We get our title from one of the most famous Archbishops of Canterbury ever to hold that title - St. Thomas Becket.
St. Thomas was famously murdered by four knights who thought they were doing Henry II a favour by getting rid of "this troublesome priest" in 1170.
This took place in Canterbury Cathedral on 29th Dec.1170. Soon afterwards Becket's tomb became a place of pilgrimage and pilgrims made their way to Canterbury from all over the land and Europe.
Not long after the event this church was built as a stage on the pilgrim route for those from even further West and making the journey from Brittany.
As you may have noticed the church is very difficult to find in the village but is very clear and obvious from the River and the West bank.
In the Victorian times the church needed to be rebuilt and was done so within the walls of the earlier church and the Tower, Font and Tomb of Brother Phillip remain from this earlier age.