Thursday June 25, 2009

Search Stories

Advanced Search

Search Directory

Businesses, Community Groups
Promenade mall jewelry thief handed five-year sentence
Promenade mall jewelry thief handed five-year sentence
MORE STORIES
Vaughan
June 10, 2009 05:44 PM


BY JOE FANTAUZZI

A Toronto man accused of terrorizing a Thornhill neighbourhood, following a 2007 jewelry store robbery at Promenade Mall, has been handed a five-year sentence.

Quincy Cave, 31, pleaded guilty last month to two counts of robbery while armed with a firearm and one count each of pointing a firearm, discharging a firearm, forcible confinement, failing to stop for police, breaching probation and breaching a probation order.

Last Thursday, Justice Peter West sentenced Mr. Cave to nine years in custody. He was credited for four years spent in pre-trial custody and will serve another five years.

He was also handed a lifetime weapons ban, a three-year driving ban and he was ordered to provide a DNA sample, police said.

At about 1 p.m. June 11, 2007, police responded to four calls from staff at four different stores in the Bathurst and Centre streets-area mall.

One of the calls came from the Jewellery Company, where police were told a man in the store was waving a gun and ordering employees to fill up a bag with jewelry, police said.

After getting nearly $300,000 worth of jewelry, a man ran from the store and was followed by mall security officers outside.

Police, including the force's helicopter, quickly converged on the area.

When security guard chased the man, he turned and pointed a silver and black semi-automatic pistol at them, police said.

The man then bolted across Bathurst Street into a condo complex where he again pointed the weapon at the security officers, police said.

That's when police say the man ran into the yard of Leo Baeck Day School on Atkinson Avenue.

A teacher spotted the police helicopter in the air and immediately brought the children into the school.

As he did, the suspect confronted him and started waving the gun in his direction, police said.

Police alerted area schools to go into lockdown.

Refusing police orders to surrender, the man hid behind a garbage can near the school's parking lot, pointed his weapon and fired. Police returned fire but did not hit him.

No one was hurt.

The man then went to a home on nearby Rodeo Drive where he confronted a woman standing outside her garage. He pointed the gun at her as she tried to run inside her home and then forced his way inside, police said.

After finding another woman inside the home, both women were forced inside a van in the garage. The van reversed onto Rodeo Drive towards an officer who fired his gun in an attempt to stop the man from leaving with the women, police said. No one in the van was hit.

The man led police on a chase across Bathurst to New Westminster Drive and drove into a parking lot on Centre Street toward Dufferin Street. From Dufferin the suspect drove onto Langstaff Road and then onto Hwy. 7.

At Keele Street and Hwy. 7 in Concord, the man lost control of the van, where he was arrested. Police seized a Co2-powered pellet gun.

The two women were not hurt. The man was treated at hospital for minor injuries suffered in the collision.


© Copyright 2008
Metroland
Torstar Digital
The Topic
Vacation Rentals
Insurance Hotline
All content contained in this or any other yorkregion.com website including but not limited to textual, audio, video and any graphics are copyright 2000-2008 Metroland Media Group Ltd. and can not be used in any part without expressed written permission, with the exception of content in the yorkregion.com Pen & Pixel section, which requires the written consent of the authors.
About Us | Ad Rates | Be A Carrier | Circulation | Community Service | Contact Us | Press Centre | Privacy Policy | RSS | Site Map
FAQ | Readers' Choice | Web Services | York Region Printing