After having led Pakistan to their second successive ICC World Twenty20 final, Shahid Afridi once again is their knight in shining armour as he clinches the trophy for them at Lord’s.
Click here for Afridi's profile
Afridi scored an all important 54 off 40 balls and took a wicket as well to claim the man-of-the-match laurels.
After Pakistan bowlers ripped apart Sri Lankan batting, Afridi also chipped in with the wicket of Isuru Udana.
Images from the Final
Then in response to Sri Lanka’s 138/6, Pakistan openers Kamran Akmal and Shahzaib Hasan started well and Afridi wrapped it all up with the brilliant half-century.
- Shahid Afridi (54 not out off 40 balls) has posted his career-best score, bettering the 51 off 34 balls against South Africa at Nottingham on June 18, 2009. These are his only two fifty-plus innings in Twenty20 Internationals.
It's all about numbers
- Afridi and Shoaib Malik were associated in a stand of 76 (unbroken) for the third wicket - Pakistan's best against Sri Lanka, eclipsing the 48 between Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq at King City on October 11, 2008.
- The aforesaid stand is Pakistan's best for the third wicket in the ICC World Twenty20, eclipsing the 67 between Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik against South Africa at Trent Bridge on June 18, 2009.
- Afridi has been adjudged the Man of the Match for the fifth time in Twenty20 Internationals - one each against England, Scotland, Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka.
- Afridi became the first player to receive the Man of the Match awards in the Semi Final and the Final of the same ICC World Twenty20.
Name: Sahibzada Mohammad Shahid Khan Afridi
Date of Birth: March 1, 1980, Khyber Agency
Batting style: Right-hand bat
Bowling style: Right-arm medium
|23||23||371|| 54 NO||17.00||152.40|