse
Get a microsoft one.. wheel mouse optical, intellimouse explorer and intellimouse optical are considered as gaming-grade mice. Other optical mice have prediction so you might not want them. Many people will argue about this because they are happy with their shiny MX518's or deathadders.. but the truth is, prediction hurts your aim. You can find plenty of info on this on the web. Plus MS mice are relatively cheap, but top-end quality. You can get a wmo at no cost these days.

Mouse pad
Now the pad is more complicated.. it depends on whether you prefer cloth or hard pads. If you prefer cloth, I've heard that the puretrak talent is close to the legendary DKTpad. So if I were you I'd probably pick it. On the other hand, you won't go wrong with a QcK heavy either.. I've had a few of those myself. In the end you want something that is thick, smooth and relatively durable.

If you prefer hard pads, like I do, I can't help myself but recommend the Icemat. Yes this is another pricey product I'm recommending but it's - again - totally worth it. For years I bought different pads to find the best one, until I got the Icemat, which I've now used for like an year. The thing that makes Icemat the best is that it won't wear down, not even after years of hard gaming, because it is made of glass. It will always provide you with a consistent mousing feel. One negative thing about it is though that you have to change your mouse feet every now and then. I use hyperglides (ms-3) at the moment, but also SlickSurf's work great (and last a lot longer) with the Icemat.

This comment was edited at 06/20/2009 8:31 PM
19% Ranking 19% Ranking 19% Ranking 19% Ranking
-1 Frags
+   -

i disagree fully with "prediction hurts your aim". I upgraded my DA to no prediction and my FPR dropped to like .5 for 2 weeks while i couldn't figure out why the eff i wasn't doing so badly. when i finally realized that it was the mouse i changed it back to normal with prediction and all the sudden i'm good again. maybe if you have alwyas used non prediction mice then you'll be good without prediction, but coming from someone who used the imo 1.1 for like 6 years, and then DA for only about a year, i still prefer prediction to no prediction.
14% Ranking 14% Ranking 14% Ranking 14% Ranking
+1 Frags
+   -

how do u turn on / off prediction. i play DA without the drivers. just plug n play
Mera Bharat Mahan
14% Ranking 14% Ranking 14% Ranking 14% Ranking
0 Frags
+   -

in order to turn off prediction, you have to update your DA to 1.28 firmware

if you wanna turn it back on, just downgrade to 1.27
E8400 @ 3.8GHz | Gigabyte P35-DS3L | 4GB Corsair | Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 | 500GB | 8800gt|
0 Frags
+   -

I already looked at the ABS M1, but #2s recommendation helped me make up my mind. As for a glass mousepad, is a SteelSeries I2 equivalent to an IceMat?

I like optical mice, I've previously used a Razer Diamondback and a Logitech G1. I haven't decided what I'll get for my new setup though.

This comment was edited at 06/21/2009 11:51 AM

#6 the steelseries i-experience are icemats.
but yea i have a cheap "ergonomic" keyboard and it's good. no need for a $70 keyboard.
[quote]I already sent it in to steam, he should say goodbye to his account.[/quote]
8% Ranking 8% Ranking 8% Ranking 8% Ranking
0 Frags
+   -

mouse - mx518
keyboard - logitech elite
mousepad - if you like hard pads, id say a func pad or a steelseries S&S;, and if cloth id say get a puretrak talent or a qck heavy
7% Ranking 7% Ranking 7% Ranking 7% Ranking
+1 Frags
+   -

#6 good choice. This is what the ABS M1 sounds when typing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oue4KQkmBEM
It is a little loud, that's exactly why I chose a Filco Majestouch with Brown Cherries.

like #7 said SteelSeries I2 is Icemat 2nd edition

If you have no problem with the mouse prediction, G1 is a great mouse. My dream mouse would actually be a MS 3.0 in a mx300/g1 shape.

#8 logitech elite is a good keyboard compared to other membrane keyboards, I had it before I bought a filco. However those elites aren't manufactured anymore, and mechanical keyboards are better.

func archetype and steelseries S&S; are good hard pads, but they'll begin to degrade as soon as you start using them. In 4-6 months you'll have a totally different feeling surface than you had when you bought it.

This comment was edited at 06/21/2009 3:06 PM
15% Ranking 15% Ranking 15% Ranking 15% Ranking
0 Frags
+   -

Stick with what you have.

G1 or diamondback.

There is no point in trying to use a different mouse.

You will buy one mouse and suck with it, then think you should have bought the other mouse and still suck with it.

If you're comfortable with it and the technology is good (both g1 and diamondback are fine, they shouldnt skip) then keep at it.

Just my 2 cents.

(Btw I'm back to using my mx300 and ordered a couple of G1s)
0 Frags
+   -

#8: Why do you recommend the MX518?

Thanks #9. I just looked up the MS 3.0 and I was pleasantly surprised that it had side buttons, for some reason in my head it was a 2 button + wheel mouse. Will definitely consider that. Can you link me any information about mouse prediction?

#10: I love my G1 to bits, but it has no thumb button which is something I sorely miss. I had 2 Diamondbacks before that, they were fantastic, but they broke really easy (the cord).
15% Ranking 15% Ranking 15% Ranking 15% Ranking
0 Frags
+   -

The top mice i recommend are as follows (i have probably had these on hand and used them too)

Logitech - mx300, mx500~518, g1
Microsoft - wmo, imo, ime
Razer - deathadder

These are all great mice.

Microsoft has no prediction but a cheap quality feel to them (but don't worry, these babies will last you years!)

Logitech has a very sturdy build, my mx300, 500, 510 all lasted me 5~7 years of good hard use. These have prediction

Deathadder is also a great, u can have prediction or not.. but i'd recommend the ime3.0 if you dont want to spend the mone (its ver similar in shape)

Thumb buttons arent Required, but if you do like them i'd tell u to go with:

ime3.0, deathadder, mx518.

They are all winners~. Cheers mate.

Submit Comments

Registered Users Only

In order to post comments, you must be a registered member. If you have not registered, it's free and easy!

Latest Poll