The Delegates Meeting

Discuss issues that directly relate to the USCF or FIDE. Posts need to be relevant and stay on topic. Please be respectful to everyone...

The Delegates Meeting

Postby jlemoine on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm monitoring the Delegates Meeting. They announced that the Delegates will take up Susan's and Paul's appeal to the move to Revoke their USCF Memberships at 2 pm. The meeting will be closed to the public. There will be no recordings made of it.

Also, it was announced that Susan and Paul will be allowed to play in USCF tournaments even if their USCF memberships are revoked.
jlemoine
MOD
MOD

FIDE Rating: 0
Languages: English

Re: The Delegates Meeting

Postby Wick on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:46 pm

jlemoine wrote:I'm monitoring the Delegates Meeting. They announced that the Delegates will take up Susan's and Paul's appeal to the move to Revoke their USCF Memberships at 2 pm. The meeting will be closed to the public. There will be no recordings made of it.

Also, it was announced that Susan and Paul will be allowed to play in USCF tournaments even if their USCF memberships are revoked.

Reportedly, the closing of the meeting is mandated by Roberts' Rules of Order, which specify that disciplinary matters should be conducted in executive session.
Wick
Queen (100 Posts)
Queen (100 Posts)

Postby Zarathustra on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:57 pm

jlemoine wrote:Also, it was announced that Susan and Paul will be allowed to play in USCF tournaments even if their USCF memberships are revoked.

Can someone show me in the Bylaws of the United States Chess Federation that someone can have their membership to the United States Chess Federation revoked and still play in over the board tournaments as a non-member of the United States Chess Federation? It is like someone that was excommunicated from the Catholic church and still receives the sacrament.
GRAND TOTAL LEGAL FEES 2008-2009 $408,149.54
I’m predicting that we will be bankrupt by next year’s delegates’ meeting, which may not be so bad – Joe Lux
If enough rich people die this year and leave money to the USCF, we'll be in fine shape! - Mulfish
Zarathustra
King (500 Posts)
King (500 Posts)

Chess Title (GM, Club TD, etc): Michigan Chess Association – Secretary (2007)

Postby jlemoine on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:34 pm

yes, the whole thing strikes me as very wierd. My guess is that they are saying that just to get the vote but later on they will "discover" that they cannot allow them to play. Just like they "discovered" that they couldn't take up the appeal until 2 p.m. (after the key Delegate votes ratifying the EB actions) instead of the promised early appeal.

BTW it is 5:30 and Terry Vibbert reports that he just walked by the doors and they are still closed.
jlemoine
MOD
MOD

Postby jlemoine on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Z, I've got more word on the legal ramifications of Susan playing in USCF tournaments as a non-member. Goichberg is saying that since she is a GM, she can play as a "foreign GM". Even though she resides in the US.
jlemoine
MOD
MOD

Postby jlemoine on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm

File this piece of news as very preliminary and could very well be wrong. Susan's and Paul's membership has been revoked by the Delegates a short while ago.

My source: Louis Blair at USCF's Forums. I have asked Louis for his source and he has yet to respond. I will keep you updated as reports come in.
jlemoine
MOD
MOD

Postby jlemoine on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:46 pm

From Louis Blair: "I was sitting outside the meeting, listening to people as they came out."
jlemoine
MOD
MOD

Postby RustyMiller on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:50 pm

John Hillary gives the vote on his blog and Susan and Paul are out! Guess that probably means an election in 2010.

Russell Miller, Camas WA
RustyMiller
Bishop (20 Posts)
Bishop (20 Posts)

Postby jlemoine on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:55 pm

From the USCF's Forum Moderator:

"Bill Hall has stated that there is to be no posting of any details from today's Executive Session of the Delegates' Meeting. The only fact that is to be released is the vote tally.

Do not post any facts about the meeting or your post will be pulled.

Please observe this in consideration for all parties involved."

Interesting. We are not allowed to know the result, even?
jlemoine
MOD
MOD

Postby jlemoine on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:58 pm

Terry_Vibbert wrote:I had 2 different delegates confirm the outcome.

The count to uphold the EB action was:

Paul Truong: 58 for, 18 against, 5 abstaining
Susan Polgar: 55 for, 21 against, 5 abstaining
jlemoine
MOD
MOD

Next

Return to USCF / FIDE issues