|John Gresham Of Aylmerton and Holt
Gr gr gr gr gr grandfather of Sir Edward Gresham of Titseay
[Edward de Gresham 1312, Roger de Gresham 1260/1589?, Roger de Gresham 1230/1259,
Sir Peter de Branche 1200/1229, Unknown de Braunche 1170/1199, Richard de Branche, William de Branche,
Sir Richard de Braunche abt 1050, Sir Ralph de Braunche abt 1030
[The manor house at Holt]
1. John Gresham the son of Edward de Gresham was born1 in 1340 in Aylmerton Norfolk county. He died2 in 1410 in Aylmerton Norfolk county. John resided in 1340 in Aylmerton Norfolk county. He also resided3 in 1395 in Holt county of Norfolk.
HISTORY: Edward III 1327-1377 "During John's lifetime, Edward III reigned and the long struggle with France which was called the Hunded Years' War, began. The war was brought to a temporary halt in 1348 when the Black Death swept over Western Europe and more than a fourth of England's population perished. Whole villages were wiped out, and great area of farmland went to weeds." GAWYSI Vol II No3 July 1996 page 85
Richard II 1377-1399 "Richard II grandson of Edward III became King in 1377 at the age of 10. His cousin Henry Duke of Lancaster, led a revolt against him in 1399. Then imprisoned Richard II in the Tower of London and compelled him to abdicate." GAWYSI ibid Henry IV 1399-1413
GAWYSI: vol 11 No 3 Apr 1996 pp 85 - 86 "John Gresham - born in 1340 - died ca 1410. son of Edward Gresham of GRESHAM and AYLMERTONIn 1397 the following record was found: "Fine between John Aylmer and Helewise his wife, John son of Edward Gresham. John Gresham and others of lands in Aylmerton, GRESham, and other townns, where by they were settled on Helewise for life, remainder to John, son of Edward Gresham intail" [fines of Land, Norf Hil. 39 ED III, f. 3b,]
BURIAL: The exact burial place for John Gresham b 1340 is but a guess. It is John's great grand father Roger who took the name of de Gresham. Evidently he removed from his father's holdings to Aylmerton leaving his brother Nicholas de Branche perhaps with the entailed lands in Gresham. If this be so, then, it is around this period that direct connection with the village of Gresham ceases to exist for this segment of the familly. John may or may not have moved to Holt. However he did have an interest in the manor house there.
MARRIAGE: John married Margaret
John Gresham and Margaret had the following children:
M i. John Gresham was born4 in 1390. He died5 in 1450. John resided in 1414 in Holt Norfolk County U. K..
John married Unknown .
1. Carol Grisham Byrom, GAWYSI VOL 11 #3 JULY 1996 PAGES 85-86, 16 May 2000. "John was the first of his family to be associated with the small market town of Holt." The Manor House at Holt continued in the family until 1546 whern the then Sir John created a school at the site.
2. Carol Grisham Byrom, GAWYSI VOL 11 #3 JULY 1996 PAGES 85-86, 16 May 2000.
3. GAWYSI vol 11 #3 July 1996 , volume 11 page 85-86. "John was the first of the family to be associated with the small market town of Holt. He together with his fellow trustees of the manor of Holt Pereers, was given permission in 1407 to grant the reversion of the manor, then held for life by Katherine Bacon to the Augustinian Priory of Beeston Regis." The manor at Holt remained a family seat until 1546 when Sir John Gresham purchased it from his brother William and converted it into a school which is in existence even to this day.
4.Carol Grisham Byrom, GAWYSI VOL 11 #3 JULY 1996 PAGES 85-86, 15 May 2000.
5. Carol Grisham Byrom, GAWYSI VOL 11 #3 JULY 1996 PAGES 85-86, 15 May 2000.